Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 6:27:19 PM EDT
Hello Everyone,

I have been expending large amounts of pyrotechnics, in order to deter the local goose population from my nesting on property, and my neighbors are beginning to get upset w/ me. So, I thought I would ask my friendly arfcom'ers if they have any suggestions for an effective yet quieter solution.

I was thinking that airsoft might work, and also provide me with a little gratification, but I haven't seen any airsoft weapons that were effective past 50 yards. I have an Beeman .177 pellet rifle but I really don't want to kill these walking Thanksgving dinners, but rather just let them know that their presence is unwanted. Does anybody know if they make rubber .177 caliber pellets? Or would a bean bag round from the ole 870 be just what the doctor ordered?

Any suggestions would be appreciated........well, except for the usual claymore suggestions.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Moat, trip wires, claymores.

Oh wait...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Wrist Rocket and pachinko balls.

ARH

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Moat, trip wires, claymores.

Oh wait...

A moat won't work because water is the current attractant. Trip wires, hmmm......an electric fence might work, but I want to do this w/ existing materials onhand. Claymores would be too loud.........and how would I explain the mushroom cloud of feathers over the neighborhood?

Quoted:
Wrist Rocket and pachinko balls.

If I see Bond at the local Wal-Mart, I will ask if he can loan me a set.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Paintball?

Chris
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
One pair of breeding swans will keep you duck and goose free.
The only hard part is getting the eggs away from them before you are overrun with swans.
But swans are cleaner and quieter than geese!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Paintball?

Chris

Now that's a good idea. I will have to look into a painball gun.

Quoted:
One pair of breeding swans will keep you duck and goose free.

The only problem w/ that solution is where do I find a pair of swans? Also, I like the ducks and want them to stay but the geese need to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
A large dog will deter them.  A large retriever will keep your freezer full.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be happy to come over and blast them off the face of the earth, but would have to wait till Sept. That seems to be the only final answer to eliminating sky carp. This might be a problem if you are in the city or a subdivision.

How many geese do you have? If there is enough to pose a health hazard there might be other options.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Your BB gun to the body wont really do anything to them.  Just dont hit them in the head.  I can speak first hand on that.  That will drop them down.  Hitting them in the body really doesn't do a whole lot.

I have blasted them at 30-40 yards with 3" mags out of a 12ga (BB and BBB shot) and it just ruffled a few feathers, but it only takes one pellet to the head to bring them down.

I would go for the paintball gun.  That would be hilarious to have some pink and blue spotted geese around.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would go for the paintball gun.  That would be hilarious to have some pink and blue spotted geese around.

That does sound like fun. Does anybody know if there is a law against "painting" geese?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That does sound like fun. Does anybody know if there is a law against "painting" geese?

It would probably fall under "Wildlife Harrassment" like spotlighting deer.
I'm sure someone else would call the police about a bunch of painted geese!

I did know a man who bred swans (that is how I knew they would run off geese),I'll see if I can find him (I think he moved away).
He sold them to golf courses,so you might call a local course and ask them if they know where to get a pair.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I shot an airsoft gun about a week ago.  I couldn't hit anything more than 10 yards away unless it was huge.  Those things are anything but accurate.

If you do the paintball option, please make sure you get a pic...haha

JS2071
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Put the paintballs in the freezer first.

you could try calling fish and game, or something along those lines and get a permit to kill them as pests. I knew someone with a cedar home and woodpeckers were tearing it up. They got a permit from the state to exterminate them as pests, and they are a protected species.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I like ar-wrench's idea of getting a big dog...possibly a retreiver.  You could throw a big arfcom goose cookout if you are successful.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top