Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 7:20:46 PM EDT
Her name is Bailey and she is about 4-5 years old.  I got her off of craigs list today for a small "rehoming fee."  She does not like cats, at all.  We have 2 indoor cats and fully expected Bailey to be an indoor dog, but with her relationship with the cats(think dinner) she cannot stay.  I talked to the original owner and they do not want to go through the trouble of taking her back and giving her away again.  The guy was crying when I picked her up.

The good news is, I have two small children in the house and Bailey loves them, she gets along fine and has already shown protective traits around my son(4 years old).

The bad news is I will be taking her to the atlanta humane society Wednesday morning unless one of YOU would like to adopt her.  Pics to follow.

You can contact me through IM or email.

PS, she has no papers(owners lost them in a move), but it is freaking obvious that she is full blood and shows no signs of bad health at all.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn bud, that is sad to hear.  I used to have a GSD a few years back.  I'd love to help and at least foster her for a bit.  Hell who knows.  

But I'm leaving out of town for VA on Wed-Sun.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  Beautiful dog.  Honestly, I would get rid of the cats.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wow.  Beautiful dog.  Honestly, I would get rid of the cats.

Already discussed it.  Wife was not happy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
damn that's a beautiful dog....so tempting
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Is she house broken?  Does she need shots, etc?  Do you have her health record?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested but I don't get back from the beach till Thursday.  Also more questions.  Why did the original owner give her away?  She does walk well on leash?  Does she chew/rip things up?  Any other info?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
She has a rabies tag that is current.  I have no other health or ID records other than that.  She is absolutely house broken and it is obvious she was an indoor dog.

Guys, I want to clear something up, if I take her to a shelter, it will NOT be a kill shelter, thia dog is too good for that.

Thanks for the interest.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm interested but I don't get back from the beach till Thursday.  Also more questions.  Why did the original owner give her away?  She does walk well on leash?  Does she chew/rip things up?  Any other info?

Story from the original owner was, she was the sons dog, he is going to west georgia next month.  The father is a truck driver and gone most of the week, and the mother did not want to look after a dog..

She does walk well on a leash, but she will lead you if you let her.

No chewing/ripping that I have seen.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She does not like cats, at all.  We have 2 indoor cats and fully expected Bailey to be an indoor dog, but with her relationship with the cats(think dinner) she cannot stay.

What training methods did you try to teach her cats are family members, not dinner?

Even if her prior owner taught her to hunt and eat cats, this problem is fixable.  The breed is capable of guarding prey animals, it can be taught to not attack other predators.

Here's hoping for a positive result.

Allen

What training methods do you recommend?  Seriously, I have no clue other than introducing them and allowing them to interact.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
She does not like cats, at all.  We have 2 indoor cats and fully expected Bailey to be an indoor dog, but with her relationship with the cats(think dinner) she cannot stay.

What training methods did you try to teach her cats are family members, not dinner?

Even if her prior owner taught her to hunt and eat cats, this problem is fixable.  The breed is capable of guarding prey animals, it can be taught to not attack other predators.

Allen

What training methods do you recommend?  Seriously, I have no clue other than introducing them and allowing them to interact.

allen knows his dog stuff, he should be able to help you out.  I have done it in the past, and it is important to introduce them very slowly.  I kept the cats in a room and let the dog sniff under the door for a couple of days and get used to the smell of them.  At night i would put the dog in a crate and let the cats roam to get used to the smell of the dog.  

Then the following week i rigged the door to the cats room slightly open so that they could see each other but the dog could not get to the cats.  Of course the bastard cats took swipes at the dog through the opening but he realized not to get too close.

After that i introduced them with me holding the cat.  Followed by cat on floor and dog on leash.  Any attempt to eat cat was met with discipline.  It is a slow process but it works.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Man that a beautiful dog. I wish I could help, but I can't really afford a big dog right now. Why don't you try offering it up to someone around you first before rushing her to the humane society.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allen

allen knows his dog stuff, he should be able to help you out.  I have done it in the past, and it is important to introduce them very slowly.  I kept the cats in a room and let the dog sniff under the door for a couple of days and get used to the smell of them.  At night i would put the dog in a crate and let the cats roam to get used to the smell of the dog.  

Then the following week i rigged the door to the cats room slightly open so that they could see each other but the dog could not get to the cats.  Of course the bastard cats took swipes at the dog through the opening but he realized not to get too close.

After that i introduced them with me holding the cat.  Followed by cat on floor and dog on leash.  Any attempt to eat cat was met with discipline.  It is a slow process but it works.

That is a good method, I will try it today.  What do you mean by discipline?  Stern voice?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allen

That is a good method, I will try it today.  What do you mean by discipline?  Stern voice?

depends on the dog.  By discipline i mainly mean not letting them do what they want to and making sure they know they are not the boss.

I have a Dobie that all i have to do is change the tone of my voice and she hits the deck.  My Dane on the other hand is a real fucker.  I ended up having to train him on an e-collar and the discipline is much more aggressive/physical.  I don't mean beating him or anything like that but he doesn't respect anyone that can't move him around so with him it is a very aggressive tone of voice, pop on the leash, and i make him go down.

I learned with the Dane that different breads respond to different types of training.  My Dobie very much wants to please me, probably the same with the GSD.  The Dane just wants to do whatever he wants and is lead around by his nose.  With a little time i bet you will have this problem solved no sweat.

If you can make it a few more days i bet you will see great results, she sounds like a great dog.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Gorgeous dog. If I hadn't just got a boxer puppy I'd be up for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]
One thing you'll have to incorporate into the rehabilitation is that you and your family members cannot tense up when the dog and cats are near each other.  The animals will feed off of your energy and act accordingly.  Just act as if there is nothing unusual about what is going on.  I am having to go through this right now introducing my new Husky puppy to my roomate's Chihuahua.  I'm having to train my roommate as much as I'm having to train the dogs.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Email Sent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Man that a beautiful dog. I wish I could help, but I can't really afford a big dog right now. Why don't you try offering it up to someone around you first before rushing her to the humane society.

Nix that...I showed the wife. IM Sent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Allen is spot on. Ive got a couple books you can borrow on training K9s. I live in smyrna. Its not super hard you just have remain consistant.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#22]
guys, thanks for the support.  I knew she would find a good home fast.  My wife just is not firm enough with Bailey to help train her, in fact after she saw Bailey lunge for the cats I think she became afraid.  I can't allow my wife to be afraid in her house, especially as a stay at home mom.  All of your advice is appreciated and will be utilized introducing a new GSD puppy in a few months.

Guys that have contacted me, I am waiting on your phone call.

Justin
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Guys, Bailey might have found a new home.  I will be meeting tonight to see if it is a match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top