Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 3:22:15 PM EDT
I have been seeing multiple reports of hidden corrosion due to CMP using hot water and steam to clean most of the Garands lately.  CMP even sent a warning email out about this.

If you have received a garand in the last 8 months or so, make sure you detail strip it and treat it for rust.  Even if you cleaned it when you got it, do it again, just to be safe.

BTW, anyone going to the Ga. shoot that has Garand questions, I'd be happy to try to answer. Afterall, Uncle Sam lent me one for a while, and taught me much about this fine American rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Got mine about 6 months ago but I am not worried. I gave it diesel bath followed by a rinse and then an air hose to dry out every crevace. I only used wax and grease remover on the stock it to preserve the original finish. I think after a few shooting sessions all of the remaining cosmo in the stock has seeped out

BTW: It is a Greek return service grade.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you remove the rear sight assy?  Main area of concern was the sight pocket in the receiver (under the sight cover) and the rear sight pinion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you remove the rear sight assy?  Main area of concern was the sight pocket in the receiver (under the sight cover) and the rear sight pinion.

No, I did read about this and checked it after something was initially said. When cleaning the gun, after diesel and a rinse, for the first time I just blew 140psi of air through till it was dry. So no issues, I suppose if had not immediately cleaned the gun there may have been a problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Got mine about a year ago.  First thing I did was disassemble, clean and lube.  No problems.  I got one of the last of the H&R's apparently.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up.  I have 2 on the way (1 CG and 1 SG) - both HRA Greek returns.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up.  I have 2 on the way (1 CG and 1 SG) - both HRA Greek returns.  

Oh Boy, fresh meat!  Do you know the finer points of avoiding the dreaded M-1 thumb?

My HRA was a Christmas gift from my wife, ya gotta love them Georgia Peaches!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope to make it to the GA shoot in March.  I purchased a CMP Garand over a year ago and have yet to shoot it.  I may need some help sighting her in if someone could show me the ropes.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hope to make it to the GA shoot in March.  I purchased a CMP Garand over a year ago and have yet to shoot it.  I may need some help sighting her in if someone could show me the ropes.  

Bring it on!  

Got clips?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I have about a dozen or so.  I just need to purchase some ammo then I will be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
How much you need?  I may can help for the day .

IM if I can help
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't tell anyone, but I happen to like the Garand better than the AR.  A Garand is made of steel and wood and shoots a real bullet.  I have found that the AP round is a tad more accurate than the ball round.  I have a correct grade H&R, and USGI H&R (before CMP ran out), and a SA Garand.  I may have another one, but I just don't remember.  My SA is an honest MOA with 168 grain Sierras and IMR-4895.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Yep, got one last week.
I did a partial strip and noticed mild to medium rusting of the op rod tube and op rod spring.

I will detail strip the sight assembly now that this has been pointed out to me.

Is CMP making any amends for these issues?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is CMP making any amends for these issues?

My understanding is they are making good on stuff they messed up with their water baths.  No first hand exp, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top