Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 7:50:33 PM EDT
See a lot of really nice homes for rent there.... Is everyone leaving for a reason?  

Or is it just the foreclosures have caught up with the creative loan reciepiants?  

Looking at relocating to the area and was checking rentals on the west side...  

If anyone has a cheap rental and needs a good tenant with references (in a decent neighborhood) shoot me a IM....

TIA!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in douglasville for a few years and hated it. There are some that love it but I had my blazer broken into many times with a lot of stuff gone. If you have too move out this way (I do not know your current location) but come a bit tad more west or north. Villa Rica, Dallas, Hiram etc. I believe the foreclosures just finally caught up. My wife's grandparents live off 78 and fairburn rd and there are houses for sale or rent everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The flood didnt help either.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Douglasville isn't as much a bedroom town as Hiram or Villa Rica, but IMO its real estate market suffers similarly.  What's really killed the far-out suburbs is the still fresh memory of lines at the gas station for $4.50/gal gasoline.  There's not many places to work for a good wage, so people drive to Atlanta, Marietta etc.  Peoples' gas bills went from someting like 1/10th of the cost of their mortgage to 1/3rd or way more when they were living on the edge of their means to start with.  (My wife's and my gas bill was more than our mortgage, but we both have gas guzzlers.) People made a decision––a predictable decision in hindsight––that they could buy gas with their money so they could work or they could pay their mortgage––they bought gas and let the mortage go because they had to.    

If you have a good income and you want to live in the burbs, you might never have a better opportunity to get much house for little money.  But while you might thrive, the rest of the neighborhood might go to pot around you.

The far out burbs used to be very attractive to young people because they could get more house for their mortgage dollar, but that was before the dollar collapsed and gas was $1.XX/gal.  Young people with beginning income levels literally can't afford to drive to work from way out anymore.  

Some people call Douglasville "D-hood".  Traffic is worse than horrible.  You are very strongly encouraged to drive to and from D-hood during rush hours.  It's crazy.  Hiram's rush hour traffic might be a little bit better, but I doubt it.  I get to work very early to avoid it.  It's rush hour for hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  Holiday traffic is a parking lot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Generally, their Solicitors and DA's are extremely difficult to work with. I would not want to get a ticket or have an altercation there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I was born and raised in Douglas County and still live here. I built many of houses here as well. The foreclosure market is strong and the flood did severe damage to the infrastructure and roads. Gonna take the better part of next year getting stuff back in shape. There are plenty of rentals as well. There are better areas than others too. In short....its really not a bad place to live. The commute in and out of Atlanta can suck if you need to work in that area.
Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I was born and raised in Douglas County and still live here. I built many of houses here as well. The foreclosure market is strong and the flood did severe damage to the infrastructure and roads. Gonna take the better part of next year getting stuff back in shape. There are plenty of rentals as well. There are better areas than others too. In short....its really not a bad place to live. The commute in and out of Atlanta can suck if you need to work in that area.

Also if 00Bullitt catches you open carrying there, He'll gang tackle you steal your magazine out of your gun throw it down an escalator and mock you mercilessly before giving you a wedgie.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Douglasville is nothing but a ghetto now.  I wouldn't advise living there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also if 00Bullitt catches you open carrying there, He'll gang tackle you steal your magazine out of your gun throw it down an escalator and mock you mercilessly before giving you a wedgie.

Ummmm...yeah.....something along those lines has happened before. But he had it coming.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I HAVE to introduce you to Malum after I get a HD Camcorder...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

NO.....you don't

I prefer not associate with people who prefer to draw that much attention to themselves through the means of "open carry"

I don't agree with it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Douglasville ain't that bad. The city of Douglasville is just like any other city. Move out in the county and it is pretty nice. I have lived here since 1970 and she ain't what she used to be, but its still ok.
The housing market here was a boom for quite a few years and the people who bought here had bigger wants than checking accounts.
And in response to DKing, yes the good ole boy network is still tight here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to UWG and pretty much everyone from Douglasville went to UWG. That being said, my experience is the ppl I have met that live in Douglasville are pretty much born, raised, married, and their kids born raised and going to the same high school, married, and then their kids born, raised...... get my point.... so pretty much everyone knows everyone. Ive known ppl who want to get out of dville but cant. they try and try but its like a sinking hole. and that would be my $0.02
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmm...yeah.....something along those lines has happened before. But he had it coming.

Please .....go on
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Its way too much to type. But I can assure you it was quite funny. It happened like 5 years ago at Arbor Place Mall while going up the escalator. Lets just say I made my point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its way too much to type. But I can assure you it was quite funny. It happened like 5 years ago at Arbor Place Mall while going up the escalator. Lets just say I made my point.

Oh c'mon...you gotta tell the story.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
In short. I removed a G22 from a guys floppy Uncle Mikes clip on nylon strap retention holster clipped on to a floppy belt. He was walking around the mall with what looked to be a police issue Mororola walkie talkie radio and had a grey T-shirt that said Sheriff across the back. He was quite overweight and was trying real hard to look like the popo and act as if he had a reason to be patrolling the mall. Even talked on the radio a few times.I happened to see him multiple times as I was there and just about the time I was going to leave,I happened to follow him onto the escalator at the back of the mall. On the trip up I decided to disarm him to prove a point. Then the scene ensued. It got rather comical pretty quickly. He was like a little kid going "give it or I'll call the police". I chastized him as he kept uttering the same words over and over and then two Douglas County deputies arrived to respond to the call. It got even funnier from there. Lets just say...the radio did not work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks all!  

Ok, I will post a separate thread with some more questions about west suburbs of atl.  

I have been looking and kind have figured that I will be looking on the west half, probably on the south west half.   Carroll county is looking good to me, just had to ask about douglasville since all the cheap housing there...

Funny story 00bullit.

Guy was obviously an idiot...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My long-term real estate prediction...........All of the in-between counties, ie. those outside of the core Metro area (Cobb, Fulton, Gwinnett, & Dekalb) but not far enough out to be in the rural counties, will become the next slums. The people who can afford to do so, will more closer to the city to save on energy costs (gasoline) and increase their quality of life. The people currently living in the cities will be forced out, due to high home prices, and will move to the in-between counties (Paulding, Douglas, Bartow, Cherokee, Rockdale, Fayette, Clauton, & Henry) where the McMansions will be cheap.

Accountant
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In short. I removed a G22 from a guys floppy Uncle Mikes clip on nylon strap retention holster clipped on to a floppy belt. He was walking around the mall with what looked to be a police issue Mororola walkie talkie radio and had a grey T-shirt that said Sheriff across the back. He was quite overweight and was trying real hard to look like the popo and act as if he had a reason to be patrolling the mall. Even talked on the radio a few times.I happened to see him multiple times as I was there and just about the time I was going to leave,I happened to follow him onto the escalator at the back of the mall. On the trip up I decided to disarm him to prove a point. Then the scene ensued. It got rather comical pretty quickly. He was like a little kid going "give it or I'll call the police". I chastized him as he kept uttering the same words over and over and then two Douglas County deputies arrived to respond to the call. It got even funnier from there. Lets just say...the radio did not work.

So you committed battery.  Did he press charges?

So he was posing as a Sheriff's deputy.  Was he impersonating a police officer?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So you committed battery.  Did he press charges?

Quoted:

And in response to DKing, yes the good ole boy network is still tight here.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.....you don't

I prefer not associate with people who prefer to draw that much attention to themselves through the means of "open carry"

I don't agree with it.

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO.....you don't

I don't agree with it.

Sorry to hear that.

Dang, I was gonna sell tickets.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Better luck next time
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

DId u field strip it and hand it back to him while his bottom lip quivered? lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#25]
It depends on what you are looking for. DV has some good schools and mediocre schools - just like elsewhere. Not much night life, ok mall, houses for $150,000 up to $1,000,000. Houses in older areas and houses in newer areas. We have 1.5 acres in an older area, low crime, lots of diversity with our neighbors, lots of "things" coming through at night and a quiet life. Except last year when that red tail hawk decided to buzz us while  we work working in the driveway - now that was cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top