Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2007 12:17:16 PM EDT
Ive added Kent hopps from England and Target hops from the left coast. Using a full boil method. Ill let yall know how it turns out.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
That tree is where I get my special herbs........
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I can volunteer my services if you need an outside opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I may need a few of those
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I will warn you now, DO NOT let 762BodyDropper have any. He'll drink your home dry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hahaha, yeah I always wondered why he uses so many........ periods... he ... is.... taking sips .... of his ..... latest ...... beer.
 Ive got the wort chiller running through it now. I wish it would hurry up and cool.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Here it is, 6gallon carboy with airlock attached.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats what I call beer, dark and delicious.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
mmm.......dark......beer.....

Screw you guys for judging my periods. But I happen to be an expert on dark and import beers, if you need a tester
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
NICE!!

I have a 6gal carboy full of blueberry wine right now.........just another 2 months till bottling and another 6-12 months before drinking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NICE!!

I have a 6gal carboy full of blueberry wine right now.........just another 2 months till bottling and another 6-12 months before drinking.

Where do you get your wine bottles?  My dad used to go down to the local bar and get empty bottles off of the owner when we made our homemade wine.  Something you may want to try is wine made from dandylion blossums, it kinds tastes like it smells... good.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
ok .... so back to the herbs  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Just an update, things have slowed down in the carboy. Its still fermenting just without the swirling motion or mass of bubbles. One more week till bottling.
Ive got another one ready to go after this one is bottled but it will take 6mos for it to be ready. Its a Super IPA
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#13]
One of these days I'll dig up my recipe for "Paintstripper IPA".  From boil to beer glass in a week.  Now dat's hoppy!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Professuinal beer drinker right here!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Reject! Where have you been!!! I wondered if this thread would bring you back from the wherever you were. IPA in one week???? Tell me its possible!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NICE!!

Where do you get your wine bottles?  My dad used to go down to the local bar and get empty bottles off of the owner when we made our homemade wine.  Something you may want to try is wine made from dandylion blossums, it kinds tastes like it smells... good.  

We bought wine and drank it!!  I LOVE muscadine (sp?) and blackberry wine. I have a bunch of empty bottles from muscadine wine from the Georgia Winery and the Tennessee Valley Winery. Good stuff. It took us a while to accumulate enough bottles tho.

I have seen the recipe for dandylion blossums many times. This is my first batch of wine so I may have to try it down the road some time. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Reject! Where have you been!!! I wondered if this thread would bring you back from the wherever you were. IPA in one week???? Tell me its possible!
I've been.... around.  I saw this thread grow, and have been waiting patiently in the shadows.

Yes, IPA (blurring the lines between IPA and Imperial/Double IPA, actually) is possible in one week.

The caveat: you'll need a cold (not cool, and not freezing) place, and you've got to keg - bottling just won't do!

After we get settled into our new digs, we'll have to see about having a brew party.  I've got to restock soon!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
So I need Lager cool?? Under 65? Ive got a double IPA waiting to go next.
 JDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Lager is going to be sub-55, ideally 48-50F.  You'd need about that temp.

Here's the process:

T-3 days: create yeast starter
T-2 days: step up yeast starter
T-1 days: step up yeast starter again
T-0 days: brew!  OG somewhere around 1.072-1.084.  You will use 1 pound of whole hops.  I like Chinook, because it feels like it's eating the enamel off your teeth.  After the wort is cooled, decant the starter and pitch that huge slurry of yeast.  Do not fuck around with an airlock, go straight for a blow-off tube - within 4 hours, the beer will be erupting from the carboy.
T+1 days: Fermentation continues, slowing down.
T+2 days: Fermentation nearly complete.
T+3 days: Move carboy to an area with temps to below 50F.  Fermentation is complete. now we crash the yeast and get them to drop out of solution.
T+4 days: Wait.
T+5 days: Wait some more.
T+6 days: Keep waiting.
T+7 days: Rack beer into a clean keg.  Force carbonate by shaking the crap out of the keg, rolling it around on the floor, etc.  Remember, the beer is already cold.  Let it sit for 4 hours to settle down a bit, then draw off the first half pint (mostly sediment, pitch it out).  Rinse the glass out, draw your first full pint, and enjoy!

I can get you a grain bill later today (hopefully), and could even help you convert it to extract - if you swing that way.

Best of all, use Day 7 to brew up a big barleywine and pitch it onto the dregs of the IPA - you've got trillions of live yeast cells that aren't too abused by alcohol or stress yet, so use them as a ginormous starter for a ginormous beer.

I really like to use smaller beers as starters for larger ones - start off with a low alcohol brown ale, then toss an IPA or porter wort on top of that, then finish the series with a barleywine or imperial stout.  3 batches of brew, one vial of yeast.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
mmm.......dark......beer.....

Screw you guys for judging my periods. But I happen to be an expert on dark and import beers, if you need a tester

I may not be an expert on dark and import beers, but I sure do have a lot of practice consuming beverages, and I'm always willing to improve my skills
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Here you go, ATLGA - extract version.  This was the first attempt - subsequent attempts have been all-grain and used only Chinook over a 90 minute boil.  I've got plenty of other recipes, too, just ask.

Paint Stripper IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

07-0  India Pale Ale, India Pale Ale

Min OG:  1.050   Max OG:  1.075
Min IBU:    40   Max IBU:    60
Min Clr:     8   Max Clr:    14  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         5.00    Wort Size (Gal):    5.00
Total Extract (Lbs):     10.50
Anticipated OG:          1.090    Plato:             21.66
Anticipated SRM:          12.5
Anticipated IBU:         340.5
Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:    6.45    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.070    SG          17.08  Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7     9.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Extra Light     England        1.046      3
 9.5     1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L                   America        1.034     60
 4.8     0.50 lbs. CaraMunich 48                 France         1.034     48

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1.70 oz.    Chinook                           Whole   11.90  82.9  90 min.
 1.30 oz.    Columbus                          Whole   13.10  69.8  90 min.
 2.00 oz.    Chinook                           Whole   11.90  88.6  60 min.
 2.10 oz.    Warrior                           Whole   15.00  59.8  30 min.
 0.90 oz.    Chinook                           Whole   11.90  20.3  30 min.
 2.10 oz.    Centennial                        Whole    9.50  12.4  5 min.
 0.90 oz.    Chinook                           Whole   11.90   6.6  5 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc                      Fining    20 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:           Atlanta, GA
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca):           7.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg):         1.0 ppm
Sodium(Na):            3.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4):          8.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl):          7.3 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3):    10.0 ppm

pH: 8.17
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Your a mad scientist!!!! Ive always wanted to start my own brewery.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Your a mad scientist!!!! Ive always wanted to start my own brewery.
There's no money in it.  Just keep brewing your homebrew, and enjoy the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
There are several local brewers that have made it pretty big. SweetWater has kicked some ass as far as I know. There IPA is damn good too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There are several local brewers that have made it pretty big. SweetWater has kicked some ass as far as I know. There IPA is damn good too.
And there's many more who have tanked.

If you want to brew, you need to develop your skills at it by homebrewing.  Then if you want brewing to be your job, find someone with deep pockets and no sense who wants to start a brewpub.  The microbrewery scene right now in the US is in a downward trend - the smaller guys can't compete, their investors want returns on their investments, and many are closing up shop.  The brewpubs, however, are still holding their own - provided they have that ever elusive combination of great beer, great food, all at prices people are willing to pay - see 5 Seasons, who just opened 5 Seasons North and plan on opening 5 Seasons Westside in about a year.

Trust me.  I've done the research.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Rockbottom in Buckhead offers micro brews @ $3.75 on tap, thats cheap for a premium anywhere much less Atlanta. I dont see as many people there drinking as you would expect with cheap beers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top