Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:47 PM EDT
My first thought was that it was a possum.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a water snake. Lots of people kill them because they kinda look like water moccasins when they get bigger. No need to kill it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
never heard of a possum snake.....

but no idea.  i hate snakes!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
hummm the blurr snake. Extremely hard to photograph because of its predator like camo...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
nerodia fasciata AKA Banded Water Snake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
If I see a snake in the water, it becomes a dead snake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent mentality to have, Especially for a LEO. Kudo's
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

post 87...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

post 87...

Am I missing the moral to this story ? Or does your Inflated post count somehow make you morally superior ?

I don't give a Damn if he wants to kill every animal he see's... that's his malfunction. Just seems like a Piss Poor mentality for a LEO to post in public... Especially in light of todays Lawyers.... Oh, wait... your a Lawyer. Looks Like I am not going to win here. Or did I ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I see a snake in the water, it becomes a dead snake.

I'm not an LEO and I would kill any snake in the water with me. I don't have time to see if he his friendly or not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Brownie is awesome.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

post 87...

Am I missing the moral to this story ? Or does your Inflated post count somehow make you morally superior ?
I don't give a Damn if he wants to kill every animal he see's... that's his malfunction. Just seems like a Piss Poor mentality for a LEO to post in public... Especially in light of todays Lawyers.... Oh, wait... your a Lawyer. Looks Like I am not going to win here. Or did I ?

Lighten up.  Kind of an inside joke playing on the precise number of your post count AND the post count, dude (not just the noobiness aspect).  Go look up what an "87" means in Arf-Speak.  Then it will make a little more sense.  
Don't provoke the lawyers unnecessarily.  They're like Pit Bulls.  They will bite you if you piss them off.  They may be loud, annoying, and look the same on both ends, but there are situations when you want them on your side.
Your welcome.  
BTW, based on your post count, be happy no one calls you an "88", no matter how inappropriate.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't really see a point in killing the snake for no reason. I know some people are just terrified of them. I don't even kill poisonous snakes. If I catch a copperhead in the yard, it just gets relocated. I used to breed reptiles though, so I am a softie for them. I could care less about shooting a possum or whatever in the yard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
It's all good... I try not to get ass hurt on the net.

I had / Have no idea about the 87 gimmick...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's all good... I try not to get ass hurt on the net.
I had / Have no idea about the 87 gimmick...

- A nonsensical answer to nonsensical numerical questions. For example,
someone might ask "How many magazines should I buy?" There is no
meaningful answer to this question because it varies according to each
persons' unique circumstances, so the canned answer becomes "87".
Originated by markm,
it has since taken on a life of its own and is used by others who think
it makes a funny in-joke. The number 87 is also associated with several other meanings in general usage.
Follow the link, you will learn much in the way of ARFcom.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=12&f=1&t=16

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I disagree.  It looks to me like a Northern Watersnake (nerodia sipedon)- I only knew where to find it because I almost killed one on my dock last year-

Link to info page w/ pics:  http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/nersip.htm

Picture:

The link I provided is a GREAT resource for identifying snakes in GA- tons of pics, info and maps.  In addition to saving the life of the watersnake, it also helped me ID the Timber Ratllesnake that made a den on the front slope of my property.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Its already been answered but that's a water snake.. pretty harmless. They do look a lot like a moccasin though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.  It looks to me like a Northern Watersnake (nerodia sipedon)- I only knew where to find it because I almost killed one on my dock last year-

Picture:
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/pics/nersip3.jpg

The link I provided is a GREAT resource for identifying snakes in GA- tons of pics, info and maps.  In addition to saving the life of the watersnake, it also helped me ID the Timber Ratllesnake that made a den on the front slope of my property.

Even though I was the first post saying it was a water snake, this was the one that came to mind. But, I'm going to do like every other douchebag that wants to up his post count and say,
THIS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

post 87...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a rattlehead copper snake........

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picture:
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/pics/nersip3.jpg

Disagree as you wish.... but you will be Wrong. This was not a SWAG
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

could be a copper mouthed water rattler
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree.  It is in the Diamond-back water viper clan.  It is also know as the cotton mouthed no rattle copper aqua viper.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I agree.  It is in the Diamond-back water viper clan.  It is also know as the cotton mouthed no rattle copper aqua viper.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks like dinner to me.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Let me be the first to say that is a Brown Widow.
Pics afterwards should be a Brown Widow requiring some assembly
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
It's an AK-47.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Disagree as you wish.... but you will be Wrong. This was not a SWAG

I just want to compare-

Banded Watersnake:

Northern Watersnake:

OP's snake:

The Northern Watersnake is a dead-ringer, especially when looking at the coloration and side-to-belly markings.

I don't think mine qualifies as a Scientific Wild Ass Guess, either....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Akwhatever

Before now, the only other Tennessean I badmouthed was that guy who said he invented the internet.  Your comment  reference Gacop is weaksauce.  Your negative comment is directed at him based purely on his known profession.  If he was a truck driver, you wouldn't have said a thing.

In regards to snakes, start with the Genesis 3.

Ive seen some monster rattlers at Ft. Stewart; paddled Zodiacs up slue's where a snake hung on every tree branch just above the water while Gators silently watched as we floated by.   Once upon time, I was leaving Harmony Church headed back to main post on 1st Division Rd.  I pulled over to watch, and let cross the road, one of the biggest Rattlesnakes I'd ever seen.  Another on-coming driver did the same.  It must have been 5ft long and as thick as my thigh.  It was a neat sight.  He crossed north across the east/west running road.  After he passed, I returned to my drive and within two seconds, I was coming up behind the on-post child daycare facility. It also is located on the north side of the road.   (near the Exchange Mall).  To this day, I wish I would have killed that one.

P.S.  they're chewy, taste like chicken. very easy to clean.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Akwhatever

Yeah, it's kinda bad form to come in another state's HTF and try to pick fights with members there.  People can disagree all they want - no need for attitude.  And LEOs are perfectly able to kill snakes like any of the rest of us are - venomous or not (the snakes, I mean).  Unless there's some law protecting snakes now that I don't know about?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Akwhatever

Yeah, it's kinda bad form to come in another state's HTF and try to pick fights with members there.  People can disagree all they want - no need for attitude.  And LEOs are perfectly able to kill snakes like any of the rest of us are - venomous or not (the snakes, I mean).  Unless there's some law protecting snakes now that I don't know about?

Well, the eastern indigo snake is federally protected, as in you go to jail for killing/harming/capturing them. Southern hognose snakes are state protected, as they are a threatened species. As for capturing, all nonvenomous snakes in GA are essentially protected, and you must have a license to keep them. The black rat snake is protected in GA, and for some reason the Corn snake is protected, even though neither of them are threatened.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow, learned something new - laws against killing snakes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Snakes are great animals to have around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top