Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 6:20:37 PM EDT
I may have an oppertunity to get a stg-58 kit for a decent price.  I see that the receivers from Imbel have dried up and all that is left are the ones produced in-country.  

So just what can a FAL do for me that my AR, Grand, Mosin carbine, and Enfield can't do for me other than be in 308 and have a detachable magazine.

Any one???

Buzz.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
 Well nothing really.  But it is a great piece of firearm history. Carried by many of NATO soldiers and the free world. It fought in all kinds of conflicts,across the world. From jungles of Vietnam, to Africa , to Isreal and Arab conflicts. I would get the kit if it's a good price and in great shape. Rainy day type deal. I think if  you EE anough you can come up with an Imbeal reciver. If not the Dan Coonan are pretty good. I have a STG built by Tony Marshburn on a Dan C . It's nice. Good luck Tony's in Atlanta by the way. Ya could contact him about recivers . M&M gunsmithing. Good luck, WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Well, if you don't have a FAL you can't shoot in the FAL only match at River Bend.  :D

Seriously, FALs rock...if the kit is in good shape, buy it.  Even if you don't ever build it the kit will increase in value.  There are a LOT of local FAL builders, from pros like Tony Marshburn down to hacks like myself.

So, vs your mentioned rifles:

AR - please, the FAL uses real, man-sized bullets.

Garand - I will not profane against the Garand, it is a holy artifact.

Mosin Carbine - this is a bolt gun, right?

Enfield - a 303?  I love these things, took 2nd at the antique bolt gun match this year with mine, but they don't beat FALs (or even Garands) at 3-gun matches.  Again, bolt gun.

It is clear you are looking for a reason, I think you just need to shoot one.  Where do you live?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I shot Books Fal, (I think it was a STG?) At that time I was looking to build either a AR or FAL, well I but up the AR I have now.

I have that building itch again, and this time I may go with the Fal.

I live down in Coweta county long with GACOP and some one else.

But do I really NEED another mouth to feed???

9mm, 45acp, 303 brit, 54r, 06, and 5.56, not to mention 22lr.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH (the wallet is screaming)

Not to mention all of the accessories. mags, strippers, pouches, SUIT. (i wish)

I just don't know.......

eta: yes the Enfield is a .303.  Its a  No1 Mk3***  a 1941 Lithgow. With the buttstock that has almost all of the cartouchs (?) since its birth.  From 1941 up to 1954.  Every time I shoot it and clean it, I find more rifle lands.  And it shoots better.  .  I just love my Smelly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I will second stimpsonjcat. one of the best, user frendly rifles I have ever owned. The big problem with FAL's is that they are addictive. I usualy have enughf parts laying around to build at least two complete rifles. The trick to building is to buy parts when they are available and sit on them until you collect enughf part to build the configuration you want. I always buy at least 2 of whatever more than I need, that way when they dryup and the price goes up you can swap them for something alse that you need(i.e. I picked up three L1a1's for $200each then sold them a couple years later for $800+ when they dried up)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Why FALs?

I dunno know...maybe it's because it was the favorite weapon of choice among the mercs in Africa.  Yes, I watched Wild Geese too many times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top