Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:43:08 AM EDT
What's this? And what's the story?

Details man!

Record your serial numbers!The President of GCO recently had two guns stolen.  The Atlanta Police Department recovered both of them within a few days.  Had he not been able to present the police with the serial numbers of the guns, then the police would not have been able to connect these guns to him.  Please take time this weekend to record the serial numbers of every firearm you own.Did you know that the vast majority of stolen firearms are never entered into the NCIC database?  That means it is unlikely their owners will ever see the guns again, and it may make it easy for thieves to get away with stealing and selling firearms.  Please do not make crime easy on thieves.  Record your serial numbers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i got the GCO email too....

i was very happy, and surprised!

good idea recording serial numbers...my uncle has a notebook of every gun he owns, how much he paid for them, stuff like that, including SN's.....

im gonna do that
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's this? And what's the story?

Details man!

Record your serial numbers!The President of GCO recently had two guns stolen.  The Atlanta Police Department recovered both of them within a few days.  Had he not been able to present the police with the serial numbers of the guns, then the police would not have been able to connect these guns to him.  Please take time this weekend to record the serial numbers of every firearm you own.Did you know that the vast majority of stolen firearms are never entered into the NCIC database?  That means it is unlikely their owners will ever see the guns again, and it may make it easy for thieves to get away with stealing and selling firearms.  Please do not make crime easy on thieves.  Record your serial numbers.

Did you forget what happened?

Original Thread

And Here

eta:  Oh, maybe you just didn't see the update in the orginal thread?
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
didn't see the update.

well that's cool even if I am a few months late.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
what if the police steal them?
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
then you are fuked
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what if the police steal them?

then you have significant legal remedies.  any other questions?

BTW, i pulled and read the report generated for Mal's incident.

FWIW, recently i released a stolen firearm from Evidence that i had recovered.  
it is being returned to the nice guy out of state that i have had several pleasant conversations with on the phone to get it back to him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently (a year ago or so) had a gun stollen out of my car  by some fucking meth-head piece of shit.  it was recovered in a matter of days by my local police department.  A few members of that department are members here and helped me out in a big way.

I used to have about as much trust for law enforecement as I do for the current administration.  After having grown up, I realize that the boys in blue are hardworking, dedicated men and women and most , by far, are of overwhelmingly great moral character.  As with any group, there are a few bad apples.  That being said, after getting to know a few hundred local level police men and women, I have yet to find a bad one.

Good work on recovering malum's pieces guns!
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I recently (a year ago or so) had a gun stollen out of my car  by some fucking meth-head piece of shit.  it was recovered in a matter of days by my local police department.  A few members of that department are members here and helped me out in a big way.

I used to have about as much trust for law enforecement as I do for the current administration.  After having grown up, I realize that the boys in blue are hardworking, dedicated men and women and most , by far, are of overwhelmingly great moral character.  As with any group, there are a few bad apples.  That being said, after getting to know a few hundred local level police men and women, I have yet to find a bad one.

Good work on recovering malum's pieces guns!

Well said, me too!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I hadn't heard that MP got his guns back. What GCO update? I didn't get it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I take digital photos of any distinctive marks and the serial numbers of all of my firearms, just in case.  Upload them on a thumb drive and put 'em in a fire safe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A few days after the theft, the police were serving a warrant on a "chop shop" and caught a guy holding one in each hand!  He was a felon in possession.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A few days after the theft, the police were serving a warrant on a "chop shop" and caught a guy holding one in each hand!  He was a felon in possession.

Talk about a lucky break. Glad to hear you got them back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am surprised you got them back so fast. I've heard stories of guns sitting in evidence rooms for years before they are returned.

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am surprised you got them back so fast. I've heard stories of guns sitting in evidence rooms for years before they are returned.

I do not yet have them back . . .  the APD has them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you serious! What are they holding them for? When are you supposed to get them back?

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you serious! What are they holding them for? When are you supposed to get them back?

dude...

ATL pd has had my M&P compact that was stolen over a year ago. It was recovered 2 months after it was stolen. I STILL haven't gotten it back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

dude...

ATL pd has had my M&P compact that was stolen over a year ago. It was recovered 2 months after it was stolen. I STILL haven't gotten it back.

Groan.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dude...

Groan.  

well thats why I carry easily replaceable guns. I bought an identical M&P 9c next pay day and it wasn't a big deal.

Thats why I call anybody that carries high dollar or rare guns complete and utter IDIOTS. Only a complete moron would carry a hard to find gun or leave it available for theft.

I'm sure your guns are easily replaceable right ed?
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Glocks are great
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glocks are great

$75 gun from an ex grenade maker... You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]
reliability!
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
reliability!

Yup! Just like the 7$ whore on the corner and just as sloppy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Probably can't get them back until after the trial for the guy who was caught holding them, they're evidence in the case.  And APD has LONG had a reputation for not returning firearms, my understanding is that they were so bad about not even checking or updating the NCIC on recovered firearms that they were almost blocked from the system, and now are operating under some sort of agreement where they are required to check the status of every firearm they have listed as stolen every year.  I had a pistol stolen back in '93 and was getting phone calls a decade later asking if it was still missing/stolen, I finally pointed them to my insurance company as the entity that currently owns the stolen pistol (since they paid to replace it), so the insurance company presumably gets those calls now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I am on hold with the DA's office now.  They will probably tell me that it is not even assigned yet . . .

UPDATE - I have been on hold 14 minutes now, which leaves me thankful I have a speakerphone.

Update to the UPDATE:  After a half hour, they picked up the line and asked if they could take my number and call me back.  As of 3:00 p.m. or so (almost 4 hours later), I am still waiting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice lady called me back and gave me the name of the person assigned to the case.  Left message.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Did you tell them, "This is the president calling..." in order to get a quicker response?
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#27]
It could be a looonnnnggg time until the case is completely adjudicated. I have gone to trial on felony cases several years after the arrest. Especially murders (not the case here I hope).
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#28]
It is my hope that they would not need to retain my guns until the case is finally adjudicated.  I mean, if somebody steals a car, the victim cannot get it back for three years while the case works its way through the system?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes when they steal a car, it gets found in DeKalb and the DeKalb cops return it to the victim before the investigators ever even look at it... and then the victim comes up with evidence and no one knows where it came from...  BTW, I love my job.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I left the prosecutor another friendly message this morning.  I am still on his "ignore" list.  He gets a call every weekday morning until he speaks to me or I get fed up and pay him a visit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm gonna lay 20/1 odds on a call back and 1/1 on a "have to go visit".
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow.  Are they that bad down there?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#33]
there was a case in another county where just to get a recommendation out of the prosecutor it took a solid month of going out there repeatedly and sitting in front of the office. I was attorney of record. I had the ability to file speedies and make their lives miserable. As a victim who wants his guns back, i just don't see them going out of their way to return that property in a timely manner.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
there was a case in another county where just to get a recommendation out of the prosecutor it took a solid month of going out there repeatedly and sitting in front of the office.

Paulding?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#35]
said county still never returns my calls now, and I'm neither confirming nor denying it was Paulding.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Mal - DeKalb PD recovered one of my stolen guns back in June of 2008.  It was found in the hotel room of a felon who was caught dealing drugs.  He also had several other stolen guns.  I called last month and the gun was still not sent to GBI.  Apparently, it should be sent in the next month or two.  GBI also has a long wait once it gets there.  I wouldn't bank on getting yours back anytime in 2009 and probably not in the first half of 2010.  Although, you have more pull than I do so you may get lucky.  My insurance company owns mine so I am not too worried about when they will get it back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mal - DeKalb PD recovered one of my stolen guns back in June of 2008.  It was found in the hotel room of a felon who was caught dealing drugs.  He also had several other stolen guns.  I called last month and the gun was still not sent to GBI.  Apparently, it should be sent in the next month or two.  GBI also has a long wait once it gets there.  I wouldn't bank on getting yours back anytime in 2009 and probably not in the first half of 2010.  Although, you have more pull than I do so you may get lucky.  My insurance company owns mine so I am not too worried about when they will get it back.

Well I think he read your post. From Marietta I heard a vague scream of rage coming from downtown...
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, he is still getting a call early every morning, and he is still ignoring me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#39]
If any of you guys have property in evidence or need returned phone calls in Pickens County, just PM me.  We'll have it worked out in no time!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If any of you guys have property in evidence or need returned phone calls in Pickens County, just PM me.  We'll have it worked out in no time!

If only my guns had been recovered there!  
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only my guns had been recovered there!  

Of course, we'd need to take them out to the range to make sure they were "safe" and in good working order before we could let them go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am starting to think Mr. Wolf is not going to return my calls.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#43]
The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

A personal visit also does wonders.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Is it too late for me to take those odds?  
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

yea, it gets you an intimate knowledge of the waiting room, the receptionist and finally a phone number you can call in the mornings.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you got a call back?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea, it gets you an intimate knowledge of the waiting room, the receptionist and finally a phone number you can call in the mornings.

it works out occasionally.  I got a date with a receptionist once that way
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you got a call back?

More than one, plus a promise of active assistance with the PD in getting the guns back.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you got a call back?

If I do not pick it up tomorrow, then I will have to wait until next week, as I cannot go on Thursday or Friday.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Well good thing they dont have to go through GBI's ballistics. They are REALLY backed up right now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top