Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 2:05:11 PM EDT
I need some help from my fellow AFR.com members.

I got downsized a month ago and have decided to get out of NY state.
We want to relocate to the Atlanta Metro area. I live in the Buffalo NY area now.
I don't need pitty because I live in Buffalo, I do need help finding a new job in Georgia.

The Residential construction industry in Buffalo is a fraction of Atlanta's.  Job opportunities and advancement likewise.

I am looking for work as an Estimator/ Purchasing agent/ Supervisor for a growing, reputable builder.  I have a lot of experience and I am very knowledgeable. I have references.

I can not afford to move until a have a job in Atlanta. I am able to fly down for a week for FTF interviews.  We have friends in Peachtree City I can stay with.

I would appreciate any leads or other help in securing a good positition around Atlanta.

TIA, Rich

P.S.  I have been searching the AJC ads, Monster, Careerbuilder, AJbank, Hotjobs etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the jobs listed at the link are with private companies and in the Atlanta area.
www.iccsafe.org/e/listjobs.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck. There certainly is a lot of construction going on in the area.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
j3_

Thanks for the link!  Found one possible opening.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there such thing as a reputable builder?  I thought they all were crooks.  <just kidding>

Good luck with your search.  There are zillions of builders in the Metro Atlanta area.  If you don't get anywhere with the job boards, you might think about visiting your P'tree City friends and drive around a bit.  

Here are some of the bigger builders that I know of around town.  
www.beazer.com
http://www.jwhomes.com/
http://www.bowenfamilyhomes.com/pages/home.html

Hablas espanol?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks bird,

"Hablas espanol?"   No, I took 2 years of French in H.S.  Never would have thougth back then that a second language would be a marketable skill.  French has come in handy being so close to Canada, eh.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks bird,

"Hablas espanol?"   No, I took 2 years of French in H.S.  Never would have thougth back then that a second language would be a marketable skill.  French has come in handy being so close to Canada, eh.

A very large percentage of construction workers in GA are from South of the Rio Grande.  Not all speak English, so I was half kidding and half serious about speaking Spanish.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You should be ok to come into the state. It's early in the year and I don't think we've met our quota of yankees yet. Feel free to apply.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You should be ok to come into the state. It's early in the year and I don't think we've met our quota of yankees yet. Feel free to apply.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
All kidding aside about being from New York, and moving south, there is a lot of construction going on.  Seems to me that most of the new home construction is in Forsyth, Dawson, and Hall Counites, especially Forsyth.   South of town it seems that Henry County is booming.  

Correct about the Hispanic workers.  At least they are out every morning wanting to work while a lot in downtown Atlanta only want a hand out.  

One site I know is www.marinabayonlakelanier.com  

There is a list of builders on the site.  These are some high dollar houses and not even close to my price range, but good lookin houses all the same.

So to our prospective Northern Black Rifle transplant, good luck in your search.  BTW, we had our first trace of snow this morning up here near Amicalola Falls.  Hope that is it for 2006.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thunder-47,

Thanks for the welcome and info.

I'd be a great addition the the Georgia EBR group.  I have lots of Evil rifles and I plan on building more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest checking in the areas north of ATL. There is a lot ofhome building going on in Gwinnett, south Hall, and surrounding counties. They like buying 500 acres and putting 800 homes on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the west side of atlanta also. Around douglasville area. Tributary os going up this way. 20 year project supposed to have everything you will ever need. For the 200s. But there are cheaper places also....You can find 3 bed 2 baths from about 100k.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, I did not know there was 500 acres of land in Gwinnett Co that did not have houses on it or a road through it.  In my very humble opinion, the Gwinnett Co politicians should be ashamed of themselves for the gross over development.  I lived in Lawrenceville for a while, but could not stand being cramped and the traffic is just horrible.  

Decided that Dahlonega and Lumpkin Co. was a much better place.  That was almost 20 years ago and one of my better life decisions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would suggest checking in the areas north of ATL. There is a lot ofhome building going on in Gwinnett, south Hall, and surrounding counties. They like buying 500 acres and putting 800 townhomes on it.

Fixed it for ya!!

Seems like that's what they are doing in my area.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Same on the west side. I know you have all heard of tributary. But Between douglasville and fairburn on ost road they are supposed to be building 50,000 houses and 2 malls in the next 20 years. And to think not even 25 years ago Highway 5 was a dirt road. Hell, I dont remember but I think someone told me that in the 70s 20 didnt even go past highway 5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top