Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2008 11:53:48 AM EDT
So I'm headed up to visit Atlanta this weekend. Is there anything I should be aware of? Besides Dragon-Con, since that's why I'm headed up. Filming a documentary about the geeks. Fun times.

Also, any odd peculiarities in CCW law? I've got the basics down, but any little lessons would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They're paving i75 and I85 in downtown.  Traffic will probably blow worse than usual.

www.georgia-navigator.com/construction/map/atlanta/central

City of Atlanta = Liberal = not gun friendly.  Not sure if Dragoncon falls into the Gov't Owned building category or "public gathering" category.  If so, CCW is against the law.  

At least you can carry on MARTA and into restaurants that serve alcohol.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2008 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They're paving i75 and I85 in downtown.  Traffic will probably blow worse than usual.

www.georgia-navigator.com/construction/map/atlanta/central

City of Atlanta = Liberal = not gun friendly.  Not sure if Dragoncon falls into the Gov't Owned building category or "public gathering" category.  If so, CCW is against the law.  

At least you can carry on MARTA and into restaurants that serve alcohol.  

concealed means concealed.... and all that jazzzz
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay as far away from 75/85 in downtown as you can. It's going to be backed you hours do to road work.

M.

Quoted:
So I'm headed up to visit Atlanta this weekend. Is there anything I should be aware of? Besides Dragon-Con, since that's why I'm headed up. Filming a documentary about the geeks. Fun times.

Also, any odd peculiarities in CCW law? I've got the basics down, but any little lessons would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Alabama and Clemson are in town also.
 And don't forget the Black Gay Pride festival.
 Tell me that ain't a powder keg.  A bunch of Bama and Clempson fans and black gays.
 I hope somebody films some of it for us.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Alabama and Clemson are in town also.
 And don't forget the Black Gay Pride festival.
 Tell me that ain't a powder keg.  A bunch of Bama and Clempson fans and black gays.
 I hope somebody films some of it for us.

Wow. That could be... Interesting. If I see anything, I'll break out the cameras.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not entirely sure where our hotel is vs. the convention, but I'll definitely try and avoid 75 and 85. Well, except tomorrow morning, since it appears to be the only decent way in to where we're going. But we'll be rolling through at about 5am, so hopefully it won't be TOO bad.

I'm going to avoid carrying at the con. Partially because it may/may not be a "public gathering", partially because the geek crowd can be a bit liberal, and might not react well, and mostly because I'll be carting around a whole crap-ton of camera gear, and anywhere I can shave off weight/discomfort is good.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
i've always wanted to go to one of these.  not because i'm a fan of that stuff, but more from a "national geographic" standpoint.  With the right group of people, and copious amounts of alcohol, these "con's" could be countless hours of entertainment...

hmmmm...
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The Con is gun-free unless it is for a costume then it must be 'peace bonded'.

I am going to try to make it on Sat, just not sure as of right now. ARFCom handle should be on badge unless someone else gets it first. I have had it previous years.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, gay pride AND a DragonCon.  Which will be stranger, I wonder?  It could really go either way (pun intended).
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
is dragoncon like ama (anime ______ in atl)???? my little cousins talk about this ama thing all the time, ppl dress up as cartoon characters and play games.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
is dragoncon like ama (anime ______ in atl)???? my little cousins talk about this ama thing all the time, ppl dress up as cartoon characters and play games.

Part of it is.  It's Sci-Fi, medieval period stuff, and comic books.  

www.dragoncon.org/
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#11]
All Dragoncon is anymore is a excuse for people to dress up like sluts etc.  Now granted I really have a problem with that , but most of them shouldn't be wearing what they are wearing.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
All Dragoncon is anymore is a excuse for people to dress up like sluts etc.  Now granted I really have a problem with that , but most of them shouldn't be wearing what they are wearing.  

Yeah, we have a family friend who always goes with her butt hanging out too.  She picks some different sci-fi character each year who dresses like a prostitute on screen and dresses up as her.  She's a looker, though, so no one complains.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The dude that ran dragon con was in HEAP-O-TROUBLE for molestering young boys a while back
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Dragon Con is a no gun zone, unless your in costume, then anything goes.
But officially it is a "public gathering".  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
All of the cool kids will be at The Cheetah.

ARH

Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#16]
We need another thread with pics of all the Cosplay losers.  Talk about hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I had some friends who came down to DragonCon last year...her husband is big into sifi and she loved Ghots Hunters and they were there....we meet them down there on Friday night...if u dont have anything to do go down there...words cant describe it
I will have to say the kid loved it...he is star wars freak...and when he would ask some of the folks for pictures they were all very nice and polite and didnt mine a 8 year old bugging them

Link Posted: 8/29/2008 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Con is gun-free unless it is for a costume then it must be 'peace bonded'.

I am going to try to make it on Sat, just not sure as of right now. ARFCom handle should be on badge unless someone else gets it first. I have had it previous years.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

metal detectors? wands? psychics? What do they use byte?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Why a Tricorder of course!
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#20]
As a life long trekkie... why didn't I think of that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, the weekend went fairly well. Got stuck in a hotel a ways away from the Con (The Renaissance) and got stuck walking down to the Hyatt/Marriott, until someone saw fit to tell us there was a MARTA station about a hundred yards from our hotel. Whoops.

Between the Gay Pride thing (Which was based at our hotel. Go figure), the Con, the football game, and other general chaos, downtown was a madhouse. I have to admit, I didn't leave with the greatest impression of the city. Although I think it'd be very nice if it WEREN'T a madhouse.

Which brings me to another question: I'm planning on coming back up the weekend of November 8 to do some followup with one of the people we met at the con who is participating in the ALS walk. Does anyone know what's going on that weekend that's causing downtown hotels to be booked solid/hideously expensive? It could just be the ALS walk itself, but I can't see that being the only thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why is it a public gathering?  Is it free to enter, in a public owned/operated building?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A google search turned up all kinds of events that day (the 8th) - an opthamology convention, a gala/fundraiser for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, and all kinds of things.  Looks like a busy weekend for downtown.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is it a public gathering?  Is it free to enter, in a public owned/operated building?  

Perhaps because it is a pay to get in(full access with badges), internationally sponsored event that attracts 50,000+ people(read: freaks) over one weekend.

Resistance it useless.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#25]
So the public can enter free of charge? (Hence the public gathering as opposed to a paid private gathering)?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So the public can enter free of charge? (Hence the public gathering as opposed to a paid private gathering)?

There are parts that you can freely walk about and gawk at(take pics of) the freaks, mainly all the hotel lobbies and a food court that is connected by bridges. To get into the dealers rooms and other places in the 'halls' they do check to see a DragonCon badge. The security actually does a pretty good job blending in and there are visible officers too. Not that it matters now, but at least one of the hotel lobbies has a bar.

Why does this always have to get so complicated?(not aimed at anyone in particular)

Here is a pic I took a few years ago...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Some areas are open to the public (namely the hotel lobbies), any of the actual convention spaces require a convention badge to enter.

As for security checks, concealed is concealed.  There are no provisions to check people for weapons (and, in fact, despite the "no projectile weapons" rule, I saw a number of functional bows), although they will peace-bond bladed weapons.  They DO have APD and GSP officers working security who are supposed to watch for weapons, but I suspect they spend more time looking at almost nekkid women :-) (had one on the smoking deck of the Hyatt, former Army officer, somebody spilled beer on her so she was stripped down to panties, patrol cap, shoes, and two small McCain 08 stickers :-) ).  There is a LOT of alcohol flowing, but thanks to a new law, that no longer qualifies the event as a 'public gathering' :-)
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:
...(had one on the smoking deck of the Hyatt, former Army officer, somebody spilled beer on her so she was stripped down to panties, patrol cap, shoes, and two small McCain 08 stickers :-) ).

Man, I *KNEW* I shouldn't have been avoiding the back of the Hyatt.

In all seriousness though, it was utterly ridiculous there, and in most of the lobbies, and, well, anywhere. Carting camera gear through there was NOT fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top