BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 4:58:50 AM EDT
Congressman moves to block guns at airport

By JAMES SALZER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/21/08

The chairman of the U.S. House's Homeland Security Committee wants the federal government to keep Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport a gun-free zone.

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) wrote Transportation Security Administration officials Monday asking them what they will do to keep guns out of the world's busiest airport in light of a new Georgia law that allows Georgians with carry permits to tote guns into restaurants that sell alcohol, onto public transportation and, supporters say, into the airport.

"It is my belief that federal law prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport and that TSA has the authority to enforce these restrictions," Thompson wrote. "To do otherwise would hamper TSA's ability to keep our airports secure."

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin has vowed to lobby Congress and federal officials to mandate that any public facility receiving federal money be declared a "gun-free zone." City officials have promised to arrest anyone carrying a gun at Hartsfield-Jackson. Gun advocates have sued to stop the city from searching or arresting people for "legally carrying firearms."

Gun advocates say the new law, which took effect July 1, means people with the proper permits could carry concealed weapons in the non-secure areas in front of airport security gates. Federal law prohibits guns beyond the security gates.

Attempts to reach Rep. Tim Bearden (R-Villa Rica), the gun law's champion, were unsuccessful.

In his letter to Kip Hawley, assistant secretary of TSA, Thompson asked for the federal security plan for Hartsfield-Jackson.

"TSA's inability to protect the general public from individuals carrying concealed weapons into an airport would pose a serious and unnecessary security threat," Thompson wrote. "If TSA management believes that no current law exists to clearly designate areas of an airport within the control and authority of federal transportation officials, the committee may seek legislative action to correct this omission."

I am not sure what to think about this. A federal law would have to be written to outlaw guns at ALL airports. Would this mean that we could no longer travel with guns? Does this guy realize that many states allow concealed carry at their airports?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Congressman moves to block guns at airport

Attempts to reach Rep. Tim Bearden (R-Villa Rica), the gun law's champion, were unsuccessful.

BULLSHIT.

He loves stating his case. He'd explain his point of view to a tree if it would ask him how it felt.

I guess the AJC called 5 minutes before deadline st 2 in the morning.

The AJC- Second verse, same as the first. They'll never change.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]
My question is what the hell does a Mississippi man care what we do here in Ga.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Like most libtards, he is a busy body
Logic matters not to Shrill Shirley, Batty Ben or Bennie the Busy Body

The Bald Monk

His Web Site
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
After spending time in Gulfport, the state of Mississippi is better off focusing on their own affairs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Mr. Bennie is a nobody. If this is the best Shrieking Shirley can do then the battle is half over.

In October 2007, Thompson was criticized after Democrat staffers for the House Homeland Security Committee were advised to take five different vaccines for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria and influenza before attending NASCAR races at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina.

Thompson has been criticized for trips he made in April 2007 as chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee. Thompson, along with eight other members of congress, took trips to Mexico City, Honduras, the Virgin Islands, and Key West, Florida aboard a $85,000,000 government-owned Boeing executive jet. The trips cost up to $130,000 just to fly. The flight members also stayed at luxury hotels, such as one Caneel Bay resort, which were also paid for by the government. The trips were said to be made to "check out matters of homeland security."

He voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)

He voted NO on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)

He voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)

He has been rated F by the NRA. (Dec 2003)

In 2007 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Thompson a rating of F-.

He has voted with a majority of his Democratic colleagues 97.6% of the time during the current Congress, so he's just a party hack.

He has stated that he would reauthorize the ban on the sale or transfer of semi-automatic guns, except those used for hunting (even if you hunt with an semi AK?).

He has stated that he would require background checks on gun sales between private citizens at gun shows (the ominous Evil Gun Show Loophole™).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
So basically he's another Obama.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree Bennie GBizzyBody is tool but he has some influence on the DHS's purse
Bureaucraps such as the tool pictured below will kowtow to most anybody in Congress.
Too many are willing to trade "freedom" for "safety"
I am from the "Hoot" school of safety

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I was going to send him an email,however he only takes email from people from inside miss.
well if you dont want to hear from me dont come into my state and be a busy body here.
i am going to figure a way to email him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top