Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
I have been backing-up the hell out of movies and converting downloaded movies to DVDs like there is no tomorrow but I have more movies than blank DVDs...aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't stock up at CompUSA's New Years sale?  100 pack for 19.99!  I picked up 200 DVD+R's
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 25 right here on my desk and I expect they'll be here for many years.

Just what in the hell is the secret to burning DVDs?

I gave it the old college try when I got my burner, but I never enjoyed any success.

TD  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have 25 right here on my desk and I expect they'll be here for many years.

Just what in the hell is the secret to burning DVDs?

I gave it the old college try when I got my burner, but I never enjoyed any success.

TD  

DVDShrink and Nero are an unbeatable pair, if shrink doesn't work, DVD Decryptor will.

It is really almost that simple to copy backup movies.

As for putting downloaded movies onto DVDs - VSO DivxToDVD is fantastic!

Traditional DVD makers are fine but they force you to make menus and such (not that there is anything wrong with menus) but that part can get overwhelming as each prog wants you to do it in a different way.

All progs listed can be found relatively easily on the Enterweb, though you may have to cross to the dark side.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You didn't stock up at CompUSA's New Years sale?  100 pack for 19.99!  I picked up 200 DVD+R's

Brand name DVDs? I am picky about my media, I had some very important CDs peel apart from a sticky note once, now I only use a known name brand.

That is an awsome price though!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
That's illegal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's illegal.

You gonna turn me in? I know where you live! You still don't know where I am! Sthilly Bathtard!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's illegal.

You gonna turn me in? I know where you live! You still don't know where I am! Sthilly Bathtard!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I know where you eat.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's illegal.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I know where you eat.

That sounds sooooooo wrong on sooooo many levels! Besides, if they staked out that place for me there would be more than copyright violations to arrest someone for! They would prolly forget about little ol' me!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Your allowed to back up your own stuff anyway.  I copied all of the movies my kids like to watch and let them trash the copies while originals sit up on the shelf.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brand name DVDs? I am picky about my media, I had some very important CDs peel apart from a sticky note once, now I only use a known name brand.

That is an awsome price though!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

CompUSA brand DVD's.  For high volume backup you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Howdy!

Interested on this thread!!    

I'm putting together a media center where I want to store my movies (DVDs and personal movies), musics (around 800 CDs), photos, etc.

I got a 300Gb SATA HDD but it seems I'll need more space.  

Anyways... any of you have downloaded your stuff to the computer?

I'm looking not only for good software to rip the DVDs and CDs but also organize them with menus, etc. in my PC.   Any recommendations?  

The other question regards the interface for my sound system and TV.   The motherboard I bought has the optical digital audio out, THX and Dolby 7.1 sound and a PCI Express slot already filled with an ATI board with DVI output.   I also got a dual-layer Pioneer DVD burner/reader that will be appropriately hacked to read my disks from other regions.

However, the problem is controlling the stuff.   One way is buying a wireless keyboard and mouse.  But that will be clumsy in the living room.    Other way is getting a box such as D-Link's MediaLounge DSM-520 Wireless HD Media Player.   So the next question here is: anybody has it or recommends something else?

And the last but not least question.   I currently have Windows XP loaded there but consider seriously to change for Linux.   However, despite much more reliable, I heard that Linux can be a pain to configure correctly for heavy media management.   Any experience or recommendations here?

Cheers!

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And the last but not least question.   I currently have Windows XP loaded there but consider seriously to change for Linux.   However, despite much more reliable, I heard that Linux can be a pain to configure correctly for heavy media management.   Any experience or recommendations here?

No problems here with media mgmt. using RedHat Enterprise and Debian.

I must say, DVDShrink is amazing software. DVDShrink+Netflix = Large dvd (backup)collection.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I use Beyond TV for copying tv shows and such. Once saved, you can play them back whenever from a menu. I have also downloaded shows(Battlestar, etc) and put them into the Beyond TV Folders and they showed up in the menu for playback, which is a nice feature. Also there is a laptop/remote add-on that allows you to stream videos(and maybe music, I haven't tried) to a wired or wireless pc. I tested by going in my basement and watched a movie while I worked, wirelessly. It will do the same for live tv as well. There is a competing program though I do not know it's name. I got Beyond TV on sale(50% off) at microcenter during a sale.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had problems with the Compusa brand DVD+R's in the past.  That was easily a year or two ago but we basically wasted our money on a 100 pack.  Everyone would bomb when we burned it, but we were using DVDxcopy which I would highly NOT recommend.  Everything in the DVD world has changed quite a bit since the early days of DVD burning.  They are probably different now.

DVDshrink and Nero is definitely the winning combination.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Huervo Neuvo

One day deal on Ridata 100 pack 26.99/free shipping
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]
WooHoo, I just successfully burned my 1st DVD.

This thread motivated me to attempt it again.

I now have a back up copy of Girls Gone Wild IV.

BTW: If you aren't familiar with this series don't waste your money. They do a great job promoting this series, but that's the only thing great about it.

TD
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!! It is a lot less frustrating than it used to be.

Oh, I got some, 50 verbatum $14.99. Not too shabby.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top