Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 7:26:33 PM EDT
i have a ten year old speeding ticket in Georgia and i live in FL.
and it is stopping me from getting my concealed weapons permit.

if any one here is a lawyer or has a name and number a a lawyer that can help me, it would be much appreciated.

the ticket was issued in Clayton County.

thanks timm667
                                                                                         [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
What County was the ticket issued in. You will want to get a lawyer from that County if posible. If it is from one of the rural Counties the "Good 'ol boy network" still applies most of the time. It's good to have a lawyer who knows and plays golf with the judges there.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
A speeding ticket is keeping you from getting your permit?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A speeding ticket is keeping you from getting your permit?

Most likely an outstanding bench warrant for no-show on the citation.

As an added bonus, if he gets stopped in Ga. before he gets this resolved, he gets booked into the Graybar Hotel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]
oops forgot to say the ticket was issued in Clayton County

ya it is stopping me from passing the back ground check in FL.
i cant even buy a gun from a FFL dealer.
which is weird because i passed once got a rifle and have tried
to buy two more time and failed. when i contested it came back
an issue in Clayton County Georgia.

when i looked into it i had a ticket from ten years ago
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If it is just a speeding ticket I wouldn't waste the money on a lawyer. I would contact the court it was issued in in Clayton County and ask them how it can be resolve.  Keep in mind that Clayton is a LARGE county and it might not be as simple as if it were a small rurual county. I am suprised that they did not have your driver's license suspended. That is usually the first thing that is done.

It might be possible that the whole thing can be handled by mail.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Had the exact same problem many years ago with clayton county.

Unfortuantly I didn't realize it until I got stopped one night and got a free taxi ride.

1. Call them and say hey I found this old ticket that never got handled.

2. Offer to resolve the issue. If possible talk to a judge. I've learned over the years not to give a judge an excuse. Explain what happened but make sure you take the blame for the problem.

Most times this can be handled like men instead of involving the Po po. I was able to get the bench warrent dropped and my bail back by taking blame for not showing for court.

I ALSO got lucky in the fact that the cop that issued the ticket no longer worked for the county and they dropped the speeding ticket when I plead not guilty.

james.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
the afternoon I spent on the phone to
Clayton county I got bumped around from department to department and nobody
could tell me what to do. there best guess was to come to Georgia  and turn
my self in, I live in south FL I'm not coming to Georgia. (hopefully)

I wounded if there is a statue of limitations on something like this or
not?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you need to talk to an area laywer at this point.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

not?

I believe that the statute of limitations only applies if you have NOT been charged. For example, you were speeding ten years ago, and no one bothered to pull you over. They likely can not charge you well after the event. Also, the last I heard, there was a two year statute of limitations on misdemeanors in Georgia. Felonies were four years. Capital crimes I believe are seven years, with the exception of murder, which has no statute of limitations.

However, once you are charged, the statute of limitations is essentially put on hold IF you run, don't show up as ordered, etc. I believe it must be shown that you tried to resolve the situation and were ignored in order to use the statute of limitations.

NOT A LAWYER HERE, JUST TELLING YOU WHAT I THINK IS THE CASE.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

not?

Don't count on it.  Like I said above, there is probably an outstanding warrant for your arrest based on your no-show on the ticket.

If you are driving in georgia, or If you are changing planes at the Atlanta Airport (Georgia) and you get your ID run for whatever reason (latest Homeland Security scare, DUI checkpoint, etc.), you could go directly to jail, especially on a weekend.

It will cost some bucks at this point, and the sooner you take care of it, the better.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
ya i definitely have a warrant, thats whats keeping me from passing a background check.

maybe someone could post or email me the name and number of an attorney that may deal with something like this in the Clayton county area and i will give them a call.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Not cheap, but has a good reputation.

www.georgiacriminaldefense.com/

They will probably do a telephone consultation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top