Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 7:28:00 PM EDT
Ok guys,
 I need a place to shoot!  SOON!  Like, TOMORROW SOON!

Looking for something 200-300 yds or more.

Atlanta area.

Here is a list of a couple places I'm considering, some of which would be possible for me to shoot tomorrow, (public, without paying hundreds to join), and some might be private, but I could still shoot tomorrow, as the once the dues are paid, that's all that is needed to join.

1.  South River Gun Club in Covington.  300yds (I think) but cost $375-ish to join for first time members.  I probably will eventually join this club, IF AND ONLY IF they are AR15 friendly, and don't give some some stupid "8 second Rule" in between shots.

2.  Fort Benning, GA.  I know NO details, but I'm going to look into it.  Probably a good place to shoot, but a little further than I want to drive, and probably costly.  The internet websites show this as being a public AND private range, so I'm not sure if this was a typo, OR if this is a public range, with a private club shooting there that you can choose to join if you wish.????  Not sure of cost.

3.  Finally there is Creekside Firing Range that I hear is run by an ex Ranger, so it's probably AR15 friendly.  70-ish miles from my house, but might be worth it, as I figure I will have to drive at least 50-75 to get to a range that I like, if not more.
 Don't know cost or yardage, but I will find out.

Can ANYONE help me with a range to shoot at?  Hell, I might even settle for 100yds TOMORROW, if I must.  I just want to SHOOT guys!  I really don't want to have to pay $300 to join a club, UNTIL I find the club I want to join for sure.  In other words, I'm just looking for somewhere that is "AR15" friendly to shoot at tomorrow (Saturday).

I live 20-30 min south of Atlanta, in Fayetteville, GA.  I know of a couple local ranges, but most are crap, and many are not AR15 friendly.
 Can ANYONE help here?  I would REALLY appreciate it...
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
South River is your best bet.  Only $75 to join and $300 yearly dues.  It is a business, not a club, so you don't have to be sponsored to get in.  They have a nice rifle range that goes out to 300.  Lots of action pits where you can shoot and move.  NO restrictions on how fast you can shoot.  Year round access unless they are holding a special match.  Downside, they hold Cowboy, IDPA and IPSC matches each month so on match days it can be hard to find a action pit that is open.  The entire club is closed for several weekends and one entire week each year for special matches.  Check the schedule and plan accordingly.  Altogether a nice facility.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Creekside is nice, $20 for the day, EBR and NFA friendly for sure.
Only hitch in your 'situation is that it's still work in progress.
Only open to 100yds for now, the 300/500's wont' be open until Spring/Early Summer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Creekside is open now seven days a week. I joined as a member and it is well run. It is still in progress but the ownwer works everyday on it. 300 is open now 5 days a week and 500 will be open in march. Need to check this place out before you decide on somewhere else. I think it will be the nicest range around that is ar friendly and well run.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Please inform the rest of us where Creekside is located. I have shot at South River and Ft Benning but this is the first I have heard of creekside.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Here ya go...   http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com

I'm still trying to find out what the cost to join is, as that link did not work for me earlier today on the website.

Also, with regards to Ft Benning.  I have heard it is a public range, and I have also heard it is NOT a public range.  Can anyone give me the low down on the range?  Last I checked, their website is either changed, or has been shut down.  Hopefully they just changed their website address.
 What is the cost to shoot at Ft Benning, and what is the distance you can shoot?  What is the criteria to join (if private)????  Any and all info appreciated...

BTW,

I'm still trying to figure out what EVERY link I post on this forum, is NEVER hot????  WTF???
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Because you have to use the link button on the reply screen. It's the second to last one under the text box.....OR you can use [url ]  www... [/url ] without the space between brackets to do it.

www.creeksidefiringrange.com
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The range at Ft. Benning is open to military or civilians, cost is $60.00 per year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The range at Ft. Benning is open to military or civilians, cost is $60.00 per year.

Is there a website for that place?  Are they EBR, NFA, suppressor friendly?

.50 cal?

Distance?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The Rifle and Pistol Club at Ft Benning recently moved to another range on post, I am not sure of the range depth, it used to be around 500 meters at the old range. Members can shoot most any kind of firearm, I don't think full-auto or .50 BMG is allowed. I have been a member since the late 1980's, I remember paying around $12.00 for a yearly membership back then.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Rifle and Pistol Club at Ft Benning recently moved to another range on post, I am not sure of the range depth, it used to be around 500 meters at the old range. Members can shoot most any kind of firearm, I don't think full-auto or .50 BMG is allowed. I have been a member since the late 1980's, I remember paying around $12.00 for a yearly membership back then.

The new Benning Rifle and Pistol Club range is Shelton Range, which is about 500 meters northeast of the old range (English Range) along Dixie Road. I was there only once since they moved, and it looks like most lanes are at least 200 meters, but the handout also mentions a 500-yard berm. They are definitely EBR-friendly, but since it is a military range there are some additional safety rules (from their handout: no quick draw from holsters, no unaimed/hip shooting, no full auto, no 50cal, no tracer ammo, no laser sights or laser boresighting devices, no unauthorized targets like milk jugs etc., firing towards back stop only).

They run tactical matches almost every month, and occasionally offer tactical classes.

Looks like their website is down, but if you are interested in joining, their e-mail is [email protected]. It is run mostly by veterans and they have many active-duty members. A great bunch, wish I had more time to shoot there. It is about 90 minutes from Fayetteville.

ETA: where did you end up going today?

If you want to take a look, here is the Google Earth placemark (copy and paste into Google Earth):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
<Placemark>
<name>Ft. Benning - Shelton Range (BRPC)</name>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-84.96046568818218</longitude>
<latitude>32.34757369272998</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<range>5900.129488579707</range>
<tilt>2.1394658616912e-011</tilt>
<heading>-0.07508639727695787</heading>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>root://styles#default</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>-84.96124048251427,32.34982751633197,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</kml>

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Are you from Cataula? I used to live in a 100-year-old house off of Highway 315
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in Cataula, in the Mulberry Grove area off of Hwy 315.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a website for that place?  Are they EBR, NFA, suppressor friendly?

.50 cal?

Distance?

EBR, yes - saw a guy there with a Steyr Aug yesterday.

NFA, silencers probably, full auto I don't think so, my truck's in the shop and I got my membership paperwork in it.  Their website used to be www.rpcrange.com

.50 BMG, nope.

The Rifle and Pistol Club at Shelton Range is a lot smaller than it was when they were at English Range.  Additionally, if there's units training on either range beside Shelton, it limits the fullbore centerfire lane to 100 yards.  They have markers at 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 I think, with steel at 250 and 400 or 500 yards.  There's a section to the far left for shooting clays, a covered awning for 7.62x39 and smaller caliber rifles to the right of that, then to the right of that are uncovered benches for larger/fullbore (.243, .260. .308, etc) centerfire stuff.  There's a couple lanes to the right of that for pistol only.  They do provide free targets, but you can't take them off post since they're government property.  You'll need your own stapler or tape to attach targets to backers, or they sell masking tape at a buck a roll.  Like cataula1 said, membership is $60/year for civvies, takes like five minutes to fill the little membership card out and pay.

If you're coming down from I-185, go through the main gate, then follow that all the way past the Commissary/PX on the left and at the end of the road, veer right onto Dixie Road.  Follow that all the way down, you'll start to come down a big hill, there'll be a little paintball play area to the right at the top of the hill as you're going down, and the AMU's Hook Range will be on the left as you reach the bottom of the hill.  Shelton Range is the third or fourth range on the left, building 8773.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top