Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 4:16:37 PM EDT
For over a year I have been searching for a large Labrador Retriever, Black or Choc.  I wanted a partially trained male dog 18 mos to 2 years old.  Good disposition and good looks.

I found a dog today, he is snoozing at my feet right now.

He is what I call an "American Lab" in that he is long legged and long/lean bodied as compared the the Brittish short and squatty dogs.

He is smart, obedient, and gentle.  Rides great in the truck and is great in the house.  Walks great on a leash, and comes when I call.  This dog seemed to be the perfect dog to replace my hunter that has gone to the Rainbow Bridge.

Except............

The damned cur won't retrieve!  wtf?

My Bad.  I have never in my life seen a Lab that wouldn't hurt himself to try to retrieve something I threw for him.  I throw a ball or a dummy and he just looks at me and takes a wizz.

I feel like I just got the rare rifle I always wanted and just found out the bolt is welded to the receiver.

Maybe he will make a good drinking buddy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
 That analogy is just too damned funny! Maybe he will come around... Probably never had anyone play fetch with him is all. If he's true Lab, once he catches on you won't get any rest from throwing things for him.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran in to a similar issue with my dog. She likes to chase and hunt, but is gun shy as could be. One of the first times I tried to exposed her to guns I was shooting a 10/22 and she took off to about 1-2 miles in the woods. It took a half hour to find her.

Maybe your lab just needs some more exposure to it, or to be around some other labs that will retrieve , so that it know what it's supposed to do.

I once had a poodle that couldn't swim. He loved the water but swam like a brick. He finally learned to swim when he was around 8 years old.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thread is worthless with out pics.

SHOW THE LABBIE...

Buzz.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Maybe your lab just needs some more exposure to it, or to be around some other labs that will retrieve , so that it know what it's supposed to do.  

Actually, a friend offered me his Canadian Field Champion lab.  The dog supposedly does it all, BTDT and everything.  Thing is, he is almost 9 years old, and I didn't want to get him, hunt him a year, then watch him die for 4 years.

Perhaps I could borrow him for a month or two?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a similar problem with a vizsla

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
    Funny stuff.  Hope your doing well . And your NEW dog.   LOL... WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My black lab will retrieve.......and then shred whatever it is to pieces.  Needless to say, I don't get to read the paper that often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top