Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2010 1:23:29 PM EDT
I just wanted to let the few of you who expressed interest know that the highway dedication was held a week and a half ago.

Here is the hero's wife receiving a smaller replica of the highway sign.

Here is the Medal of Honor that was presented to the wife many years ago.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
very cool!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That is fantastic!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
How come this sounds a lot better than the Cynthia McKinney Memorial Highway?
May be it is just me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Was this the one we called the Gov. to get him to sign the bill?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
awesome, those brave men deserve to have their names and lives respected. that's a cool honor
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was this the one we called the Gov. to get him to sign the bill?

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]
SFC Bryant's Wikipedia Bio and Medal of Honor Citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sfc. Bryant, assigned to Company A, distinguished himself while serving as commanding officer of Civilian Irregular Defense Group Company 321, 2d Battalion, 3d Mobile Strike Force Command, during combat operations. The battalion came under heavy fire and became surrounded by the elements of 3 enemy regiments. Sfc. Bryant displayed extraordinary heroism throughout the succeeding 34 hours of incessant attack as he moved throughout the company position heedless of the intense hostile fire while establishing and improving the defensive perimeter, directing fire during critical phases of the battle, distributing ammunition, assisting the wounded, and providing the leadership and inspirational example of courage to his men. When a helicopter drop of ammunition was made to re-supply the beleaguered force, Sfc. Bryant with complete disregard for his safety ran through the heavy enemy fire to retrieve the scattered ammunition boxes and distributed needed ammunition to his men. During a lull in the intense fighting, Sfc. Bryant led a patrol outside the perimeter to obtain information of the enemy. The patrol came under intense automatic weapons fire and was pinned down. Sfc. Bryant single-handedly repulsed 1 enemy attack on his small force and by his heroic action inspired his men to fight off other assaults. Seeing a wounded enemy soldier some distance from the patrol location, Sfc. Bryant crawled forward alone under heavy fire to retrieve the soldier for intelligence purposes. Finding that the enemy soldier had expired, Sfc. Bryant crawled back to his patrol and led his men back to the company position where he again took command of the defense. As the siege continued, Sfc. Bryant organized and led a patrol in a daring attempt to break through the enemy encirclement. The patrol had advanced some 200 meters by heavy fighting when it was pinned down by the intense automatic weapons fire from heavily fortified bunkers and Sfc. Bryant was severely wounded. Despite his wounds he rallied his men, called for helicopter gunship support, and directed heavy suppressive fire upon the enemy positions. Following the last gunship attack, Sfc. Bryant fearlessly charged an enemy automatic weapons position, overrunning it, and single-handedly destroying its 3 defenders. Inspired by his heroic example, his men renewed their attack on the entrenched enemy. While regrouping his small force for the final assault against the enemy, Sfc. Bryant fell mortally wounded by an enemy rocket. Sfc. Bryant's selfless concern for his comrades, at the cost of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Sooooo Cool
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Can someone tell me where this stretch of highway is?
Is it near where he was born (Cochran, GA)?

Nevermind (Google is your friend)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA that the portion of SR 87 North in Bleckley County from the city limits of Cochran to the Bleckley-Twiggs County line be dedicated as the William Maud Bryant Memorial Highway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
May be it is just me.

I don't know, if we saw a Cynthia McKinney Memorial Highway anytime soon, I would take that as a positive thing.  

No disrespect to the fearless men this thread is actually about - and long may their memory be honored!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
May be it is just me.

I don't know, if we saw a Cynthia McKinney Memorial Highway anytime soon, I would take that as a positive thing.  

No disrespect to the fearless men this thread is actually about - and long may their memory be honored!

Sorry about that. I did not mean to get your hopes up.
I mean C. M. Highway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I took this picture today at The Wall in D.C.:

I also made one of those charcoal pencil markings on white paper to bring back for display at the County Courthouse.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#13]
The least we can do good for GA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top