Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2009 9:42:49 AM EDT
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/breaking_news/story/659792.html

Update: Police say shooting at Shooters apparently suicide

By Alan Riquelmy and Lily Gordon

A shooting at a local firing range about noon today appears to be a suicide, according to a law enforcement officer on the scene.

“It was on purpose,” said the police official. “They’ve got a video tape showing that. He put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger.”

Columbus police detectives were dispatched to Shooters of Columbus, 4445 Milgen Road, shortly before noon in reference to a reported shooting.

Another investigator on the scene said, “All I know is I’ve got a pile of blood in there.”

At 12:35 p.m. that same official said he was on his way to a local hospital.

Jim Walls has been a customer of Shooters for about four years and was checking on a re-loading component at the shop when he heard about the shooting.

“I’m shocked,” Walls said. “It’s set up very safe in there.”

A reporter is at Shooters now and will provide readers with further details as we get them.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
happens all the time , Poster on another board I hang out on owns a large indoor range and has had at least 3 of these. sooner or later someone decides it is quick and easy and someone else is left with the mess.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#2]
happened at the Shooters in Augusta several years back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Happened a few times in a local range in Northern CA and they changed their policy about renting guns. If you don't have one with you, you can't rent one. I believe it's a good policy. If you already have one why would go to a indoor range to rent one and then kill yourself?

It sucks if you in the market for your first one though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
As usual, the reporting from The Ledger Enquirer leaves much to be desired...

Anyone in Columbus got more details? I'm here but haven't been able to glean much info from anyone around here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Monday, Mar 23, 2009

Update: Police say gunman at Shooters has died

By Alan Riquelmy and Lily Gordon

A Columbus man who shot himself at a local firing range this morning has died.

The 36-year-old was pronounced dead at The Medical Center at 12:08 p.m., said Columbus Police Lt. Charles Kennedy. Police have called the death at Shooters of Columbus, 4445 Milgen Road, a suicide.

"He went into the range back there, shot a few times and ended up shooting himself," Kennedy said. "This individual tried to kill himself a few weeks back. He stabbed himself in the chest."

The man entered the business around 11:30 a.m. and checked out a .45-caliber pistol under the pretense that he might have bought it, Kennedy said.

The lieutenant added that a video tape of the shooting and well as other evidence is still being examined. Once done, he said it's likely the business will reopen.

Jim Walls has been a customer of Shooters for about four years and was checking on a re-loading component at the shop when he heard about the shooting.

“I’m shocked,” Walls said. “It’s set up very safe in there.”
I don't think it's the first time it has happened there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#6]
So did they grind off the serial number afterwards since that pistol now has a body on it?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a friend who works there on the weekends. I'll see what all I can find out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
So sad to hear this.  I wonder what went through his mind???
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A .45 bullet
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A 45 reload?

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So did they grind off the serial number afterwards since that pistol now has a body on it?  

Sounds like a discount buy opportunity.

I wonder if anyone was in the range area with him.....I know that would have scared me....especially if it was my first time in that type of environment.

Hope it didn't scar anybody and doesn't hurt business.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a discount buy opportunity.

I wonder if anyone was in the range area with him.....I know that would have scared me....especially if it was my first time in that type of environment.

Hope it didn't scar anybody and doesn't hurt business.

Its going to totally fuck business for a while ..... dont know how long they are going to be shut down.  And now that pistol is in the police lock up so they cant rent it out again.  And someone got a deal on some 45 I would think...... expecially since they are heat seeking.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe there was someone on the lane next to him. The guy used a Para 45.

I believe the store is open but the range is closed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think I've ever heard of a suicide victim referred to as a "gunman" before unless it was after they took out several other people.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I believe there was someone on the lane next to him. The guy used a Para 45.

I believe the store is open but the range is closed.
A Para?  No great loss then.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
A 45 reload?

WOW! That was a quick response!

The "Leftist Enquirer" in Columbus is known for it's second rate reporting.

[/quote]

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Can the shop owner file suit against the deceased's estate to recoup costs of wiping his brain off of the wall and floor?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe....but that's the last thing I'd do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, thats no bueno.  Those guys at Shooters have always been good to me when i have been in there.  I wouldn't want to have to deal with that crap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The man who committed suicide at Shooters on Monday,
turned out to be a friend of mine.  I hadn't seen or spoken
to him in awhile, he was 46, married with three children.
A graduate of the Naval Academy and served as a Marine Corps
officer.  Apparently, he was a severe manic depressive (Bi-Polar).

I suppose the burdens of life became to much to endure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The man who committed suicide at Shooters on Monday,
turned out to be a friend of mine.  I hadn't seen or spoken
to him in awhile, he was 46, married with three children.
A graduate of the Naval Academy and served as a Marine Corps
officer.  Apparently, he was a severe manic depressive (Bi-Polar).

I suppose the burdens of life became to much to endure.

Sorry for your loss.

If he was bi-polar then it's not that things become too much to endure, he can simply be out of his mind and do irrational shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I was there the day after the suicide and it was business as usual. The range was only closed for five or six hours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Probably killed himself after he saw the crazy prices that shooters wants for their guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#24]
That poor guy's life really had to be AFU for this to happen.

RIP Mr. Garcia.

God Bless
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top