Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 5:51:19 AM EDT
Looking for a complete HVAC system. Anyone here in the business? IM so i can contact you about what is good and what to stay away from.

rich
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
This saves me adding a new topic. I also am in need of one as mine stopped working and the technician could not fix it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm currently going through the same exercise.  You want at least a 80% or better a 90% efficient furnace and you want an A/C unit that is at least 15 SEER 2 speeds and 2 stages that has either 410 or Puron refrigerant.  I've been researching this for a few days now, one site with alot of info is:

http://www.reliableair.com/blog/

I've had 2 estimates so far and I have a couple more companies coming tomorrow.  Personally, i would stay away from heatpumps unless you are in S.GA or on the coast.  There is quite a bit of rebate money and tax credit money floating around right now on the more efficient units.  There will be more people in soon with a hell of a lot more info than me but this is what I have learned so far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dual Fuel is not a bad option in the Atlanta area and up, it is not so advantageous from Macon down to towards Fla. . It combines a gas furnace, for when it is really cold ,with a heat pump for milder days to heat your home. It is a very energy efficient way to heat compared to some gas furnace options and is adjustable in such a way that you can vote with your wallet who gets your money!!!! The gas co. or the electric co.!!!
90%+Furnaces and 15 SEER+ Air conditioning is worth the initial expense, even more so when the utilities get the rate hikes they are seeking.    
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to disagree but heat pumps are the way to go in the south.

electricity is cheap in Ga. why pay for gas?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree but many like to cook with gas
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because who wants to heat a house with a A/C?
They work great till it gets cold......each there own..when I did HVAC I asked folks do u want to be comfortable or save $?
Dual fuel is the way to go if u can afford it....that way u have the back up gas heat for when your heat pump turns into a block of ice
Or just go straight Air/GAS
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work great till it gets cold......each there own..when I did HVAC I asked folks do u want to be comfortable or save $?
Dual fuel is the way to go if u can afford it....that way u have the back up gas heat for when your heat pump turns into a block of ice

snow on the ground and I'm always warm. sorry fro but your argument is valid in the north. Not here.

I save money and stay comfortable year round.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snow on the ground and I'm always warm. sorry fro but your argument is valid in the north. Not here.

Like I said man each there own...I just never cared for the dang things.......
U sure yours dont trip over to heat strips when it gets below freezing?  Everyone I worked on the condensing unit had bi metals in it that would trip it off when it started to freeze up...or it just turned into a block of ice

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

U sure yours dont trip over to heat strips when it gets below freezing?  Everyone I worked on the condensing unit had bi metals in it that would trip it off when it started to freeze up...or it just turned into a block of ice

I know for a fact it doesn't. We pulled the heat strips years ago when they accidentally got turned on and caused a nasty power bill.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know for a fact it doesn't. We pulled the heat strips years ago when they accidentally got turned on and caused a nasty power bill.

Im amazed Im gona come see ya next time it gets to freezing

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bring the beer and pizza. All others will be shot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring the beer and pizza. All others will be shot.

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Try Andy Marcus with Marcus Heating and Air.  770-844-9862.  He's in Dahlonlega/Cumming and I've known him for more than 11 years.  Good people.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in the HVAC business, it has been a long 3 days; finally!!!  For ALL needs call John 770.365.8860.  I have one install job early AM today, other than just a few service calls so far.  Call early to get in line.  I service the north side of ATL.  I will make it down into the city, but my base is just north of 285 and Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.  I do not travel to extreme ranges, as I am a small business.  Please feel free to call.

-John
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a good friend who has been in the HVAC business for a long time. I have worked several installs with him as a helper  in the past and have always been impressed with the quality of his installs. If any of you guys are interested, IM me and I'll give you his name and number. Never hurts to get another quote,
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there any advantage to a scroll compressor vs a recip compressor?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top