Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 10:40:52 AM EDT
I heard over the past couple of nights on the radio that the illegals were going to skip work and play today to protest some new legislation going on in the state house. Any real effects from this going on? I'm through ATL every night, thought I'd celebrate with a burrito or something if I could find someone to sell it too me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Traffic was light this morning, but I have been in my cube all day.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Well.....I've got 33 crews and 2 are working today. All the neighborhoods that I work in are dead. From what I hear....the carpet and textile mills in Dalton are all shutdown due to the walk out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a bunch of hispanics congregating at a supermarket yesterday. There were about 30-40 in one big group.

I thought " do illegal aliens have the right to peacefully assemble? OF COURSE NOT! You have to be a CITIZEN to have those rights.

So I envisioned driving through them yelling "Remember the Alamo!", but my ice cream would have melted while I was being detained by the po-po.

(Not really. I didn't have ice cream. I just pulled my SIG closer to me like a security blanket and drove on.)

Oh, BTW, my company is building a new gaurdshack and hispanos are doing the labor. None were working today. yesterday there were about 20.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]

I saw a bunch of hispanics congregating at a supermarket yesterday. There were about 30-40 in one big group.

I thought " do illegal aliens have the right to peacefully assemble? OF COURSE NOT! You have to be a CITIZEN to have those rights.

So I envisioned driving through them yelling "Remember the Alamo!", but my ice cream would have melted while I was being detained by the po-po.

(Not really. I didn't have ice cream. I just pulled my SIG closer to me like a security blanket and drove on.)

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't been out around hee yet today, got in from work and crashed all day, Friday's are usually long and normally rest. I understood this to be statewide, but would expect most of the action in the ATL area.

Oh well, I guess the economy didn't come to a screaching halt. I think if I had someone hired who walked out today though wouldn't have a door tp walk back into tomorrow or Monday.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The legislation on a Federal Goverment level is actualy right on the fense.  Its probably going to end up being a visitors work visa or something like that.  Either way, it seems no one in Congress can decide what they want to do and there are about 30 different proposals out there right now for Immigration Reform.  We'll see what happens with it soon, my guess is nothing with Immigration will actualy change.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The legislation on a Federal Goverment level is actualy right on the fense.    Either way, it seems no one in Congress can decide what they want to do and there are about 30 different proposals out there right now for Immigration Reform.  We'll see what happens with it soon, my guess is nothing with Immigration will actualy change.

Change "Immigration" with "Tax" (or about anything) and you have the answer to why nothing gets done.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I was working at a Ruby Collins job site in downtown today they had full crews working today, but the foremans told them that if they were not at work today then not to bother to come back on Monday.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the Hispanic customers were not present.  Been a very slow day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Gonna be alot of guys without jobs come Monday morning
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow if this keeps up Mexico is gonna starve.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Gonna be alot of guys without jobs come Monday morning

The only problem with firing them is that when you hire the replacements,you may be hiring the strikers that someone else let go just as you did.

The only way you could make your point is to not hire anyone who could possibly be an illegal worker for a month or so.
Of course,some bleeding heart liberal lawyer (or just a greedy one) would acuse you of discrimination based on race if you did that.
But the house builders and other construction people would be in a world of hurt if they couldn't replace the workers pronto,and might have to pay legal workers and citizens more (which would mean they might have a hard time making the note at the bank for the construction loan AND for the new Humvee in the driveway).

Funny thing is,I know a plumber who is Mexican and has been here for years.I think his parents imigrated with him when he was a child.
About 10-12 years ago (when a lot of them first started coming here to work),I asked him why he didn't hire any Mexicans to work for him.
He told me he was worried about getting in trouble with the IRS if they turned out to be illegals.
Don't know if he still feels the same way,or if that was even true when he said it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top