Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 10:22:24 AM EDT
Anyone have a 300 Whisper AR15 upper?? If so what are the details.......please........
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you what I do know, but I don't have one..

125gr ballistic tips can be fired at 2,200-2300fps (AK velocity and bullet weight)
With a 1:8 twist, you can shoot 240gr match kings at subsonic speeds.

A pistol length gas port on a carbine length barrel will cycle with subsonics, but an adjustable gas tube is recommended ir not required.

Last thing I know is I want a 300 Whisper AR pistol.

Jered Joplin has a 300 Whisper in his shop. Maybe you could ask him if he'd bring it to the next Camp Shooters match and let you give it a spin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about getting one for a while. I also think a Thompson Contender in 300 Whisper would be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The TC's version of the Whisper is the .30 Herrett. It's a rimmed case to aid in extraction.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I forgot about the ol' 30 Herret.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've thought about getting one for a while. I also think a Thompson Contender in 300 Whisper would be interesting.

You mean something like this one?  

Just sold it a couple of months ago.  The barrel was done by JD Jones/SSK.  It was a great shooter, but I wanted a bolt gun.  I sold the Contender to help fund the bolt gun project.  The picture below is the bolt rifle I just got back from PacNor.  It's built on a CZ527 action w/HS Precision stock.  The barrel is PacNor's supermatch SS 1:6.5 twist for stabilizing the big heavy subsonics.  Haven't finished it all out yet.  I'm gonna have it coated in matte black, add a badger bolt knob and a Leupy MR/T M1 MilDot.  Haven't really put much time in on load development either, but the 220gr SMK on top of 10.6 grains of Reloader7 is giving me 1020fps and sub MOA groups.  Hard to argue with that.  I'm gonna play with some H4227 next week.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Now were talking!!

Nice little stick there! What can are you using?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I have talked to Randal at AR15barrels.com and he is going to be building me a 8" long 1:8 twist match grade Shilen barrel, also gonna turn down a JP adjustable gas block to fit under the hand guards.

My questions are this: What length hand guard would look better, carbine or full length? I like the look of an integral set up and would like to cover the union of the barrel and can. So a carbine length hand guard is ~7" long and I don't think that would work.... So what would the full length hand guard look like?

Any suggestions on a cheap full length hand guard? Thought about one of the solid aluminum 12" setups and just cut it at the length that looks best. Any input?  

I am being told that even with the short barrel I should still expect 0.5 to 0.75 MOA accuracy, depending on my handloads.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I'd go with the DPMS tube and the "tuber" cover. It'd look like an MP5SD of sorts.

Did he say the 8" would cycle well?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now were talking!!

Nice little stick there! What can are you using?

Thanks caver101.  The can is an AAC Cyclone and works very well.  

For an inexpensive forend, you might try a YHM lightweight quadrail.   It has a large enough inside diameter to accomodate a .30 cal rifle suppressor (usually 1.5 inch OD).  Some of the other rails will not fit over a 1.5 inch OD can (the Daniel Defense for instance).  By my calculations, using YHM's "specter length" (~9.6 inch) tube, you should have about 6 inches of can (assuming a can ~8 inches long as the Cyclone is along with your ~8 inch barrel) sticking out from under the handguard.  That should be about perfect for your "SD" look.  With the quadrail, you get the benefit of adding grips, lights, bipods, etc.  You can check out the YHM handguards here.  Another inexpensive option is the Oly FIRSH.  Look on the EE board for deals on these rails.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
THATS IT!! Specter length!! I had missed them!!! I was looking at the carbine and the full length. That specter fits the bill perfect!!

You da man scoop!

OK, hometown forum dealers.........got any prices for the YHM specter light weight rail??? I am gonna post the full shoping list later

Should I use the M4 feed ramps for such a long and heavy bullet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Check with Bright Flashlights on the EE board.  He had real good prices on the YHM stuff.  You might want to do a little research on the 8 inch barrel before you decide.  Talk to several folks and see what they say.  And check out Quarterbore's .300 Whisper pages here.   Good luck with your build.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have talked to several folks (Noveske, Randall @ AR15barrels.com, another owner of a 8" Noveske setup) and they say there are no problems when run with a can. Thats all I have to go on.???? Any more advice????
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Any more advice????

Yep.  Build it and enjoy it.  Sounds like you've done your homework.  Let us know how it all turns out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordering the barrel today.

Looking for a good price for the YHM specter handguard and flattop M4 upper w/bolt.

Got a lead on 500 rnds of 300/221 brass for $70 too!! That sure will save me a TON of time on the reloading press

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#15]
This guy is well respected on Quarterbore.com for his Whisper brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top