Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 2:56:42 PM EDT
Well, just had an interesting experience at the local grocery store.  Went there just to get some sour cream and a gallon of milk, but instead of my usual carry, Kimber Tactical Pro, I took my SA Champion.  Now I've been to this store lots of times before while carrying and never had any problems, but this time as I'm entering the store the detector goes off.

My immediate thought is 'Oh great, now this is going to turn into a very long night'.  About 3 employees were by the entrance when the alarm went off and the oldest turns around and says 'Well I don't see any merchandise on you so you must be carrying a gun'.  I reply "Yes I am, and my permit" to which she replies "Ok then" and they carry on about their business and turn off the alarm.  

Guess North Georgia hasn't been overrun by pansy ass liberals just yet
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you doing with an RFID chip in your gun? j/k

I didn't know that they had metal detectors in grocery stores now. I haven't had any problems in the stores around Cobb or Cherokee.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it wasn't the gun, maybe it was the tracking device in my head the aliens put there.  I've carried through the detector there multiple times and it's never gone off and have no idea why it would go off on this occassion.  Only things on me on this visit were the 1911, my wallet, and car keys, that's it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I set off the Wal-Mart detectors coming and going.  Have yet to figure out why but it happens about 80% of the time when I walk through.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Least they were cool about it!  I haven't set any off yet.  I hope I don't either.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
you need one of those all platick glock guns that you can get through airport security!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Those things at the store are what are typically called EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance)  towers, which as we all know react to tagged merchandise.  The problem is that they also react to some cell phones, keyless entry devices, garage door openers, recently purchased clothing etc...

I hate those damn things.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
why would a gun set them off?  it's not a metal detector is it?  it's an RFID thing.

I know my wal-mart wouldn't be nearly as cool about it.  thankfully it hasn't gone off any of the times I have been in there.

should I be worried it I weren't carrying a glock?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you need one of those all platick glock guns that you can get through airport security!

Notwithstanding the fact that I haven't yet found a Glock I can actually hold comfortably, I just don't like them.   Anyway, given the right amount of cash or bribes, you can get pretty much anything through any airport security.  Actually, strike that, there was a case a few days ago of somebody just bypassing the security at an airport altogether causing planes to be rechecked, etc.  They even checked the passengers on planes that had already departed when they arrived at their destination....somehow that part makes no sense to me.  

That said, my wife has a Springfield XD40 which I use for target practice.....it's the target
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Well you have good taste.

A few years ago when I was a state employed attorney, I set off the metal detector at the new Wal-mart in Rome. The woman asked do you have a cell phone? I said no, but I got this and swept back my jacket showing my badge and my 1911. Woman laughed and said sorry officer. I smiled and shook my head. (Didn't want anyone to say I was impersonating anyone).

It never set it off before or after. I've never had one go off on me anywhere else. Strange.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
They are NOT metal detectors.  And it is not likely your gun set it off unless you are carrying a ray gun that throws out electronic signals.  It was likely your keyless entry or someone's cell phone who was close by.

The reason they go off for things other than the tags that retailer's put in their merchandise is that the towers require a fair bit of calibration, somewhat regularly, to keep them picking up the frequency that they are supposed to.  When they fall out of calibration, the band that they detect widens to pick up other devices.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm in Ellijay

I have family there and find myself over there about once a month.  

Were you at the piggly-wiggly? lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope. Not mentioning any names, but it was the store at the traffic lights on 515 by the Burger King...McDonalds is on the opposite side of the road.  Don't forget to go shoot at Rich Mountain Traders 25yd indoor range....it's the only place to shoot around here if you don't have a good chunk of property.  I'm lucky as I have 5 acres. but been too hot to shoot outside recently.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I know where your talking about.

Rich Mtn Traders is where my relatives buy all their guns. They speak highly of the young man that owns the place and send a lot of money his way.

My grandma has 250 acres in Cherry Log.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, he is a nice guy....but I enjoy it when his wife is there more  Was in there the other day and he got a kick out of trying out my night vision scope.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I met Joseph at Righ Mtn. a few weeks ago. I came up there for the pistol class he held. He's a standup guy.

I wish Columbus had an indoor range as nice as his. As I understand it, he spent a lot of money on that range, and it shows.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
It's very nice and they recently started competitions as well.  Missed the raffle on the 50 BMG though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top