Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:42:27 PM EDT
I checked the ammo forum, jeez seems that all decent stuff is over $200 bucks Per K now - any input fellas? I need to make an ammo purchase soon, getting low.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
One good reason why I'm considering getting a 9mm AR on my next AR purchase instead of a .223.  Can still buy WWB at Wally World for $10.44 per 100 or something like that.  Any thoughts on having a 9mm AR before getting another .223?  Good idea or not?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get Georgia Arms canned heat, 1000 rounds for about $180 and it ain't surplus.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolf
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I would never put Wolf crap through an AR.  AK maybe, but not an AR
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Larry how does that stuff run through your AR, I used a can of it a couple years ago, not very impressed, seemed weak.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey Larry how does that stuff run through your AR, I used a can of it a couple years ago, not very impressed, seemed weak.

Let's put it this way.  I use their ammo exclusivley for not only plinking, but daily carry and home defense.  I have no qualms about using their ammo.  It's the same ammo they provide to the state government.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Its reloaded though, i remember some dented cases. Speed is right up there though I seem to remember reading their FPS is a couple hundred less than Q - Mark I dont know what im looking for, guess im wishing prices were what they used to be.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Its reloaded though, i remember some dented cases. Speed is right up there though I seem to remember reading their FPS is a couple hundred less than Q - Mark I dont know what im looking for, guess im wishing prices were what they used to be.

If you ever encounter a defective round or a dented round, they will replace it.  They are good people out there in Villa Rica.

I have seen dented rounds in boxes of brand new Cor-Bon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
There ammo is as good as any other I've tried.  I've shot as much as 3k 223 rounds at a week long class, not one problem.  I carry their ammo as duty ammo everyday.  Have seen some pistol rounds not go off in other peoples guns but I've been fortunate.  I also understand that they'll make it good if you do have a malfunction.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, sounds good to me. Do you guys just buy it at the guns shows or go pick it up?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would never put Wolf crap through an AR.  AK maybe, but not an AR

More for the rest of us!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I dunno man, using Wolfe in an AR is like puting 87 grade gas through a ferrari
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, sounds good to me. Do you guys just buy it at the guns shows or go pick it up?

I have picked it up at gun shows and occassionally gone out there, but mostly I order it over the phone and have it shipped.  

They are in Villa Rica.  If you are on that side of town, it is easy to go pick up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]
How much is shipping usually? I remember their staff is pretty friendly at the shows, i used to purchase all my pistol ammo from them. -- ya know what I think I became an ammo snob..  " My name is ATLGA and im an ammo snob " im on my road to recovery already Larry
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How much is shipping usually? I remember their staff is pretty friendly at the shows, i used to purchase all my pistol ammo from them. -- ya know what I think I became an ammo snob..  " My name is ATLGA and im an ammo snob " im on my road to recovery already Larry

fyi they are in villa rica and have a retail showroom/shop if you can get out there during the week.  Sometimes you can call ahead and pickup and order on saturdays, but only if someone will be there, hit or miss.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Be careful shooting reloads, their use voids ALL manufacturer's warranties.

I have had bad experiences with Ga. Arms products.

You are much better off with WWB IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

direct input from personal experience always appreciated.  please provide detail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

direct input from personal experience always appreciated.  please provide detail.

I have had ZERO problems with Georgia Arms ammo.  I have been told by several firearms manufacturers that they would not void the warranty using Georgia Arms ammo.

I have been using their ammo for 10 years, exclusively the last 5 or so years.  As has already been mentioned, IF you do have a problem, they will make good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I just received 700 rounds of mixed calibers, the shipping was $23.00.  The box probably weighed 25 or 30 pounds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]
larryg,

as far as loaded ammo goes, i have used ga arms stuff almost exclusively for a couple of years too.

Not one problem, nor have i ever spoken to anytone who has had a problem  themselves other than 1 person:
the canned heat didn't reliably feed his bushmaster pullpup.   later he had problems with other makes of ammo, sent it in to bushmaster. when it returned, it gobbled up everything including the canned heat he thought was the problem.  turns out- not ga arms issue at all.

i am curious exactly what the problems were that were referenced above.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Im not worried about warrenty issues since the ARs I shoot the most I put together and that prob voided any parts warrenty anyway - I think ill give that canned heat a try again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sold me 45acp ammo with overtrimmed cases which resulted in severe headspace issues.  They refused to make good on the crappy reloads they sold me, so I threw the junk in the trash.

Once again, they are RELOADS, and they don't have a clue as to the history of the bulk brass they buy.

When they say their ammo is "factory loaded" it is put together in the back room by Bubba. And he mingt be loaded.

You have a $1,000 rifle and you want to save 2 cents a round by shooting a stranger's reloads?  Knock yourself out.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I dunno man, using Wolfe in an AR is like puting 87 grade gas through a ferrari

And how did you come to this brilliant conclusion?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sold me 45acp ammo with overtrimmed cases which resulted in severe headspace issues.  They refused to make good on the crappy reloads they sold me, so I threw the junk in the trash.

Once again, they are RELOADS, and they don't have a clue as to the history of the bulk brass they buy.

When they say their ammo is "factory loaded" it is put together in the back room by Bubba. And he mingt be loaded.

You have a $1,000 rifle and you want to save 2 cents a round by shooting a stranger's reloads?  Knock yourself out.

They refused to make good?  That's a first.

Apparently you have never visited their plant.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The way they treated me, had I visited their plant, I probably would have made the 6 o'clock news.

2 things I NEVER forget, 1 is a favor, the other is a screwing.  I will never forget these guys, and they did me no favor.

If their product works for you, good.  I am just posting my experience.  I stand to make not a cent one way or another no matter where everyone buys their ammo.  

I am sure everyone here knows that real milsurp M193 is still available for about $130 a thousand delivered, right?  And Real military M2ball sealed in the can 30-06 is available for $240 a thousand delivered.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
130 bucks?? where?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
130 bucks?? where?

[Yoda]It is weak, his search fu is, no?[/Yoda]

If you buy on the retail market, you pay retail.  Think wholesale.  Ever been to Knob Creek?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way they treated me, had I visited their plant, I probably would have made the 6 o'clock news.

2 things I NEVER forget, 1 is a favor, the other is a screwing.  I will never forget these guys, and they did me no favor.

If their product works for you, good.  I am just posting my experience.  I stand to make not a cent one way or another no matter where everyone buys their ammo.  

I am sure everyone here knows that real milsurp M193 is still available for about $130 a thousand delivered, right?  And Real military M2ball sealed in the can 30-06 is available for $240 a thousand delivered.

You posted this:

You have a $1,000 rifle and you want to save 2 cents a round by shooting a stranger's reloads? Knock yourself out.

And now you are advocating using milsurp in a $1000 rifle????????  Yeah, right.

I have even had problems with milsurp in my USGI Garands.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You posted this:

You have a $1,000 rifle and you want to save 2 cents a round by shooting a stranger's reloads? Knock yourself out.

And now you are advocating using milsurp in a $1000 rifle????????  Yeah, right.

I have even had problems with milsurp in my USGI Garands.

My Colt Ar15 is designed to shoot M193.  I can buy M193 as mentioned above. I will not shoot reloads in a rifle that has magnum chamber pressures with an unsupported case head.  Virgin milspec brass can handle it: reloads, who knows?  Comparing apples to rotten oranges here.  Virgin military brass to reloads, not even the same language.

Like I said, if it works for you, I am very happy for both of you.  And, yes, military surplus has its own unique group of problems.  "There is a reason it is surplus" to quote Troy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like it left a mark.

With any loaded ammo i purchase I drop a few of each lot into a dillon case cage.  Never seen anything the least bit out of spec with GA Arms- 223, 9mm, 44mag, 44 special & 45 acp.   For that matter, never had any issue with milsurp 223 either.   Only ammo i have ever had a problem with has been my own reloads, which is why i have the case guages in the first place.

GA Arms is a pretty good sized operation that sells ammo to the public via Gunshows etc as a side business.   Direct sales to PDs is primary business line.

First hand experience, good or bad, is good to know, so thanks for the details.    Personally, I'll still buy from them.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm a new WOLF convert.

I heard it was under powered.....

So I chrono'd it against UMC / AE, and it ran the same.

I heard it was not accurate.....

So I shot a few 1-1.5" groups, and then put some rounds in an IDPA target at @ 200 yards off hand.  It's not match grade, but it will do the job.

I heard it would cause your gun to jam.....

So I dumped three mags as fast as I could pull the trigger.  I shot WOLF in a Tactical Rilfe Match.  I shot WOLF in the rain.  I'm happy to report ABSOLUTELY no malfunctions.

So then I looked at the price.....

and I placed an order with Sportsmans Guide for 3K rounds @ $359 delivered.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I looked up a bunch of wholesale places online they all require an FFL and a store front for ammo or firearm purchses. I wish that new Wolf ammo was more along the lines of their steel case stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top