Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2008 1:23:03 PM EDT
This seems to be happening more frequent than ever.

A jerk handles every gun you have in the shop then he asks to see several guns again. they finally make up their mind. They fill out the 4473 and they are approved then they watch you enter their personal information in the computer. You give them the total when they tell you they've changed their mind.

I'm a patient man, but it's hard for me to keep my cool in this situation.

TD
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe just seeing if they get tagged by the system?  
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that you cannot call in a background check until you have actually completed a transaction. That generally eliminates the folks who just want to know if they can pass it.

I let folks know up front that they may not get an answer for up to 3 days and tell them in advance that I will NOT refund their money unless they do not pass the background check. Then, if and when they fail, they will receive all of their money back except for $5 which is what I charge for the background check.

I just went thru this about a week ago and thought I was gonna have to call the cops on a guy when he was "delayed," he WANTED a refund, and he wanted it NOW, but he settled down as I reached for the phone. He ended up failing the background check and then the FBI wanted me to hold off on letting him know, til the local cops had a chance to see if they wanted to do a sting and pick him up at my shop. I called the buyer back immediately (as I had told him I would), he was there in 10 minutes, and I gave him his money back (minus the $5) REAL FAST!!!!! Like I wanted to be involved in having a guy arrested in my store!  I'd prefer NOT to get shot trying to get some low-life arrested.....  

Let the customer know up front, and you'll make your life SO much easier!
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm....the local place I go to near me on every customer does the background check first, and then you pay after you pass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm a patient man,

TD

Really?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a patient man,

TD

Really?

Doug, which part are you skeptical of?  The patient part or the man part?

;-)

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
+1

You tell customer there's no waiting period, but that the FBI can take up to 3 days to review their info. Customer fills out 4473 then pays you. You run the check and either the customer leaves with the gun or doesn't. That way, you're not the bad guy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Get their money FIRST, then run the check as mentioned.  Before you run the check tell you should be telling them they just bought a nice gun since you already have their money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top