Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2008 11:00:00 AM EDT
Just curious if there are any mtn bikers in the HTF??????????

I have been a road rider for a number of years, but just got bit by the mtn bike bug.

Anyway, if any of the ATL guys want to come up and ride let me know. Lots of trails around me. Ft. Mtn, bear creek, pilchers pond, john's mtn, raisin woods, Pinhoti, ect.....

I am in the Dalton area, about 5 minutes from the end of the Snake Creek Gap time trial route.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I just started riding again about 2 months ago, but I'm down in Columbus so it would be a bit of a drive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
im in the Augusta area and have been riding seriously for about 1 year. theres numerous places out here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Well cool, was hopping some of yall would be further north.

What bikes are yall riding?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been a "mountain" biker since 1987 - man, I'd love to have my old Cannondale from then...

Canton is my newest home.  I ride a lot at the Blankets Creek trails on Sixes road off of I-575.  If you get down this way let me know and we'll turn a few laps.

Just getting back on the bike after a whole bunch of medical fun last year.  I'll be racing mostly 6 hour races again next year on my trusty 2004 Santa Cruz Blur.  

Bear Creek is a fun one.  Do you ride up the fire road to get to the top or just park at the bottom?  Watch out for strange and curious goings on up there, by the way.  I've seen people "just walking around" in the woods but in full camo...

What bike did you start your mountain fun with?

Dave

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been riding for about a year.  The trails at fort Yargo are generally where I ride.  My fitness level is still a bit lacking but I can do seven to ten miles before collapsing.  I have an old specialized stump jumper...nothing fancy but it gets the job done.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushjockey, when we do bear creek we park a few miles away (go to the end of the pavement on Gates Chapel Rd, make a left on the gravel road at the "Y", make a right on the next gravel road when you hit pavement, go about 1/2 mile). The owner of the bike shop in Dalton owns a cabin right where one of the trails dumps out on the gravel road. We ride from there.

The last time we road from the cabin, up bearcreek, to the overlook, back down and then over to climb FS90 and then left at FS road 90B for a very very fast and fun downhill single track back out at the cabin. I am no racer by any stretch of the imagination

I got a deal on a 2007 Specialized Sumpjumper COMP from a buddy with a few upgrades. Brought the wife home a new Giant Trance last night.

not my pic, but looks like this one:

not my pic, but its the wifes bike:

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
TEAM WEEZER  reporting in.

I started mountain biking in Daytona Beach while at school on a ROSS Mt Hood.  It was a MTB but the biggest hill was crossing the railroad trax.

Brought that ride back home to Tucker & some HS buddies & me would ride anywhere we could-top floor in Bike Ways of Tucker bike shop, Red Top Mtn, Kennesaw, Stone Mtn., Coffee Road, Palisades Trails & Soap Creek near the 'hooch, Parking decks-the World Congress Center was 10 floors of pure flat track racing w/ an elevator to take you to the top for more laps.

Now days I'm TEAM WEEZER with zero lungs & legs but a decent ride looking for place relatively flat to ride until I can get my legs & lungs back.  I'm in the Monroe, GA area.

Its been a while since I went to Ft Yargo-is there a rideable trail all the way around the lake now?  There wasn't way back when.

7mm
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been riding for a few years, usually go to blankets when i do go although it has been a while. I started out riding with my BIL but he has since had two kids so.... not much time anymore.

I would like to work my way up to some of those trails i have heard about those trails the few times i check out the SORBA site but i have never ridden them
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Mtn bike. it is an old Gary Fisher.  I like to ride, I live in the Trenton GA area.......

Targethunter Out
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:Its been a while since I went to Ft Yargo-is there a rideable trail all the way around the lake now?  There wasn't way back when.

Ft. Yargo has VERY nice trails.  There are quite a few races there throughout the year, including some very nice 6/12 hour races.  Try here: http://yaba.homestead.com/
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My two sons and I terrorize the ATV trails and powerlines behind the house, and Paulding Forest trails in Paulding Co. We occasionally ride Blankets Creek and the bike/horse trail that runs alongside the Silver comet trail. One has a diamondback and the older runs a Felt Q-920 , I have a old Raleigh M-50. The Felt and Raleigh have been converted to Single speed.
My oldest son a Jarhead who resides in lovely 29 Stumps,Ca occassionally rides when he is home on leave on an old GT (that one of his brothers destroyed on a jump recently-uh-oh.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I ride a Cannondale Prophet 4 this is just a pic from the Cannondale site.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Well cool. Did not think there would be this many folks.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:Its been a while since I went to Ft Yargo-is there a rideable trail all the way around the lake now?  There wasn't way back when.

Ft. Yargo has VERY nice trails.  There are quite a few races there throughout the year, including some very nice 6/12 hour races.  Try here: http://yaba.homestead.com/

Dang!

It has been to long since I have been to Ft Yargo and after checking out yaba & sorebutt's websites it looks like I have been missing out. I still have a few questions; how long is the trail @ Yargo?  Would you rate it a single track, double track, technical trail, rocky, big rocks, little rocks, logs, rooty, smooth, rolling hills, tight switch backs, jumps, water bars, steep & short climbs, steep & long climbs, etc...

This will motivate me to pull the Klien down & tune her up and try to get some legs under me to do some off roading.

7mm
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#15]

I still have a few questions; how long is the trail @ Yargo?  Would you rate it a single track, double track, technical trail, rocky, big rocks, little rocks, logs, rooty, smooth, rolling hills, tight switch backs, jumps, water bars, steep & short climbs, steep & long climbs, etc...

The cross-country race loop is around 5 miles but they add other loops to the 6/12 hour course to get around 10 miles - I'm guessing around the lake.  The trails are all fairly groomed and would be considered "intermediate" skill level.  That said - I would be confident a youngster (7 or 8) could ride the whole thing.  Not a lot of climbing, not a lot of rocks or roots, just sweet singletrack.  

I wish I lived closer because just thinking about Yargo makes me want to get on the bike!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like I'll get to Yargo this weekend.  

Gotta work Sat until about 5pm but may be able to get there Sun after church.  Just need to do a little tuning to my sled & check my sons out too.

7mm
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
We did a 8 mile loop at John's Mtn on Wed and nearly 10 miles at the local mtb park last night (Saul Raisin Woods). All that after a 30 mile road ride Tuesday where we managed to climb every hill/mtn we could find......tonight is dedicated to laying in the hammock and drinking "recovery beverages"

How do you post or attach a file? I have a small file that opens google earth and plots the route from my Garmin 305. Any advice??
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I ride at Chicopee most of the time, on a GT Avalanche hardtail. There's also a decent trail network at Gainesville College.  I got into it primarily as cross-training for running. I'm pretty slow at both. I haven't traveled up into the mountains to ride, but there are a lot of places.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Carver What days do you normally ride?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#20]
dt
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I ride at Chicopee most of the time, on a GT Avalanche hardtail. There's also a decent trail network at Gainesville College.  I got into it primarily as cross-training for running. I'm pretty slow at both. I haven't traveled up into the mountains to ride, but there are a lot of places.

Well....today was the first day in 6 days that I have not been on a bike (mtb or road). I get off work around 4:30 and generaly hit the trails/road around 6-630 on a bike. Its just too darn hot during the day.....and I got to work anyway. We usualy ride every sat/sun and your welcome to come up and ride with us anytime.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Team Weezer reporting in...1 shake down lap of the neighbor hood & I'm whipped...later 2 laps woohoo.

7mm
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
We have a pretty fair MB course at Harrison Bay state park. It is 4.5 miles long and follows the riverbank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top