Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:20:43 AM EDT
We're going to be spending 3 days in the ATL area.  Plan to hit the Georgia Aquarium for a day, but what else is a DO NOT MISS thing while there?

Also, any local rules about CCW that a FL resident should be aware of?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You're bound to see a few muggings, stabbings and maybe a homocide or two.  Depending on where your going of course.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
What scenes do you enjoy with your new wife? I can suggest a few resturants or bars/clubs/dance places if thats what your looking for.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]
We're both college students, so money is a big issue.  We just want to have a good time, so we're pretty much open for anything.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I can think of a lot better places to spend a honeymoon instead of Atlanta.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
No CCW in GA Aquarium.  You will be wanded, so leave secured in vehicle.

Good city for college students to find fun.  Shouldn't be too hard.  Grats.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
come on now fellas! If money is an issue cause your in school thats fine! Go see the fish, the piranahs are my favorite. I got to see them eat one of their own two weeks ago.  There are a few places you should check out if your on a budget. For lunch its hard to beat " EATS " soulfood/italian/southern mix, how do they do it??? Nobody knows!!  you can get out of there for 15 bucks tottal for both of you. seriously ... check out EATS i wouldnt post it if it sucked. Another good lunch spot is Doc Chey's - they are located next to Emory campus, in the Virginia Highlands and now in Smyrna. Again in and out for under $20 tottal. Both of these places are perfectly acceptable to lunch or dinner... but if you are looking for a dinner spot on your honeymoon u want to spend a bit more. Check out Apre Diem! Mediterranian/middle eastern food. Food is excellent, staff is attractive but can be slow if on the weekend. The owner will come out and talk with people about the food and make sure everything is good. Very mixed crowd here, lots of 20s, 30s, and 40s - You can hit this spot for under $60 food is server tappas style. Which reminds me! Another tappas style place you might like is Cafe Tu Tu Tango ... yeah yeah its in buckhead but the food is awsome, bar is really well stocked and they have hot  spanish dancers every hour or so. They just break it down in the bar area. All in all its a really nice place and very acceptable. I took my wife there when we first started dating... think that was her - If you are looking for some GA BARBQ check out Fat Mats - this place is legendary! the line to get in at lunch time goes into the parking lot.  These places should give you a good taste of what atlanta has to offer in the way of food. If you are looking for a club thats not trashy or covered in gangsters and hoodrats check out www.eleven50.com - they have some of the worlds top DJs every week. -- ok last but not least! pay attention to this one http://www.babettescafe.com/ - this is kinda pricy but very good, they do charge a cork fee if you bring your own - get the mussels starter, its soooo damn good - again a very interesting mix of customers, I saw a fella that looked like a 70s english rocker with a young hottie last time. Their bar tender is an older fella about 280 and wears suspenders, looks like an off duty santa.  ok im done, gonna go get something to eat - oh by the way im not a fatty i just play one on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't think of anything in Atlanta as a MUST see.  

Not sure if ya'll are looking for indoor or outdoor things to do.  Here's some stuff ideas if you want to spend some time outside.

Stone Mountain Park  
Kennesaw National Battlefield  
Southeastern Railway Museum  I think they are only open on the weekends.  

Indoor Stuff in downtown area:
Take a ride to the top of Peachtree Plaza and have a drink or lunch... If you stay for an hour, you will get to see the whole city.  The restaurant revolves once per hour.  

World of Coke

Don't walk around downtown Atlanta after the sun goes down.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
dont walk around downtown atlanta after dark?, what about the daytime. Last time  I was there I got the willys just riding to Zoo Atlanta!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The Pink Pony should be on any visitors must see list
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can think of a lot better places to spend a honeymoon instead of Atlanta.

+1

It is wise to listen to the voice of public safety.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#12]
If coming up I-75 I would stop at Robbins AFB's Air Museum for a couple of hours and check out the place.  Buff, SR71, U2, Mig, F104, F86, P40, B29, AT37, Helo's,motors,,,,,,,,

rj
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd recommend the Regal Imax Theater located in Mall of Georgia.  Supposed to be one of the biggest Imax in the world...

World of Coke is a big waste of money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Too lazy to read what everybody wrote, but...

First Congratulations!!

Get your Aquarium reservations now...the season ticket holders reservations for today(Pres Day) was filled up weeks ago, just to give you an idea. No guns, knifes, or corkscrews. Well, maybe not corkscrews, but something silly like that. When they wanded me they only got my ankles. I was wearing a big coat and they didn't go near it.

CNN Center and Centennial Olympic park are right there. Underground is walking distance. MARTA is close and you can ride to other sites. I think no weapons are allowed on MARTA either, figures.

Check packing.org for reciprocity stuff.

What days will you guys be here? If it is weekdays, I work downtown and if you get in a bind you can give me a call. I can get directions, phone numbers, and even tote you back to your hotel if something comes up. IM me and I will give you my cell number.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

World of Coke is a big waste of money.

No doubt.  They don't even sell rum or Jack Daniels.  How the hell can you drink Coke without any booze in it?  

Two words ... hip flask  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Atlanta is a relatively safe city to hang out in. Do the CNN Tour and World of Coke. Definitely eat at Fat Matt's and Mary Mac's Tea Room.

Depending on the dates, you may be able to catch the circus or a hockey game. I can't really recommend the basketball team. but there would be PLENTY of tickets available.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Come on. You guys must be paranoid:). I live 200 yards from the Zoo. It's a great neighborhood. I have been walking to Grant Park (where the Zoo is) 2 times a day with my dogs for 7 years now at all hours and never been threatend. Women jog in the park at night also. I'm not saying visit the Zoo or anything but it's not crimefest. My co-workers have more crime (latino) in their "burbs" in one month than I see in a year...
L8r,
flap
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#19]
When your done seeing the fish, they ex-mayor is on trial a couple of blocks away for corruption at the Richard Russell Federal Building, you might want to pop in. Also, just down the street from the Zoo is the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary, a must see on anybodies list.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
come on now fellas! If money is an issue cause your in school thats fine! Go see the fish, the piranahs are my favorite. I got to see them eat one of their own two weeks ago.  There are a few places you should check out if your on a budget. For lunch its hard to beat " EATS " soulfood/italian/southern mix, how do they do it??? Nobody knows!!  you can get out of there for 15 bucks tottal for both of you. seriously ... check out EATS i wouldnt post it if it sucked. Another good lunch spot is Doc Chey's - they are located next to Emory campus, in the Virginia Highlands and now in Smyrna. Again in and out for under $20 tottal. Both of these places are perfectly acceptable to lunch or dinner... but if you are looking for a dinner spot on your honeymoon u want to spend a bit more. Check out Apre Diem! Mediterranian/middle eastern food. Food is excellent, staff is attractive but can be slow if on the weekend. The owner will come out and talk with people about the food and make sure everything is good. Very mixed crowd here, lots of 20s, 30s, and 40s - You can hit this spot for under $60 food is server tappas style. Which reminds me! Another tappas style place you might like is Cafe Tu Tu Tango ... yeah yeah its in buckhead but the food is awsome, bar is really well stocked and they have hot  spanish dancers every hour or so. They just break it down in the bar area. All in all its a really nice place and very acceptable. I took my wife there when we first started dating... think that was her - If you are looking for some GA BARBQ check out Fat Mats - this place is legendary! the line to get in at lunch time goes into the parking lot.  These places should give you a good taste of what atlanta has to offer in the way of food. If you are looking for a club thats not trashy or covered in gangsters and hoodrats check out www.eleven50.com - they have some of the worlds top DJs every week. -- ok last but not least! pay attention to this one http://www.babettescafe.com/ - this is kinda pricy but very good, they do charge a cork fee if you bring your own - get the mussels starter, its soooo damn good - again a very interesting mix of customers, I saw a fella that looked like a 70s english rocker with a young hottie last time. Their bar tender is an older fella about 280 and wears suspenders, looks like an off duty santa.  ok im done, gonna go get something to eat - oh by the way im not a fatty i just play one on the internet.

You forgot the Varsity!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Ahhhhh The Varsity.  2 chili dogs, onion rings, and a Frosty Orange.  Enough grease to last a week, but it sure is good!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ahhhhh The Varsity.  2 chili dogs, onion rings, and a Frosty Orange.  Enough grease to last a week, but it sure is good!

Any time your system needs a good cleansing.

They do use fresh potatoes and onions and they are great, albeit greasy as you said.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to be downtown, I would suggest dinner at the Sundial Resturant, which is located atop the Peachtree Westin hotel (the 70+ story round one where Sharkey's Machine was filmed WAY back when). But don't have dessert there. After dinner, take her to Dailey's for dessert. Dailey's is at the corner of P'tree and International Blvd. Actually, it is about 100ft down Int'l on the east side just down from the Hard Rock. The desserts are KILLER!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you going to be here on March 11?  If so, you can come meet and greet at our shoot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you are going to be downtown, I would suggest dinner at the Sundial Resturant, which is located atop the Peachtree Westin hotel (the 70+ story round one where Sharkey's Machine was filmed WAY back when). But don't have dessert there. After dinner, take her to Dailey's for dessert. Dailey's is at the corner of P'tree and International Blvd. Actually, it is about 100ft down Int'l on the east side just down from the Hard Rock. The desserts are KILLER!!!!!

Dessert at Dailey's is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are you going to be here on March 11?  If so, you can come meet and greet at our shoot.

March 11th is actually our wedding day.  we'll be in town monday night
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Try the Atlanta History Center:

http://www.atlhist.org/

Tours of an old farm,one of the nice old houses,and one of the best displays of Civil War guns and artifacts around.
Not that pricey fo Students,and there will be plenty to keep the wife interested too (always a plus,in case you haven't learned that yet!).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

March 11th is actually our wedding day.  we'll be in town monday night

Well, on Tuesday the 14th, I will be heading down your way going to Sebring.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, if you are college students you must make the hour drive to Athens GA...home of the Dawgs!!!!!

Cheap beer and a great atmosphere.

I've wasted many nights there and I even remember a few.

TD
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the artwork in the Atlanta airport.  It's a must see.  

Been there, done that, still trying to get the vomit out of my mouth!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd say don't miss the big rock.  And since it's your honeymoon, take the cablecar to the top, run off into the trees and join the "Not quite Mile-High but however high Stone Mountain is" club.

I should really grow up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#35]
You will be about a week early, but St Patty's Day (March 17th) in Savannah, which is only about a 4 hour drive from ATL, is the 2nd largest Irish drunken fest in the country.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You will be about a week early, but St Patty's Day (March 17th) in Savannah, which is only about a 4 hour drive from ATL, is the 2nd largest Irish drunken fest in the country.

When I lived in the Savannah area, I made sure I was not in town during that week.  It also helped that the Sebring 12 Hour race was that same week every year.

I am not Irish nor do I wish to pretend to be.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag

-New name, need to keep up with the thread

(and this is also a shameless BTT)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top