Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2007 4:02:49 AM EDT
I'm I'm coming home for Christmas. I was wanting to take my little boy to see the Museum .I went a s a small child myself with my father. I don't remember anything about it. I did do a search and didn't really find what I wanted to know.  Is it on POST ? If so can I get on to see it ? I see where they are building a new site for it . Has anyone been and is it worth me driving from Macon area to see ?? Thanks guys , ole WarDawg here...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been twice, but both times were years ago. Definitely worth it from Macon.  I don't think it's technically on post (could be wrong) but my dad and I were strictly civilian when we went and had no trouble going to see it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say its worth the drive, they have some very historic guns and unique one off test guns as well as a lot of other interesting things including around 10-15 tanks. You can get on post with no problem, come in through the i-185 gate and stop at the visitor center and tell them where you are going they will give you a temp pass to get on post for the day make sure to have you insurance, drivers license and registration and to carry it all into the building to get the temp pass. They are currently working on a new museum site that can be accessed from off post, it is going to be enormous and include a company "street" from the world war 2 period however this won't be open for at least another year. Right now they have a lot of stuff they don't have room to display. You could easily spend 2-3 hours looking through the museum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a few years since I have been but they have some neat stuff.

Official Web Site

More Info

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it is a museum, and it has infantry stuff in there.

< runs >

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm I'm coming home for Christmas. I was wanting to take my little boy to see the Museum .I went a s a small child myself with my father. I don't remember anything about it. I did do a search and didn't really find what I wanted to know.  Is it on POST ? If so can I get on to see it ? I see where they are building a new site for it . Has anyone been and is it worth me driving from Macon area to see ?? Thanks guys , ole WarDawg here...

Yes, it's on Ft. Benning, but getting on post is no sweat.  Go to the main gate entrance on I-185 south (take Victory Drive to get there), they can issue you a temporary pass there.

And yes, it's definitely worth the trip.  Lots of cool stuff.  If you're into Civil War stuff too, check out the Confederate Naval Museum on Victory Drive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it's on Ft. Benning, but getting on post is no sweat.  Go to the main gate entrance on I-185 south (take Victory Drive to get there), they can issue you a temporary pass there.

And yes, it's definitely worth the trip.  Lots of cool stuff.  If you're into Civil War stuff too, check out the Confederate Naval Museum on Victory Drive.

Thanks guys... I got the info I needed to know from yall. Like I said I went as a small bot with my father. Had to be mid- late 70's . I couldn't remember. Well anyhow taking my 7 year old there this Christmas season. Going to be a good time. Thanks again WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys... I got the info I needed to know from yall. Like I said I went as a small bot with my father. Had to be mid- late 70's . I couldn't remember. Well anyhow taking my 7 year old there this Christmas season. Going to be a good time. Thanks again WarDawg

Oh my god he's a fucking robot. I need to make sure my robot insurance from old glory is up to date.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh my god he's a fucking robot. I need to make sure my robot insurance from old glory is up to date.

LOL... I just saw that. Well thats my Georgia education showing it's finest again. !!! LOL Thanks guys WarDawg.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to the museum today and would recommend the drive from Macon.  They have three floors of displays plus the outside exhibits and monuments.  Week days they open at 1000, 1230 on Saturday and Sunday.  They are closed on federal holidays.

If you go on post using I-185 the route is well marked.  Note the speed limit on post.  There is a ZERO tolerance for speeding.  To get to the museum you have to go through a housing area where the limit is 25.  School zones are 15.  This morning I saw five different people stopped for speeding in less than two miles on post.

One display case has three rifles.  M16A2 SN#0001, M14 SN#0001 and a very early Garand that was presented to someone on the selection committee.

z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top