Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 4:22:04 PM EDT
I just signed up for a Hunting club lease in Cherokee county. I don't really have a "deer rifle" so I am not sure what would work best.

Heres the main choices I have to work with:

Savage Striker in 308 (Bolt Action Handgun)
Savage 10FP in 308 , Heavy barrel and B&C Stock
Savage 10 in 300 Whisper with a heavy barrel and stock
ARs in 223, 308, 300 whisper
AKs
SKS
and a 100+ year old lever action winchester 30-30.

I am also interested in crossbows/archery season. I was never good with a compound bow, but that was before the days of peep sights etc.

How hard is it to hit something with a crossbow or modern bow? Is a crossbow "easy" compared to a bow? Are there alot more shooting opportunities before firearms season starts?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Sounds like a deer rifle to me.  My Dad took several deer with one of those.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use whatever you are most comfortable with or enjoy shooting the most.  All those are fine for shooting deer in Georgia in my experience.  I would recommend something larger than the .223 though if it is available.   I know many are successful hunting deer with .223, but I want something with a little more stopping power.

Shooting with a crossbow is very easy once you learn your distances.  I started hunting with a crossbow due to rotator cuff issues and picked it up very quickly.  It is very comparable to shooting a rifle other than the short range. Shot repeatability is very easy even for beginners..  I know many who hunt with one due to lack of time to practice with a bow and they were hitting targets dead on with their first outing with no prior bow experience.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I hunt with a 10fp regularly, its a little heavy to tote around, but it does the job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I may try the 30-30. My Grandpa bagged dozens of deer with it.

THe other gun I didn't initially think of that might be ideal is a 308 Saiga or a PSL. One of those might be perfect.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
All depends on the distance and/or the area around where you are shooting, killed my first deer with a 30-30 winchester lever, they are great brush guns, if you are hunting in a large open area, the 10FP or the 308 ar should do great, I normally carry my Savage bolt .270 and my mossburg 12ga with some 00 buck If i'm not sure what stand I'm going to be using, a little heavy to carry, but opens up my options. Even the sks should be a good gun for closer distances, I've killed a 3 with the norinko sks that I never should have sold.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
i slay deer with a Rem 7-08 but since you do not have that weapon i would go with the 30-30. Like the other guy said if you are hunting open fields try the 308.

If you are new to the bunch and you do not know all of the guys i wouldn't show up with my m4a1 acog / laser site / beta mag / grip pod / magpul AK47. You do not want the fuds to call you that guy...right off the bat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I think that the Striker would be a lot of fun to hunt with. It certainly has a good round to kill a deer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While it's a little heavy, that would be the rifle I would take.  I want a Savage 10 soooooooooooo bad.

Someone else said it first, though- in my opinion, the 7mm-08 is the best all-around deer round for Georgia.  That's my round of choice, as well.  Flat shooting, just the right amount of power and very controllable recoil.  But, since you don't have one, I'm just running my mouth.  

In the heavy brush areas in Cedar Creek WMA, I see scores of hunters using an SKS with good results.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

its a little heavy to tote around, but it does the job.

this

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Ar in 300 whisper shooting supersonic will get the job done without hauling a heavy long range setup around.  I hunt with a 6.8 SBR and love the lighter weight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
use the old Winchester or an SKS, both of those are great deer rifles
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just signed up for a Hunting club lease in Cherokee county. I don't really have a "deer rifle" so I am not sure what would work best.

Heres the main choices I have to work with:

Savage Striker in 308 (Bolt Action Handgun)
Savage 10 in 300 Whisper with a heavy barrel and stock
ARs in 223, 308, 300 whisper
AKs
SKS

I am also interested in crossbows/archery season. I was never good with a compound bow, but that was before the days of peep sights etc.

How hard is it to hit something with a crossbow or modern bow? Is a crossbow "easy" compared to a bow? Are there alot more shooting opportunities before firearms season starts?

Compound bows have come a longggg way since I first started with one 18years ago. If you have not picked one up in awhile hit up one of the archery pro shops around. Find one that will let you try one out you will see the difference
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
In general, will there be a big difference in the deer behavior/opportunities during archery season vs. firearms? I debating spending the time/money to get a bow or crossbow?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:I debating spending the time/money to get a bow or crossbow?

get both?

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?p=PRN1135&k=55444&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&os=googleshopping

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The Savage .308 would be the best.

Take me with you and I'll let you take the pick of mine!

I live in Cherokee County!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In general, will there be a big difference in the deer behavior/opportunities during archery season vs. firearms? I debating spending the time/money to get a bow or crossbow?

Yes, for the most part deer aren't really spooked during bow season.  Other than the twang of the bow string its a very silent operation its possible to miss and get another shot.  Once a 2800fps slug has been over their head, they know something is up and get real skittish.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd swap you a vintage, like new, Rem 7400 in 30-06 with scope  already zero'd in for a decent AR, 06 has 4 4 rounf mags & 2 10 round mags + some good 06 ammo for same in 223.I quit  hunting in pursuit of sht targets when that day comes, & it will come at the current rate of decline.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Are there any places that have an indoor archery range to try stuff out other than Bass Pro Shops?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#19]
killed my first deer with an sks back in 1999
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top