Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 6:42:26 AM EDT
I got a Savage Mod-10 Tactical w/22" a few weeks ago but one of the scope ring tension bolts was busted. I have the nut and the rail grabber.

Who makes these rings?  Knowing who I got it from they are not cheap.  I want to get a replacement one so I can shoot this puppy.

The rings are holding a Burris Euro Diamond scope 2.5-10x44mm that I'm gonna sell as I need more power, but I'm gonna keep these rings if I can.

Note the back side of the bolt inserted is not round.  These are 30mm rings.

This the first bolt gun I have had in 25 years so I'm kinda lost. Everything else I have is LaRue mounted.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The rings almost look like TPS rings - but like most every other big manufacturer, the end of the crossbolt is round, not squared like you have.

There are so many cheap manufacturers making rings that look like Badger, Nightforce, or whatever from China that there is no telling what they are. Judging by the square end of the crossbolt, I'd say that they are cheap knockoffs. As for a replacement, they are manufacturer specific, so if you manage to find out who that is then that will be the first step towards getting a replacement.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Darn!  I figured you would be the man who would see this and recognize it.  That's ok, you're still #1 in my book.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I try

In the beginning, it wouldn't have been hard to figure out. In this day and age though, everybody wants something that looks like Badgers - w/o spending Badger money. The result is a market flooded with rings that all look fairly similar. That's why Badger puts on a serial number, NF marks them and other companies all have their own methods to help identify them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
So where would this serial number be? This has the torx bolts the website lists, but with no side views I cannot confirm the square bolt end in the side. The guy I got the rifle from only uses top notch stuff.  2nd best is not his style at all. You'd  have to know him and see his collection.  It's jaw drop city.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Badger has their Serial# prominantly engraved on the face of the ring - you can't miss it. On Badgers, NF, TPS, etc rings, the torx screws all tighten below the surface of the ring cap also....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Remove the scope and look at the inside surfaces of the rings.  If there are grooves machined into the rings that go around the inside surface, they might be Smith Enterprise.

Are you trying to figure out the manufacturer for your own personal knowledge, or are you wanting them to replace the rings?  If the crossbolt snapped on those, I would be hesitatant to get another set of rings from them.

If you are anxious to shoot it, your quickest, best bet is going to be picking up a set of quality rings (Nightforce, TPS, Seekins Precision), remounting the scope, and heading to the range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My Smith Ent rings have round headed crossbolts.  They do look like Smiths, with the exception of that bolt.  As said above, if there are grooves in the ring mounting surface, they MAY be Smith.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an old set of SE's on a Rem700P, probably 12 years ago or so.  They weren't marking them with SE or serial #'s back then, but I can't remember if the crossbolt had a square head or not.  I do remember my SE's having very square, almost sharp, corners and edges like the ones in the pic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
No rings in he top half.  The search goes on.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't remember the grooves being in the top half of the rings, but they were definitely in the bottom halves of the rings.  http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/Rings_WEDMHD.lg.jpg

I'm not trying to rag on you or denigrate your rig, but if the previous owner was using a Savage 10FP, with a Burris scope and what looks like an aluminum Weaver rail, he might have gone cheap on the rings as well.  Best bet is to dump 'em and go with a known product.  I'd replace the rail as well while you're at it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I would prefer LaRue, but I don't have the money this time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't want to use LaRue on a bolt rifle - they are made for AR platforms. Putting even there lowest mounts on a bolt rifle will result in zero ability to get a proper cheak weld.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I can sympathize with being short on funds.

I can highly recommend Seekins Precision rings, they retail for $99 on his site.  Glen's rings are only available in aluminum, though, so if you want steel he ain't an option.

The new Brownell's Picatinny scope rings retail for $100 ($80 if you know a LEO or someone who has a Brownell's account), but I've never handled or seen 'em myself.  They're $60/$48 in aluminum.

Tactical Precision (TPS) makes some of the best rings on the market, but availability can be spotty on them.  If Brownell's has 'em in stock, they retail for $75 in 30mm ($48 for LEO's and account holders).

I've never had a problem with any of the TPS rings I've had on students' rifles coming through my school, and I've seen a lot of 'em.  TPS sent me a set of 35mm titanium rings several years back.  They were some of the nicest rings I have ever seen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top