Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 11:40:33 AM EDT
I used to live next door to these guys when I was a teenager and knew them very well from Woodward Academy and the 'early' years of UGA. Man, some of the stories I could tell........

wsbradio.com/news/022306talmadge8a.html

Talmadge Grandson Surrenders
JONESBORO, Ga. (AP) The grandson and great-grandson of two well-known Georgia politicians has turned himself in to face accusations that he pistol-whipped a pizza delivery man.

Herman Talmadge III grandson of the late U.S. Sen. Herman Talmadge and great-grandson of four-time Georgia Gov. Eugene Talmadge was booked Wednesday evening into the Clayton County Jail.

Deputy Eugene Nobles confirmed that Talmadge, 39, remained in jail Thursday morning. Talmadge faces multiple charges, including aggravated assault and kidnapping.

The delivery man, Maury Seitel, told police he was attacked the night of Feb. 4 by a man whom police later identified as Talmadge.

Seitel, 20, told police he and a colleague drove down Talmadge Road in Hampton to deliver a pizza. Police said the two ended up on a dirt road, saw ``no trespassing'' signs and turned around, and a vehicle followed the two to a grocery store.

Seitel told police the driver of the vehicle was armed with a revolver and opened Seitel's car door. He told him to get out and struck him in the head with the gun.

Seitel said he fell to the ground, and the man kept beating him. Seitel was treated at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta and released.

Clayton County Assistant Police Chief Jeff Turner says Talmadge was identified through a photo lineup.

Talmadge waged an unsuccessful bid for Henry County Commission chairman in 2004.

This is the same Herman Talmadge that, as a freshman or sophmore at UGA in the late 80s, was caught breaking into a professor's office trying to steal a final exam and who, a few months later, shot a girl who was waiting for a bus in the face at point blank range with a paintball gun which did major facial damage.  

What a tool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
He's just misunderstood.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He's just misunderstood.

He sounds like a latter day Caligula.

Give him a wide berth and shoot if approached.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon Doug, tell 'em a few of the stories.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

hehehehe - it would be like any of my other stories; no one would believe me!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean some of them were TRUE?  Astounding!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean some of them were TRUE?  Astounding!!!

No, I mean ALL of them were true. Unbelievable, but true.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Dying to hear the folklore...  I'm all ears

Me and buddies did some stupid stuff in the UGA-years but not something drastic like breaking into office or shooting paintball at an innocent bystander.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Doug's a good story teller.  Have to get him to come to the 3/11 shoot and Hooters after that.  Maybe peer pressure will work.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#9]
There is more to the story.

The "pizza delivery guy" was looting Talmadge's property, no delivery was sent to the area that night.

The "victim" is now facing charges for false police report.

Talmadge did exactly what many on the board advocate when confronting a thief, he DREW DOWN!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
From the Henry County paper:

In fact, attorney Keith Martin said Seitel and the other man had admitted to police that they were on the property “treasure hunting.”

“They intimated that if they saw something they liked they were inclined to stop and pick it up,” Martin said.

On the night of the incident, Frey said, Talmadge heard a commotion near the small cabin where he stays on the family’s 2,600 acre estate near Lovejoy. He went outside and saw the truck passing the cabin going from the interior of the property and heading back toward the main house and the exit nearly a mile away.

The entrance to the Talmadge farm is marked by a gate and on Friday there were bright yellow “No Trespassing” signs posted near the gate and on several trees next to the road going into the property. That road splits at one point, with a turn to the right leading to an old ham processing plant and the turn to the left going toward the main house.

The narrow but paved road, which is not illuminated according to Frey, leads to the main house that is about six-tenths of a mile from U.S. Highway 19/41. From there the road dwindles to a rutted dirt road for some distance before getting to Talmadge’s cabin.

Talmadge’s father, Herman Eugene Talmadge, Jr., lives in the main house.

Frey said the family has had to contend constantly with trespassers and thieves who have stripped the copper wiring from the old ham factory. They have confronted armed poachers on their land hunting deer."

This is quite different from the first accounts.........
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess the Talmadge's still have influence.  

If the latest story is the truth, then good for him.  Hopefully people will think twice before trespassing.  A gate at the entrance to their property might help too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If the latest is true, then I guess the two would-be 'victims' obviously don't know the area, the family, or their past. Even if it is true, then I still don't think following the guy off the property and 'pistol whipping' him was either justified, legal, or smart. Following them, getting the license plate number and turning the matter over to the local authorities would have been sufficent. It doesn't sound like anyone was in danger and I never heard whether anything was actually taken. If the former was true and no one was in danger, then the latter really doesn't matter (legally).

You would have to know the 'clan'. Trust me on that one.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for self-defense but I'm not for taking the law into your own hands. Some people think they are above the law. Others think they ARE the law.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know the family, and wasn't there.  It sounds like the truth hasn't come out completely yet.

I hate thieves and poachers.  Have had to deal with both, and have been known to give chase a time or two.

For petty theft, theft by taking, and poaching, the law won't do shit.  To me, it is understandable for the situation to develop as Talmadge describes, especially if it is a pattern of thefts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to hear the REAL story... wait, please only spin out a good yarn and I'll be just as happy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
hummmm, seems there is 'ANOTHER' twist:

www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/politics/13961197.htm

Talmadge released on bond, alleged victim to face charges
Posted on Sat, Feb. 25, 2006

Associated Press

JONESBORO, Ga. - The grandson and great-grandson of two well-known Georgia politicians has been released from jail on bond after turning himself in to face charges he pistol-whipped a pizza delivery man.

Meanwhile, the delivery man is expected to be charged with giving false information to police, Clayton County Police Maj. Tim Robinson said.

Herman Talmadge III - grandson of the late U.S. Sen. Herman Talmadge and great-grandson of four-time Georgia Gov. Eugene Talmadge - was released Friday on $168,000 bond. Talmadge turned himself in to police Wednesday night.

Maury Seitel, 20, told police he and a colleague were driving down a road one night earlier this month to deliver a pizza. Police said the two ended up on a dirt road, saw "no trespassing" signs and turned around, and a vehicle followed the two to a grocery store.

Seitel told police the driver of the vehicle was armed with a revolver and opened Seitel's car door and began hitting him with the gun.

But on Friday, Robinson said investigators have learned that some of the information in Seitel's statement was not true. He and the other person will be charged with giving false information to police and obstruction, Robinson said. Robinson said he did not have the specifics of what information was false.

Talmadge's attorneys have said he was suffering from acute mania when the incident took place.

Talmadge's father, 62-year-old Herman Talmadge Jr., spent a night in jail in December after allegedly firing gunshots at someone who was on his property. He was charged with disorderly conduct, obstructing an officer and a pistol permit violation. He was released the next day.

Attorneys for Talmadge III said Friday that the family has had problems with poachers and thieves sneaking onto the family's property near Lovejoy.

www.wsbtv.com/news/7403711/detail.html

Attorney: Talmadge Was Suffering From Mental Illness
POSTED: 12:30 pm EST February 24, 2006

JONESBORO -- An attorney says the grandson and great-grandson of two well-known Georgia politicians was suffering from mental illness when he was accused of pistol-whipping a pizza delivery man.

Herman Talmadge, III -- grandson of the late U.S. Senator Herman Talmadge and great-grandson of four-time Georgia Governor Eugene Talmadge -- faces several charges in the incident on February 4th -- including aggravated assault and kidnapping.

But Talmadge's attorney -- Steven Frey -- said yesterday that Talmadge was suffering from acute mania at the time of the assault.

Frey says he believes what he calls the "episode of acute mania" may have been caused by medication Talmadge was taking at the time.

The 39-year-old Talmadge turned himself in to Clayton County authorities Wednesday night.

Talmadge's attorneys had reached a tentative agreement with the Clayton County district attorney's office that would have allowed an $82,000 bond, but no decision was reached yesterday.

Clayton Chief Deputy Assistant District Attorney John Turner said the two sides will meet today to discuss bail for Talmadge.

The delivery man, Maury Seitel, told police he was attacked by a man whom police later identified as Talmadge. The 20-year-old Seitel says he and a colleague drove down Talmadge Road in Hampton by mistake.

Talmadge waged an unsuccessful bid for Henry County Commission chairman in 2004.

If you are ever in Hampton, DON'T drive down any dirt roads.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The FULL Story that AR-wrench quoted:

www.henryherald.com/homepage/local_story_055204410.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Published: February 24, 2006 08:44 pm

Victim in Talmadge case to be charged
By Ed Brock

The pizza delivery driver who said Herman Eugene Talmadge III chased him down and pistol whipped him is expected to face charges of giving false information to police.

Meanwhile, 39-year-old Talmadge, grandson of a former Georgia governor and senator and great-grandson of a four-time Georgia governor, was expected to be released on $168,000 bond with several restrictions.

Maury Seitel, 20, had told police that another Papa John’s Pizza driver and he ended up on Talmadge’s property on Feb. 5 because they were trying to find a home where they had attempted to deliver a pizza earlier in the evening. On Friday Clayton County Police Maj. Tim Robinson said investigators had learned that some information in Seitel’s statement was false.

Seitel and the other driver, whose name was not available on Friday, could be charged as early as Monday with giving false information to police and obstruction, Robinson said. Robinson did not have the specifics of what information was false, but lawyers for Talmadge say it’s their understanding that there was no order for pizza that night at the address Seitel and the other driver told police.

In fact, attorney Keith Martin said Seitel and the other man had admitted to police that they were on the property “treasure hunting.”

“They intimated that if they saw something they liked they were inclined to stop and pick it up,” Martin said.

Seitel did not return phone calls seeking comment. Previously he said he wasn’t supposed to talk about the case.

Around 10:25 p.m. on the day of the incident Seitel and the other driver said they were trying to find an address on Talmadge Court where the other driver had previously tried to make a delivery, according to a Clayton County police report.

They wound up on a dirt road, Talmadge Road, and when they saw “No trespassing” signs they began looking for a place to turn around, Seitel and the other driver told police. When they turned around and began to leave they noticed a car following them with its bright lights on.

The car followed them to the parking lot in front of the Publix shopping center on U.S. Highway 19/41 where the driver then got out and confronted them with a gun in hand. He began shouting at them about trespassing on his property, then grabbed Seitel and started hitting him with the gun.

At one point the gun went off but Seitel said he didn’t know if the man was trying to shoot him or if the gun discharged accidentally.

Seitel said the man said something about him stealing copper from the property, then grabbed a piece of paper from Seitel’s truck, wrote down his name and vehicle identification number, and then left.

Seitel and the other Papa John’s employee later identified Talmadge from a photo lineup as the man who beat him, Clayton County Assistant Chief Jeff Turner said previously, and found paperwork on the scene connected to Talmadge.

Martin and Talmadge’s other attorney, Steve Frey, said the story never made much sense.

On the night of the incident, Frey said, Talmadge heard a commotion near the small cabin where he stays on the family’s 2,600 acre estate near Lovejoy. He went outside and saw the truck passing the cabin going from the interior of the property and heading back toward the main house and the exit nearly a mile away.

The entrance to the Talmadge farm is marked by a gate and on Friday there were bright yellow “No Trespassing” signs posted near the gate and on several trees next to the road going into the property. That road splits at one point, with a turn to the right leading to an old ham processing plant and the turn to the left going toward the main house.

The narrow but paved road, which is not illuminated according to Frey, leads to the main house that is about six-tenths of a mile from U.S. Highway 19/41. From there the road dwindles to a rutted dirt road for some distance before getting to Talmadge’s cabin.

Talmadge’s father, Herman Eugene Talmadge, Jr., lives in the main house.

Frey said the family has had to contend constantly with trespassers and thieves who have stripped the copper wiring from the old ham factory. They have confronted armed poachers on their land hunting deer.

Also, Frey said Talmadge III has been undergoing treatment for a mental health condition for years. Prior to the incident Talmadge had been having trouble with the medication prescribed to him for that condition.

Talmadge had been hospitalized for treatment of that condition, which Frey said was depression, for nearly two weeks before turning himself in to the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday.

Martin said they cannot change the fact that Talmadge did follow Seitel off the property where the confrontation took place.

“We can only seek an explanation for what happened down here (on the Talmadge property) that may have triggered it,” Martin said.

Among the conditions of Talmadge’s bond are a 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. curfew, monitored probation and a restriction against possessing firearms. A licensed medical professional must administer Talmadge’s medicine and keep a written record of its administration.

Also, Talmadge is not to come within 2,000 feet of the Publix shopping center where the beating occurred.

Both Talmadge III and Talmadge, Jr. have been arrested before, Talmadge Jr. most recently in an incident in which he allegedly fired a gun and threatened a man who had stopped at the farm to ask directions.

According to Henry County jail records, Talmadge III was charged with running a stop sign and driving on a suspended license in 1988, pointing a gun at another in 1999 and disorderly conduct in 2005.

It's a good thing that the reporter didn't check with Clayton or Athens-Clarke County.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Which Talmadge was it that was told he would have to allow blacks to eat in his restaurant, and he said OK, then sat in a chair at the door selling axe handles to all the white folks?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Which Talmadge was it that was told he would have to allow blacks to eat in his restaurant, and he said OK, then sat in a chair at the door selling axe handles to all the white folks?

That sounds like great grand-daddy. He was the Gov of Ga for four terms. His son, the kids grand daddy, took over as Gov of GA until he was elected to be a US Senator. Grand dad was the one that was denounced for finanical misconduct after grandmother Betty started blabbing about coat pockets full of money during their highly publicized and very bitter divorce.

Read "I Rode With the Ku Klux Klan" by Stetson Kennedy if you want to know more about great granddaddy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Pillars of the community.  I guess generations of inbreeding will do that.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Wasn't that Lester Maddox?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to hear more...it sure is interesting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top