Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:57:45 AM EDT
I'm shopping for a (used) new ride, and have seen something I'm interested in that is in North Carolina. Before I get too wound up and head down the road, isn't there some tax/titling laws about bringing vehicles into the state?

(BTW, just in case yall see one, I'm looking for a79-85 Jeep CJ7, 6 cyl. 4 or 5spd, hard top. Not rusted out. I can do some repairs, but need it to be good to go from day one)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's old enough, you don't need a title, just bill of sale.  If you buy from a private party, sales tax is a non-issue - at least, I've never had to pay it on the 3 cars I've currently bought from private parties out of state.  If you buy from a dealer, there will be tax issues - either they will charge you tax and Georgia will refund or charge you the difference (depending on whether the other state taxed you more or less than Georgia would), or they won't charge you tax at all and Georgia will hit you up for the full amount after you register the car here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, all you'll have to pay is the ad valorem tax when you register it here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool! I'm looking at an 83 CJ7, so hopefully23 years old is old enough.

Reject- I know you're a Mercedes man- ever thought about a Unimog? A guy near me has about 4 for sale. $7500-$45,000.

www.vintageoffroad.com/videos/uni.wmv
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have thought about a Unimog.  It didn't take much thinking to determine that I wanted one!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, then in that case...

Eurotruck Unimogs in Flowery Branch, GA

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, then in that case...

I already have 5 MBs after buying another one last week.  Number 6 would get me killed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out   www.southernjeeps.org

-go to the forums and click on the for sale section...Feel free to ask questions too, these guys know a lot about jeeps.  I've been a member there for about 2 years and I've owned  5 jeeps since then- 2 (CJ 5's) 1 (CJ7) and 2(XJ's)..good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top