Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 10:26:03 PM EDT
Is it still a law in Georgia that you have to carry your gun in a holster if concealed? Just curious if any of you guys have pocket carried a gun just by itself? I used to carry an LCP in my pocket with one of those covert carrier slip over things with the clip. I wouldn't call that a holser so I guess I was doing something I shouldn't. Wonder what would happen if they somehow discovered you were carrying w/ no holster...tell you to purchase one or take away your permit

ETA: just read those little clips are considered securing devices and are good to go. I still find it odd you can't have the gun in your pocket without a holster yet something like this makes it legal:

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes Ga Law requires a holster.

That pocket thingy appears to qualify... But I really don't like how the trigger is exposed. Seems unsafe to me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks a lot like the Galco wallet holster my brother in law had.  We were told they were reclassified as an AOW by BATF in the late 90s if accompanied by the firearm.   It would have been nice of them to let all the instant felons they created know about it ahead of time.  My BIL had no idea until he was trying to sell it at a gun show.  Funny thing is the cop at the door that ziptied the slide didn't give it a second glance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard an urban legend once that the A O W part had to do with the holster covering the barrel  end .  I think N A A  used to make these for some of their pocket guns but were encouraged to stop.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
They arrest you. I have a couple people who just paid me over $2,000 up front because they had pocket guns with no holster in that pocket. It's a living...

ETA: yes the clips and hip-grips are fine.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, wallet holster things are AOW. I really don't understand why. Ones like the one made for the Beretta are perfectly designed to counter a mugging attempt.

"GIMME UR WALLET."

"Okay.....hear you go....just take it easy man...I don't want no trouble.... *squeeze off a mag*....."

But I can also see how that can be used in a "show me your license and registration sir" situation which is probably used to justify their reasoning.

ETA: Funny story, while I was explaining to my father that with a Kel-Tec he could also get a clip attachment for carry, Derek of 400 J&L felt compelled to yank his out and show just how effective it was for pocket carry.

I like to tell people "The hippiekicker drew down on my dad" for fun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
it's because it becomes "part" of the gun and anything that is a gun but doesn't look like a gun is AOW. (short version, long version available at $300 per hour)

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, wallet holster things are AOW. I really don't understand why. Ones like the one made for the Beretta are perfectly designed to counter a mugging attempt.

"GIMME UR WALLET."

"Okay.....hear you go....just take it easy man...I don't want no trouble.... *squeeze off a mag*....."

But I can also see how that can be used in a "show me your license and registration sir" situation which is probably used to justify their reasoning.

ETA: Funny story, while I was explaining to my father that with a Kel-Tec he could also get a clip attachment for carry, Derek of 400 J&L felt compelled to yank his out and show just how effective it was for pocket carry.

You got it all wrong, Derek carries a RUGER LCP

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"GIMME UR WALLET."

You got it all wrong, Derek carries a RUGER LCP

Sorry, I was referring to the pocket clip.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It's ok, I just want to make sure everyone knows Derek carries a Ruger.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That would be over his cold, bullet riddled, blown up, run over, defacated on, burned body.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be over his cold, bullet riddled, blown up, run over, defacated on, burned body.

It's been over an hour... Is he off today?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Umm....something doesn't seem right about that.

But I honestly wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I heard that derek was shooting the tac match sat with the new Ruger piston gun just to see how it runs.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
About that wallet holster thing.

This holster "does not conceal the appearance of the pistol. There is a hole permitting operation of the trigger." It "merely encloses the grip and trigger guard of the pistol and extends in front of the grip and below the slide. The entire slide of the pistol is exposed." It is "not subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 or 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53." It "would not meet the definition of an 'any other weapon' in section 5845(e) of title 26 U.S.C.."

http://rdpersonalprotection.com/kel-tec_accessories
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#15]
When I saw them for sale , the old Pager Pal people were selling them,  I I R C  'bout $60
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OK! Everybody get into line, so I can whoop all yo' asses!

You are all dead to me.

Wear plates to the rifle match. You'll need them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They arrest you. I have a couple people who just paid me over $2,000 up front because they had pocket guns with no holster in that pocket. It's a living...

ETA: yes the clips and hip-grips are fine.

Ouch!! So what happened to them, were they allowed to keep their permit after going through all that? Its crazy that a little crappy pocket clip means the difference between being legal and getting arrested. May be wrong but I read somewhere that you can carry mexican as long its not concealed. That makes no sense to me, I thought their whole reason for the holster requirement was so that it was secured. GA laws confuse me sometimes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top