Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:26:21 AM EDT
...considering in my previous bolt carrier issue post the staking by RRA leaves some to doubt the job done by RRA.

So with the tools at hand can it be done?  
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk227/RRA-556/IMG_1457_edited.jpg

There are various nail sets & punches not pictured.  Oh I also have some pretty serious vice grips if those will work

So here is the way it looks now,
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk227/RRA-556/IMG_1468_edited.jpg

Without spending bucks on the cool hex screw staking tool from Brownells what is the next best way?

7mm
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Toothbrush and hemostats, for the win!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Well they do have a special use.

I figured the Dremel would be the right tool just not sure if this is the right job?

7mm
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I figured the Dremel would be the right tool just not sure if this is the right job?

7mm

the Dremel IS the right tool but wrong job like you said ......... the Dremel is ONLY used for fluting your barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

7mm

the Dremel IS the right tool but wrong job like you said ......... the Dremel is ONLY used for fluting your barrel.

Well, and cutting new picatinny rail slots and threading your barrel for a suppressor. Just those three things.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Seriously, use small flat blade chisel and whack it really good across both the key and hex bolt head. It is not cut, it is compressed. It is done to help keep the hex bolt from backing out.

I just like saying hemostat.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

7mm

Well, and cutting new picatinny rail slots and threading your barrel for a suppressor. Just those three things.

I already followed the DIY barrel fluting.  It turned it great.  Just have to go real slow & buy about 2 ball cutters for every 5 inches of fluting you cut.

Do I make the picatinny cuts in the hand guard? or straight into the barrel?

7mm
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I feel like a homo.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel like a homo.

Yeah Bradd, that's the face to look at a homo with...mouth wide open.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Without spending bucks on the cool hex screw staking tool from Brownells what is the next best way?

Just an observation: Brownells seems to go by the motto, "a tool for ANY possible job". Not to get confused with 'The right tool for the job'.

Do they REALLY have a hex screw staking tool?!?!?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just an observation: Brownells seems to go by the motto, "a tool for ANY possible job". Not to get confused with 'The right tool for the job'.

Do they REALLY have a hex screw staking tool?!?!?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Ooops my bad I thought it was Brownells but its Michiganguns...
http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

7mm
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The Pocket MOACKS is a pretty cool tool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Pocket MOACKS is a pretty cool tool.

It DOES look pretty cool .. but dag gum ... its expensive as all get out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Seriously, use small flat blade chisel and whack it really good across both the key and hex bolt head. It is not cut, it is compressed. It is done to help keep the hex bolt from backing out.

I just like saying hemostat.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Thinking out loud: ...And be very sure to have the key supported on the side opposite from the one you're whacking.  As closely as possible, the support should be in-line with, and opposite to with the direction of the hammer blow.

Take everything I say with rock-sized grains of salt.  While I'm a mechanical engineer (hence: "injun-ear"..."engineer" was already taken) and a Smith, I ain't no gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Wow, that's like nothing, their staking job didn't even bite into the screws.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk227/RRA-556/IMG_1468_edited.jpg

Wow, that's like nothing, their staking job didn't even bite into the screws.

That stake job is wrong as two brothers %ucking!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]

They have just pressed the sides of the key into the screws, it's odd, but it ought to work.

Most folks prefer to smashticate the cheaper part...that being the screws, so that they press against the key.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
When I get back to my workbench I'll post the after picture since the before is already up.

byte,  I'll try to get the tooth brush & HEMOSTATs involved in the staking process.  Heck I got about a 20lb granite rock I can either use as bench top or as a hammer.

7mm

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They have just pressed the sides of the key into the screws, it's odd, but it ought to work.

Most folks prefer to smashticate the cheaper part...that being the screws, so that they press against the key.

I would prefer the method shown in the pic, but more completely done.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top