Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 6:17:30 PM EDT
I posted about $1500 worth of mags on the GON.com forums today. I come back to check all my expected IMs and receive a message blocking me from logging on saying:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
"Woody's Campfire Talk of Georgia Outdoor News Forums, hereinafter The Forum, is a private Forum. Membership in the Forum is a privilege granted solely and exclusively by the Forum. Privileges may be terminated at any time at the sole discretion

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

I never even fought, disputed, argued, called a name, used profanity, or did or advocated any of the above or anything illegal. Had No beef with anyone and had a +24 feedback, even did good deals with other mods for the site. No warnings about anything....just BLAM....banned with about 30 people wanting to buy stuff sitting in my in box probably.

This happen to anyone else, moderator error or system error....what?????
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a member, although not very active on Woody's since the 80's and I've never had an issue.

TD
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not loaded that site site in a month. It went nuts and i went.... away
that sucks though
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
i think they think you are a dealer, which is understandable.  who orders $1500 worth of mags solely to resell? (i mean, other than guys that are actually trying to make a living at it)  
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I emailed the forum to ask why the ban, the only reason it gave was what it said....which really isn't a reason other than "we want to ban you because we are allowed to".

I never got into discussions on the forums there, asked technical questions and sold mags I got, no negative feedback or problems....everybody apparently loved dealing with me,  NO bad deals or iffy stuff either.....kinda freaked me out when I saw it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i think they think you are a dealer, which is understandable.  who orders $1500 worth of mags solely to resell? (i mean, other than guys that are actually trying to make a living at it)  

I'm not a dealer, I trade gun stuff for gun stuff and sell what I don't want. I get back what I already payed for the personal stuff I keep. I didn't know that was illegal (for forum). I guess they need to ban anyone who is trying to sell a gun over $50 it's blue book value. They would be making a profit and therefore be making money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a new name and just go back on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
fwiw they do have the equivalent of an "industry partners" over there.  i also recall a post a couple of weeks ago in the firearms forum suggesting that those who are "non-contributing" members were going to be weeded out.  it seems as though a lot of people have taken advantage of the swap and sell, and it has become their own personal fee free gunbroker site.  i believe they defined non-contributing as those members whose entire posting history is located in the swap and sell.

i actually agree with this.  since you're only allowed to post once every 5 days over there, it sucks when about 4 guys constantly rotate the same adds, and you post ends up on page 6 after 2 days.  several come to mind right off...dixieman, harley45, snake hunter, littlemanXXX.  there are more, but those guys seem to be the worst offenders.

-matt
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Arfcom may spank you for the same thing.  They did me a while back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
when you title your ads:

"New Shipment of Mags..GSG-5, Mini-30, AK47, FAL,AR10, AR15, 9mm AR, HK UMP, XD & MORE "

and its basically the same thing you've been listing for the last couple of months, you have to admit you appear to be a dealer.  whether you are or not, is another story, but the ad is written out just like a shop's inventory sheet.

-matt

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey try out   Georgiaguntrader.com
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
when you title your ads:

"New Shipment of Mags..GSG-5, Mini-30, AK47, FAL,AR10, AR15, 9mm AR, HK UMP, XD & MORE "

and its basically the same thing you've been listing for the last couple of months, you have to admit you appear to be a dealer.  whether you are or not, is another story, but the ad is written out just like a shop's inventory sheet.

-matt

When I read the ad on GON I automatically thought you were a dealer.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a new name and just go back on.

I want to do it the right way, selling surplus stuff that you already picked through at below cost on a forum means your a dealer????  Looked through the EE rules when I started....went back in and found no such ANTI DEALER rule. They didn't even ask or say stop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
when you title your ads:

-matt

Hmmmm....probably should have worded that this way. "Bought a shipment of mags, got out all the glock mags, mini 14 mags and other mags I wanted. The stuff I don't need is here".

Would that have not got me banned?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
who knows?  i will freely admit they're a little flaky over there, but i can also understand their thoughts about dealers and how they could have construed you as such.

oh, and being a smartass isn't going to win you any points with them.  ask adam.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
you need to do what i do, never post except to razz nicodeamus and pm to steal all the guns...
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
when you title your ads:

-matt

Hmmmm....probably should have worded that this way. "Bought a shipment of mags, got out all the glock mags, mini 14 mags and other mags I wanted. The stuff I don't need is here".

Would that have not got me banned?

You're kind of preaching to the choir....don't you think? Its their house and their rules. Ridiculous rules yes.....but none the less.....their rules.

The reason I stay away from there except to occasionally steal a good deal.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
who knows?  i will freely admit they're a little flaky over there, but i can also understand their thoughts about dealers and how they could have construed you as such.

oh, and being a smartass isn't going to win you any points with them.  ask adam.

Never even raised my voice....my questions were filled with please, sir, and thank yous.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
They found out you are friends with Outsy.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never even raised my voice....my questions were filled with please, sir, and thank yous.

Well there's your answer. None of them talk like that!

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They found out you are friends with Outsy.

I for one know of several banned members that should be allowed to return. For no other reason than to make things interesting again. As for your post (kncook) in the S&S, I just went and read it and it definitely made you sound like a dealer. I know there are several dealers who sneak around and use the sight but haven't been caught yet. I don't personally know whether you are a dealer or not but it seems a warning or at least a chance to explain yourself would be in order.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there's your answer. None of them talk like that!

What sucked was I was trying to sell all that stuff for cheaper than you could have gotten anywhere...just to get rid of it....some stuff was half what other people were asking. Wasn't in it to jack prices and make a buck....if you looked up the MSRP on that stuff I would theoretically be loosing money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#22]
The solution to this problem is simple.  First, send me the parts list of all your magazines with your special super low "I cannot sell these anywhere" pricing so I can buy what I want.  Second, post the leftovers on the EE.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#23]
GON banned you for a reason. It may not have been a good reason, but it was a reason.

Selling $1500 in mags makes you a dealer. I mean I don't know what you make a week but $1500 is a month's salary for some members here. It doesn't matter how you see yourself, it matters how others see you. 90% of users on any of the gun based forums that we visit who see someone with that many mags can make a reasonable conclusion that you are a dealer. GON and Afrcom have rules about not letting non-paying dealers use their hardware for you to make money. How can you possibly complain about how XYZ forum knocked you off and now you can't sell your mags? Did you pay their server fees last month? Are they getting a cut? Try getting the local paper to let you list a classified for free. Won't happen.

Bottom line everyone thinks these forums are free and they are not. They are not here so that you can make money, they are here to help spread information. If you need to sell off a piece of gear here or there that is generally accepted but to use the forum simply to sell stuff and not contribute is frowned upon.

I learned my lesson the hard way and have stayed in my lane since then.

As far as you "losing" money by selling them BELOW MSRP. First off, MSRP is for suckers, and not valid on anything gun related. Second, the only way you could have lost money is by buying them at MSRP and selling them for less than you have in them. I buy and sell shit for a living and MSRP never even figures into my calculation. Cost and Retail do.

Not really bitching at you, just trying to give you a press check on how this can be seen from a different angle. Should they have warned you first? Maybe. Did they HAVE to? No. I mean come on, It's effin GON for chrissakes. Their bat, their ball their rules.

Good luck on selling your mags. Hell if you think they are worth $1500 buy a table for $50 at the next gun show and blow them out there.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
GON banned you for a reason. It may not have been a good reason, but it was a reason.

Selling $1500 in mags makes you a dealer. I mean I don't know what you make a week but $1500 is a month's salary for some members here. It doesn't matter how you see yourself, it matters how others see you. 90% of users on any of the gun based forums that we visit who see someone with that many mags can make a reasonable conclusion that you are a dealer. GON and Afrcom have rules about not letting non-paying dealers use their hardware for you to make money. How can you possibly complain about how XYZ forum knocked you off and now you can't sell your mags? Did you pay their server fees last month? Are they getting a cut? Try getting the local paper to let you list a classified for free. Won't happen.

Bottom line everyone thinks these forums are free and they are not. They are not here so that you can make money, they are here to help spread information. If you need to sell off a piece of gear here or there that is generally accepted but to use the forum simply to sell stuff and not contribute is frowned upon.

I learned my lesson the hard way and have stayed in my lane since then.

As far as you "losing" money by selling them BELOW MSRP. First off, MSRP is for suckers, and not valid on anything gun related. Second, the only way you could have lost money is by buying them at MSRP and selling them for less than you have in them. I buy and sell shit for a living and MSRP never even figures into my calculation. Cost and Retail do.

Not really bitching at you, just trying to give you a press check on how this can be seen from a different angle. Should they have warned you first? Maybe. Did they HAVE to? No. I mean come on, It's effin GON for chrissakes. Their bat, their ball their rules.

Good luck on selling your mags. Hell if you think they are worth $1500 buy a table for $50 at the next gun show and blow them out there.

excellent post!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bottom line everyone thinks these forums are free and they are not. They are not here so that you can make money, they are here to help spread information.

The forums are here so that the forum owners can make money.  GON and ARFCOM are businesses (that is why I think it is laughable when people on here give others crap for not paying a membership fee to a for profit business as if ARFCOM was an altruistic entity or a club).  I have absolutely nothing against that and I think it is great.  What any website wants is traffic and traffic is driven by content.  More website content means more traffic means more advertisers and more members means more money for the business owners.  Someone selling stuff on the website is content which brings traffic which brings advertisers which makes the business owners money.  In effect GON just deleted content from their website by kicking a seller off.  By deleting content they are only hurting themselves and their bottom line.  If I ran a for profit website with a for sale section I would love to have someone post $1500 in magazines for sale.  My only concern would be that the for sale content be managable so that the customer has a positive experience on the website.  Of cources, they are free to do whatever they want.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bottom line everyone thinks these forums are free and they are not. They are not here so that you can make money, they are here to help spread information.

The forums are here so that the forum owners can make money.  GON and ARFCOM are businesses (that is why I think it is laughable when people on here give others crap for not paying a membership fee to a for profit business as if ARFCOM was an altruistic entity or a club).  I have absolutely nothing against that and I think it is great.  What any website wants is traffic and traffic is driven by content.  More website content means more traffic means more advertisers and more members means more money for the business owners.  Someone selling stuff on the website is content which brings traffic which brings advertisers which makes the business owners money.  In effect GON just deleted content from their website by kicking a seller off.  By deleting content they are only hurting themselves and their bottom line.  If I ran a for profit website with a for sale section I would love to have someone post $1500 in magazines for sale.  My only concern would be that the for sale content be managable so that the customer has a positive experience on the website.  Of cources, they are free to do whatever they want.  

What do you know, you are not a team member! We're part of a TEAM here which is why we get no say in how anything is done and pay for our avatars!!!

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I understand as to why they would not want a business/dealer posting 40 adds a day in the ee forums etc, I didn't even realize I was turning into a "dealer", nor did they say "hey....stop or else". I had always bought/traded/sold on the forum there and liked all the people who I dealt with, as they also liked dealing with me. Always waited the right amount of days before re posting...etc.I'm just going to drop it and sell them to other people, never even acted angry or mad at them for doing it, just asked questions and said yes sir, please, and thanks. I found the new rules posted 14 days ago and did not see them the last two weeks...just browsed straight by it, it was my mistake of not checking the rules regularly. I had originally read the rules when I joined a few months ago and thought I was good to go....as non of it was applicable at the time.

I did ask the mods (or MOD) if they were not going to reinstate me to delete my posts and my user name, etc....I'm still getting emails saying "sent you an IM" and such as members can still inquire about the adds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you know, you are not a team member! We're part of a TEAM here which is why we get no say in how anything is done and pay for our avatars!!!

Do I or do I ?????????

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey––got any M1A mags???  I was thinking about buying one of those....
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL!

Just read some of the threads about the new EE.  I personally like it, but LOTS of longtime members think it is a spawn of Satan.  The standard response is (paraphrasing)... "who cares?  It's coming whether you like it or not."  Pay for your avatar and admission to the BOTD forum, and keep it down.  

As mentioned previously in this thread, team memberships don't pay for this site.  I was wanting a membership renewal as one of my anniversary presents, but I have honestly gotten used to not having one, and I think I'd rather have a couple of boxes of ammo for that money now.  I never won anything in the team raffles, nor did I ever win a LaRue giveaway, so I'm taking my ball and going home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#31]
there are a LOT of team members though and they bring in more money then I make in a year for the site. Granted the advertisers are 20x as much but still...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top