Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 5:56:11 AM EDT
Any of you having problems with the newly manufactured AR mags?  Looking at the forums, looks like many are having feed problems with several of the new offerings.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only had feed problems with the older mags, not any of the new stuff I've tried. Well, I take that back. My shooting buddy bought a 10* round mag when he got his AR and that thing is persnickity. It's had problems left and right.

I've only used a couple of 30 round mags and never had any trouble but me, personally, I prefer the 20 round mags. I managed to pick up a handful at the last gun show I went to for about 4 bucks each and one of them, the steel one, causes me trouble. The 3 aluminum ones I've got work like a charm. No problems whatsoever. In fact, I was thinking of getting some of those fancy magpul thingers for them and hitting them with the polishing wheel. That'd be purty. I'll use the steel one as a backup weapon for when I run out of ammo. A nice whack on the head with that thing would, I'm sure, put a man down fairly quickly. It's a heavy son-of-a-gun.

* While it's called a 10 round mag, even says so on the package it came in, I'll be damned if you can fit more than 9 rounds in it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Any of you having problems with the newly manufactured AR mags?  Looking at the forums, looks like many are having feed problems with several of the new offerings.

Which manufacturers?

My recently purchased Center Industries 30 rounders work 100% fine. I used one of gsu2720's DSG's (I think it was DSG) and it worked fine, too.

I'm partial to the Center Industries ones. They all work fine in my Colts & LMT, so that's what I stick with. Oh, and all the Labelle mags that I've had since forever.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I know there have been several reports regarding problems with the nerw production D&H mags.

TD
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeha I have heard of some issues with the D & H  (DSG) mags.  The simple solution is filing the burrs off the underside of the feed lips.  I tested all of my DSG's the last time I went shooting and they all fed fine,   granted I only had enough ammo to fire 5 rounds out of each.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 30 mags from DSG and 1 from Brownells; they have all worked flawlessly.  10 of the DSGs have green followers and the rest have grey Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a couple of D & H mags that wouldn't feed after hitting the bolt release.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
All my mags are old Colt or Center, no problems with them. Thinking about getting a few twenties and thirties from Brownells.

Anyone tried the Brownells mags, fit, finish, and function?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've had a couple of D & H mags that wouldn't feed after hitting the bolt release.

I thought Colts always ran without a hitch.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought Colts always ran without a hitch.

They do with good mags.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#11]
dnr212,

I'm trying several of the Brownell's magazines and have found them to be fine. In fact I'm going to keep buying them even though there are cheaper mags out there. Price is not too bad with my discount anyway. It's supposed to be a mil contract mag.

SKIP
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok mag whores, where do I find more GI issue 20 rounders?  An A-1 doesn't look right with a 30 rounder sticking out of it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Test fired with at least 15 rounds through 8 of my 18 new CP mags last week and all worked great so far.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Y'all are confirming my  suspicions.  Many at arfcom don't know how to break in new equipment, or inspect what they have.

The stuff that forms in the aluminum annodizing process is extreamly hard (It is what some sand paper is made from).  If you have burred aluminum (from shear cutting) and then annodize it, the sharp edge will be rough and difficult to wear in.

I feel OK about ordering some of those mags now.

Oh, and go look in the troubleshooting thread.  Folks buy the cheapest, no-name parts and cobble together a rifle.  Then they wonder why the thing won't shoot.  I particularly like the "I don't have enough windage adjustment on my rifle, whats wrong?" threads.  I guess bore sighting went out with Nixon.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]

And those mag lips are abrasive to soft brass too.Maybe that would be a good use for steel cased ammo?

I don't think a lot of these guys were even born when Nixon was in office. I myself was still in high school when he resigned.
And most people don't even know what bore sighting is unless it involves a tool (and I'm not talking about my big vise that is mounted at almost eye level).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top