Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 2:28:30 AM EDT
Last night my apartment was burglarized while my roommate and I were out. Both of our computers were stolen, along with a TV, Playstation 3, some other assorted items and, oh, I almost forgot, my AR15. That one hurts me the most by far, no contest at all. The apartment I live in is in Atlanta, near GA Tech.

I gave the police the serial # for the rifle, but I'm afraid that, realistically speaking, the chances of getting it back are, well, it just makes me sick thinking about it. That was my one and only, and now some savage has it in their grubby paws.

I had seen some people put up numbers on stolen firearms here before, and figured it couldn't hurt anything.

I don't have any pictures I can post, and while I will try to check back here often, it will be difficult since I have no computer of my own now.

It is an Olympic Arms 20" flattop, MOD MFR, S/N JF 4302
- Standard A2 stock
- Detachable carry handle with Tapco carry handle mounted rail
- Redhead Ascent red dot scope (1x40mm)
- FIRSH quad rail (free floating)
- Kinght's Armament Co. Forward grip
- There is a cleaning kit in the buttstock

I really am not sure what all else there is for me to do except pray that I get lucky and it turns up somewhere; one can hope, right?

If anyone has any suggestions of more steps I can take to improve my chances even the slightest little bit, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Aside from the terrible feeling of having someone break in while I wasnt there (at least I have my health), and the electronics gone, its reallly the AR that hits me the hardest. If anyone happens to be going by a pawn shop for whatever reason, or wherever it is someone might try to unload it, assuming they dont keep it for themselves, if they could take a look at what's there, that would be much appreciated.

As I said, I don't know what else to do, I feel sick. Thank you all for taking the time to read. Feel free to reply or PM with ideas.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about the loss.   Just a word though - gun safes can be had for as little as $300.00 - decent ones too, not just the sheet metal lockers.  Put your weapons in something like that or HIDE them well.  

Also DOG works as the best burgaler deterrent...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Also DOG works as the best as burglar deterrent...

Ha.  Not in Atlanta.  The crews in SE ATL break in houses every day with dogs.  They kick the dogs, throw kitchen stools at them (yes there is a video of this), and push them outside while they ransack the house.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also DOG works as the best as burglar deterrent...

Ha.  Not in Atlanta.  The crews in SE ATL break in houses every day with dogs.  They kick the dogs, throw kitchen stools at them (yes there is a video of this), and push them outside while they ransack the house.

Perhaps so.   In the entire time I worked LE in New Orleans I never once went to a burglary scene where a dog was present.  Home invasions are by violent offenders.  Most burglarers are non confrontational people.  They don't want to draw a lot of attention to themselves.  

Whoever did this to the OP probably knew them and knew what they had, as they took items hard to conceal on the body, and would have had to load a car or something with a bag.  This is not characteristicly the classic "crackhead" burglarer looking for some quick score....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Greenville, SC has a gun show this weekend.  It's a quick drive up 85 from Tech.  

Remember to keep an eye on local pawn shops.  If you find your items don't let the pawn shop know.  Just step outside and call the police.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#6]
A gun safe is always a good investment. For the future, look into renters insurance (if you don't already have some).  There is a limitation on guns, but you can schedule individual items for a specifed amount with a $0 deductible (most insurance companies).  It won't get yours back, but it will at least let you replace it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will be posting in neighboring state HTFs.

As far as it being someone we know, I can actually say that this is not an option. We moved in this August and I do not know ANYBODY there, beyond just knowing who the people are who live next to us. NOBODY has been in the apartment except for a good friend of mine from Savannah, and I'd sooner suspect Obama of endorsing George W than him, aside from the fact that he isnt even in ATL, and my roommates girlfriend... and its not her either.

So, other than those people, NOBODY has been in there yet, so NOBODY could see where things are. We do not leave our door open (ever) and our shades are drawn (always). Some people on the other end of the building from us were broken into in the same fashion a week or two ago.

My best guess is, they were somewhere where they could see us leave, we both got in my truck, and after we left the gate, that's when it happened. We were gone for roughly one hour. I suppose it is possible someone saw us carrying the cases in for our guns when we moved in and were waiting for the right time, but there's no way to know I guess. Came back to find the door ajar and some of our lights on that were not on, I was carrying at the time, but the scum had already made off with the stuff. Did find a scope cap for the red dot sight off my AR in the stairwell leading down to the back portion of the parking lot, which makes it even more frustrating that I know which way they went with it, and its gone.

Again, thanks for the support guys, I will likely do some rounds of pawn shops in the next day or two to see if I can find anything at all.

My roommates laptop, as it turns out, has LoJack on it, and he filed that claim right away, but havent heard anything back about that, either. Its been over 15 hours now, and I'm sure that with every minute that passes, it all gets more separated, changes more hands, and basically dissapears even more.

Its a terrible feeling nobody should have to experience to have their home, whether they actually own it or just rent it, violated in such a manner, but we both have our health, so in the end, we only lost some meaningless material possessions... and an AR.

I hope the @#&$*@!#% fumbles it and causes it to discharge while performing a visual inspection of the rifling from the birdcage. That is all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry to hear about the theft.  I hope you get your rifle back, and also that the person responsible goes to prison.

Keep us updated if you hear anything.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll make a note of the model and s/n and pass the info around at the RK show next weekend.

Info about pawn shops is good. I found my motorcycle that was stolen at a pawn shop. I did just as JS2071 said, verify the s/n then step outside and call PD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Just want to throw this out there about dogs. First of all they are the best and I love them.

Now ... I lived in downtown ATL for almost 10 years..From 92-2002 In Bankhead, Fourth Ward, Little Five (when it was bad very bad) and Kirkwood. The only times in those ten years that my place was broken into was when I didnt have a dog. I first got a dog in downtown ATL my nieghbors got broken into all the time and never our place.

Just throwing that out there.

And they are always happy when you get home. Oh... and no lip or back talk.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I know someone who had recently taken in a 1 yr old German Sheppard, where the natives from South Atlanta did exactly what was described above.  They kicked the dog and used a chair to hit him.  

Dogs to me are an alert system and just one more layer to add, but don't rely on them unless you have several and have specifically trained them as guard dogs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry man, that really sucks. Just curious, how did they make entry?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I Had a S&W 1911 SC stolen awhile back. It gives you a really sick feeling when something you loved is stolen.

I would love to find out who did it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry man, that really sucks. Just curious, how did they make entry?

They busted the door in. Simple as that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top