Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 7:57:43 PM EDT
I have the chance to go hog hunting with a friend and I'd like to know, what rifle should I bring and - is there a magazine restriction in Georgia?

I'm thinking of something light or, something powerful.

M1A w/ Aimpoint
M4gery w/ Aimpoint

-Or-

AR-15A2 20"
HK33E
AK (.223)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
For the piggies I prefer my Ruger 44mag carbine.

It's light, compact, powerful and easy to carry all day.

I know of no mag restrictions in GA.

TD
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Really depends on the type of hunting you are going to do. Running w/ dogs (take a lightweight rifle) or sitting on stand (take what ever). I would lean more to a 308 instead of a 223. I just like the stopping power of a larger caliber for hogs. They can get pretty mean and chase you down when cornered or when shot. Where are you going hog hunting? You can IM me with details if you wish.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You have taken the Hunter Safety course and have purchased a hunting license, right?  

No magazine restriction.  Get a copy of the hunting regs at Walmart or where you buy your license.  That's why I asked about the license - most hunters I know grab a copy of the regs when they buy their license.

+1 on depending on how you plan to hunt.  

Where can I take a hunter safety course?

No offense but, I know that's an oxymoron judging by some of the hunters I've seen in the past...

How do you all feel about these bullets in .308?

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=261581

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know why the DNR link above shows no classes?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
In the past two months......I've killed somewhere in the neighorhood of 2 dozen hogs of varying size. From 90 to 350 pounds. I've used several caliber rifles and handguns and all have taken the bacon. The .45 and 10mm with good hollowpoint ammo will have your bacon in under 100 yards if vitals are hit. The pig may be 75 yards into inpenetrable briars or the swamp.....but it will be dead. 44 mag rifle is a toss up. It may drop it right there or it may run about 25 yards if hit in the vitals. 50 beowulf gets the same results but it does leave a massive wound. If you shoot the pig in the head with the 50 Beo.....its the closest thing you can get to decapitation without a knife. And they do drop right there. Do not pass Go and DO NOT collect your $200 dead. Kinda messy once its all over. I've recently started carrying my 10.5" (yes its NFA) AR with awesome results. 55 grain winchester powerpoint soft points work very well and create a very nice wound. I've killed the last 10 with that round with about 10-15 yards max before folding up if not droped on spot. I dropped a 350 pound boar with one shot to the head 15 yards in front of me chasing a sow in heat. He never knew what hit him......lights out quick. I even shot one in the head with a .17 HMR with the same results. Head shots drop them fast but they are hard to take. Pigs don't sit still long enough to get a good sight picture. Most of the hunting I do is spot and stalk. Most shots are inside 50 yards. Sometimes we see them crossing the gas line about 300 yards in front of us but were never properly ballistically equipped.

Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong with caliber selection if you are capable of making a good shot. If you don't believe you are capable to make the proper shot....carry the bigger caliber. It is possible to get one to charge you.....but highly unlikely. If so.....move out of the way at the last minute and shoot it in the head as it passes by to make the turn if possible.

Have fun and be safe!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:It is possible to get one to charge you.....but highly unlikely. If so.....move out of the way at the last minute and shoot it in the head as it passes by to make the turn if possible.

Be sure to practice this move on all of the neighborhood dogs and cats before attempting this with a pissed off boar charging you!

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:It is possible to get one to charge you.....but highly unlikely. If so.....move out of the way at the last minute and shoot it in the head as it passes by to make the turn if possible.

Be sure to practice this move on all of the neighborhood dogs and cats before attempting this with a pissed off boar charging you!

Accountant

Are you familiar with human phobia?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone know why the DNR link above shows no classes?

Click on the state wide link.  

Thanks, looks like I got some driving to do to get to one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you even need a hunting license for a non-game animal?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
We don't do a lot of hunter safety courses in the spring and summer. Not much interest. Some places like Bass Pro do them year round for us. You can take the class on the net and then go to an short class if you can find one. If you have taken the class in another state it is good.

You have to have  a license to hunt hogs in GA.

If you buy a one or three day license you are not required to take the hunter safety course.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accountant

Are you familiar with human phobia?

I am now. Thank you for the homework assignment. That type of conditioning/training seems to be very popular with law enforcement from what I was able to find using a google search.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In the past two months......I've killed somewhere in the neighorhood of 2 dozen hogs of varying size. From 90 to 350 pounds. I've used several caliber rifles and handguns and all have taken the bacon. The .45 and 10mm with good hollowpoint ammo will have your bacon in under 100 yards if vitals are hit. The pig may be 75 yards into inpenetrable briars or the swamp.....but it will be dead. 44 mag rifle is a toss up. It may drop it right there or it may run about 25 yards if hit in the vitals. 50 beowulf gets the same results but it does leave a massive wound. If you shoot the pig in the head with the 50 Beo.....its the closest thing you can get to decapitation without a knife. And they do drop right there. Do not pass Go and DO NOT collect your $200 dead. Kinda messy once its all over. I've recently started carrying my 10.5" (yes its NFA) AR with awesome results. 55 grain winchester powerpoint soft points work very well and create a very nice wound. I've killed the last 10 with that round with about 10-15 yards max before folding up if not droped on spot. I dropped a 350 pound boar with one shot to the head 15 yards in front of me chasing a sow in heat. He never knew what hit him......lights out quick. I even shot one in the head with a .17 HMR with the same results. Head shots drop them fast but they are hard to take. Pigs don't sit still long enough to get a good sight picture. Most of the hunting I do is spot and stalk. Most shots are inside 50 yards. Sometimes we see them crossing the gas line about 300 yards in front of us but were never properly ballistically equipped.

Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong with caliber selection if you are capable of making a good shot. If you don't believe you are capable to make the proper shot....carry the bigger caliber. It is possible to get one to charge you.....but highly unlikely. If so.....move out of the way at the last minute and shoot it in the head as it passes by to make the turn if possible.

Have fun and be safe!

Reading stuff like that makes me want to pick the M4...

What kind of hunting bullets do I need?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun and be safe!

Reading stuff like that makes me want to pick the M4...

I was thinking more of a pink cape and a sword.  Oy mi dios...ayayay.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope to eventually get to shoot some hogs and yotes with my 6.8.  I have some Barnes TSX bullets that should do the biz on hogs and some Hornady Vmax for de dogs.

If anybody else is thinking of a 6.8 don't waste your time with a 20" bbl. The velocity increase over the 16" is less than 100 fps.  Even a 10.5" bbl will normally get 2400 fps with good loads [ not current Rem factory.  Very weak ].

rj
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 16" barrel coming for my MRP in 6.8. Should be here any day and I plan on trying it out. I beleive it will work very well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Bullitt, you gotta let me get some of that stuff man... When are you going again?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I go every day. My schedule is extremely flexible. Sometimes I just walk to the feeder to watch them if they are there,and sometimes I walk to the swamps to chase them. Sometimes I go at night with the NVG's looking for the big ones. Its almost time to quit hunting them......too many snakes starting to show up and too hot. They won't be any good to eat. If you can be available next week,say Tuesday or Wednesday morning......maybe we can get together and put one down. See what the 74 will do. I'd believe it will be devestating considering the damage I see with the .223

The 5.45 is said to be much more lethal than the 5.56.

We can don our capes and let them charge us.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Let me check my work schedule. I dont have any 5.45 ammo as of yet, It is hard to come by. But I do have some for the .308, I may run out and pick some 5.45 up today though. I have having a gun with NO ammo. its like having a knife
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I go every day. My schedule is extremely flexible. Sometimes I just walk to the feeder to watch them if they are there,and sometimes I walk to the swamps to chase them. Sometimes I go at night with the NVG's looking for the big ones. Its almost time to quit hunting them......too many snakes starting to show up and too hot. They won't be any good to eat. If you can be available next week,say Tuesday or Wednesday morning......maybe we can get together and put one down. See what the 74 will do. I'd believe it will be devestating considering the damage I see with the .223

The 5.45 is said to be much more lethal than the 5.56.

We can don our capes and let them charge us.

What kind of bullets do you recommend in 5.56 in a M4gery for hog hunting?

I'm going to use .308...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#24]
We went this afternoon and ended up catching a little piglet. Last month we killed their momma and they ran off into the swamp and we chased them. There were five of them and today we saw them again on the way into the swamp and gave chase. We were able to corner a baby black boar and jumped on him. Mean little shit but we got him. We put him in our trap and played with him for a little while.....fed him some corn and let him rejoin his little brothers and sisters again. We have been seeing the piglets pretty regular. They started out real small.....maybe two pounds and now they're about 7-10 a piece. There are three red ones with black stripes,one black and one gray. They grow fast. I was really surprised that they have survived without adult protection,but they are alive and thriving. And totally solo. They are always by themselves when we see them. When we caught the black one,he squealed bloody murder for about two minutes solid. We had hoped it would draw some of the other pigs out of the swamp to his rescue. Unfortunately none came to his aid. All in all it was a fun afternoon. We did end up jumping three of decent size in the swamp but underbrush and snakes are getting thicker by the day. A shot was not possible nor was good chase.

HKShooter..........308 is an excellent choice if you are not doing alot of walking as we do. I prefer my 10.5" AR because it is compact,light,and does an excellent job of stopping the bacon. I use Winchester Silver Box 55gr. power point plus
Today I carried a mag loaded with the new GA Arms 60gr. Hornady VMax bullet to give it a try but a shot was not possible.

We usually walk a round trip of about 3-5 miles when we go into the swamp and back out. I carry my 50 beo a good bit as well. Especially at night since it has the laser right now. You're gonna have a good time any way you go. Maybe you'll get a charge to really get the adrenaline pumping.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
If I really get into hunting, I'll have an excuse to buy another gun...

I'm thinking of a SOCOM.

For those who don't know, it's a short barreled .308 M1A...

ETA:

Now that you mention your SBR, I could use my HK53 .223 SBR when it gets done...

It will be fairly light, do you think a 55gr bullet from around an 8" barrel will get the job done?

I can't use anything heavier than that without spending more money for internal parts...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Here are a few from the trail cams in the last few days. Date is the first number in the left corner, March 31. April 2 & 3, 2006.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/longrange2006/Hog2040106.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/longrange2006/Hogs.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/longrange2006/NewCrop.jpg
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:34:43 AM EDT
[#27]
That's some good size porkers there on film. Here piggy, piggy!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like a bunch of feral piggies. Where are these located?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#29]
See I need to find out where the hogs are,
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Looks like a bunch of feral piggies.

Not to be picky, but all pigs (except javalinas) are feral. OK, so I'm being picky.hy.gif
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I decided to go with the AR-15 since we will be doing a lot of walking...

Can I just use 55gr FMJ or do I need something special?

I'm shooting a Bushmaster 16"...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]
You really need a good soft point bullet. FMJ's will just poke little holes. Winchester 55gr. power points work great,
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You really need a good soft point bullet. FMJ's will just poke little holes. Winchester 55gr. power points work great,

Is there anywhere I can find them in Georgia?

Most retailers seem to be out of that specific brand and weight of soft points...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there anywhere I can find them in Georgia?

Most retailers seem to be out of that specific brand and weight of soft points...

-Bump-

Will any 55gr soft-point do?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#35]
YES.....any soft point bullet or expanding/fragmenting round is better than FMJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top