Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 6:50:14 PM EDT
Im about to start building a ar to shoot in 3 gun matches and i am trying to figure out what type of optic i need to put on it so how fare are yall normally shooting with your ar during a match?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
irons

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well.....sorry to tell ya this....but its a never ending quest to find the "best" optic for your rifle (well it is for me anyway).

You have the 1x-4x variable scopes and red dots (aimpoint, eotech, ect..) that make up the majority of the optics you will see on the range. The ruff part is finding one that you like, can ford....and works/is reliable.

I am running a eotech right now and like it for the 100yds and in range. I don't like it for 100yds and out. I am saving my pennies for one of the 1-4x optics. I am still looking for the perfect setup......

If you do a search in the HTF you will find some GREAT info that our resident 3 gun gurus posted a month or so ago on this same topic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It's here.

I personally run a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4 with a Optima 2000 red dot mounted on a 45 rail on my forearm. It take a little getting used to but I swear I'm better with it now. I do still carry an EoTech and use it if the course layout looks more advantageous. Recently we shot a "Zombie Match" and the EoTech ruled. shots were all within 50 yds and a magnified optic really got in the way.

Bottom line like caver said- find what works best for YOU. Borrow some optics from friends. Shoot their guns. Set up a mini 3-gun state at someone's house or a range.

Oh- and practice shotgun reloads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I think im going to look into buying a eotech again after i get my build done
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you are clear on what organization is running the match, and how different sights (optic vs. iron) are classified.  Getting thrown into Open when you don't want to be there isn't fun.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's here.

I personally run a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4 with a Optima 2000 red dot mounted on a 45 rail on my forearm. It take a little getting used to but I swear I'm better with it now. I do still carry an EoTech and use it if the course layout looks more advantageous. Recently we shot a "Zombie Match" and the EoTech ruled. shots were all within 50 yds and a magnified optic really got in the way.

Bottom line like caver said- find what works best for YOU. Borrow some optics from friends. Shoot their guns. Set up a mini 3-gun state at someone's house or a range.

did you read the thread in optics about the accupoint 1-4x that is going to have an upgraded reticle?  I am waiting on that bad boy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's here.

did you read the thread in optics about the accupoint 1-4x that is going to have an upgraded reticle?  I am waiting on that bad boy.

The new reticle still sucks in my opinion. Not much better than the triangle.

The Meopta 1-4x K dot is pretty much the shiznit for the money right now.

I'm real close to dropping the coin on the new Swarovski Z6i 1-6 with circle dot reticle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's here.

I'm real close to dropping the coin on the new Swarovski Z6i 1-6 with circle dot reticle.

I actually have the old triangle and prefer it for 3 gun. the tip of  the triangle is sighted in for 100yds and then anything close range gets the triangle placed on it's center and the trigger is pulled.

What works for you works for you and what works for me works for me.

The #4 reticle IS an improvement for hunting, not for 3 gunning.

There is no effing way that I would ever drop $1,979.00 on 3 gun glass. Hell I could build 3 NICE guns for that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]

There is no effing way that I would ever drop $1,979.00 on 3 gun glass. Hell I could build 3 NICE guns for that.

You'd be sick if you knew what I've spent on optics in the past two years trying to find "THE SCOPE" for 3 gun.
I could have easily bought 3 or 4 Swarovskis
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
haven't we all blown money looking for the perfect solution..

why don't you save the rest of us the trouble and let us try your old ones out
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's here.

i am talking about the one that is being developed that nobody has seen yet, supposed to include ballistic drop and all that.  According to the trijicon guys it will be made to directly compete with the short dot.  I agree that the "german" crosshair or whatever they came out with blows.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Just come shoot everyone elses gear and see what you like.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's here.

i am talking about the one that is being developed that nobody has seen yet, supposed to include ballistic drop and all that.  According to the trijicon guys it will be made to directly compete with the short dot.  I agree that the "german" crosshair or whatever they came out with blows.

From what they tell me at Trijicon......that reticle ain't happenin. It was a vicious rumor.
The technology of the ACOG and TR series are no where near compatible. The reticle that everyone wants in the TR series is not possible from what they tell me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top