Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 3:26:59 PM EDT
Alright fellas, it looks like I may be getting a .50 BMG in the near future.  I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about them other than what I have learned from shooting Larry's at some of the HTF shoots and what I was able to gather through the .50 cal forum here on ARFCOM.  I have joined the Fifty Cliber Shooter's Association, which I hear has everything I might ever want to know about the topic.

That being said, do any of you guys ahve any experience with fifties?  Right now I am thinking that the State Arms Rebel is the way to go.  There seems to be more features for the price there than with anything else on the market.  I would like to keep it under $2500.

I know Larry is going to tell me to get the Armalite AR50.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Alright fellas, it looks like I may be getting a .50 BMG in the near future.  I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about them other than what I have learned from shooting Larry's at some of the HTF shoots and what I was able to gather through the .50 cal forum here on ARFCOM.  I have joined the Fifty Cliber Shooter's Association, which I hear has everything I might ever want to know about the topic.

That being said, do any of you guys ahve any experience with fifties?  Right now I am thinking that the State Arms Rebel is the way to go.  There seems to be more features for the price there than with anything else on the market.  I would like to keep it under $2500.

I know Larry is going to tell me to get the Armalite AR50.

I have an Ultrmag 50. You can either get a complete rifle or an upper for an AR lower. I really like mine and have had no complaints from the many people who have shot it.

http://www.ultramag50.com/
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoa! will that .50 upper fit on a standard lower?  that's awesome!

ah crap, now I gotta find one of those!

you are going to bring that to the next shoot right?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, looks like the mag feeds from the left side.  The only thing you evidently have to swap on the lower is a hammer they provide.  I'm honestly seriously tempted since I've got a spare lower :)
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one of the AR 50 cal uppers on a single shot lower. Mine was the same as the mag fed above, just without the mag feed.

To be honest with you, there is no where around here to stretch out its legs. My home range is 500yds and thats no fun with a 50. So I sold mine.

If I were to do it over again, I would get the Viper by Blue Grass Armory....but I would have to live some where I could shoot 1500+yds.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Whoa! will that .50 upper fit on a standard lower?  that's awesome!

ah crap, now I gotta find one of those!

you are going to bring that to the next shoot right?

Yes it fits on a standard lower. I have had it out at Madison a few times. If I ever make it to Creekside I will certainly bring it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had one of the AR 50 cal uppers on a single shot lower. Mine was the same as the mag fed above, just without the mag feed.

To be honest with you, there is no where around here to stretch out its legs. My home range is 500yds and thats no fun with a 50. So I sold mine.

If I were to do it over again, I would get the Viper by Blue Grass Armory....but I would have to live some where I could shoot 1500+yds.

I really thought about the bluegrass gun, but I have heard so many horor stories about their customer service that I think I'll stay away.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=562442

saw this one

That's 5k for a single shot bolt action????????

As predicted, I say get an AR50.

As someone noted, there really isn't anywhere around here to really stretch it's legs, but I ain't getting rid of mine.

BTW, MidwayUSA has .50 BMG on sale right now:

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=729462&eblastid=70820083&custnum=101175090&utm_source=bigimage&utm_medium=special70820083

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats not a bad price, I just wonder what the headstamp is on it.

I have been looking at this stuff.  I just don't know if it is corrosive or not.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thats not a bad price, I just wonder what the headstamp is on it.

I have been looking at this stuff.  I just don't know if it is corrosive or not.

SL (St. Louis Ordance Plant) 52 Headstamps, each Linked 100 rnds is all one headstamp.  This ammunition is from a time when they knew how to make 50 BMG brass cases in the SL arsenal that has long ago closed.  The cases are all boxer primed and fully reloadable and the brass is extremely high quality Korean War era quality. Shoot a piece of history. This M33 ball ammo surplus is rapidly disappearing. What a gift for the Korean War vet in your famility even if you don't own a 50. This stuff is 100% funtioning. No misfires. It has been stored properly and it looks brand new. PRICES PLUS SHIPPING.

1 = 100 BELTED ROUNDS  $ 325.00 packed in the original ammo can.  

THIS IS NOT REMANUFACTERED AMMUNITION, THIS IS ARSENAL AMMO FROM THE EARLY 50's.

Non_Corrosive, Boxer Primed, Virgin Ammuntion. QUANTITY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE. CALL FOR DETAILS.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I know that it says that, bu the St. Louis plant that made that stuff, began making the non-corrosive ammo in september of 1952.  So I am still hesitant that some of it is corrosive
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah, I know that it says that, bu the St. Louis plant that made that stuff, began making the non-corrosive ammo in september of 1952.  So I am still hesitant that some of it is corrosive

you have done WAY more research than I have then.  I know I cant afford to feed a 50 so I dont even bother.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Kinda funny, but I got a $100 off coupon in the mail today from the folks I bought my upper from.

If anybody is serious about buying a single shot 50 cal upper I will mail them this coupon (its transferable and serial numbered). It expires 8/31/08.

Website is www.ultralite50.com
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If the price is right why worry? All you have to do is take a couple of minutes to clean the gun at the range. I could understand if it was with a semi due to the extra cleaning involved but with a bolt action it's no big deal. Just buy some cheap dollar store window cleaner and run down the bore, run some patches through till its dry then oil it before you leave.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you have done WAY more research than I have then.  I know I cant afford to feed a 50 so I dont even bother.

Well here is the reply from the email I sent Wideners yesterday.

"Really we are unsure, it was produced in the early 50's. 52-53 is what we have seen out of it."
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the price is right why worry? All you have to do is take a couple of minutes to clean the gun at the range. I could understand if it was with a semi due to the extra cleaning involved but with a bolt action it's no big deal. Just buy some cheap dollar store window cleaner and run down the bore, run some patches through till its dry then oil it before you leave.

I understand waht you are saying, but let me ask you a question.  Would you put corrosive ammo in your Ed Brown?  Even if you would, you would sure as hell think twice about it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand waht you are saying, but let me ask you a question.  Would you put corrosive ammo in your Ed Brown?  Even if you would, you would sure as hell think twice about it.

No, it's semi auto.

Just like my Tiger which is worth about the same. The gas system is all chromed but I don't want to have to worry about cleaning every nook and cranny which is a pain since 90% of the 7.62x54r out there is corrosive surplus. If it was a bolt action I say heck ya, go for the cheap stuff it isn't going to hurt anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top