Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 12:47:13 PM EDT
I understand that AFT is no longer accepting GA Firearms License Permits for validity to bypass the NIC background check, and that the NIC is not instant: one has to wait a few days.  I heard this from two people who have a valid GA Firearms License.  One tried to buy a rifle; the other tried to buy a pistol.  Both had to wait several days for NIC check to go through, and their GA Firearms License could not be used.

Anyone know what is going on?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.....GA did not comply with NICS for CCW eligibility. Feds took over. I have not had an instant reply yet and I've bought four guns since this was enacted. Two pistols and two rifles. All took at least 24 hours. I'm currently waiting for a reply as I type this from a check done this past Wednesday on a rifle. The $5 fee has gone away. now I am going to hijack this thread with a quick question. Does the consent form still have to be filled out. I have heard mixed stories on this. It has put a big hamper on gun show purchases.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I understand that AFT is no longer accepting GA Firearms License Permits for validity to bypass the NIC background check, and that the NIC is not instant: one has to wait a few days.  I heard this from two people who have a valid GA Firearms License.  One tried to buy a rifle; the other tried to buy a pistol.  Both had to wait several days for NIC check to go through, and their GA Firearms License could not be used.

Anyone know what is going on?  

Do a search. This has been extensively covered here on the GA forum, but it's basically a problem with the GBI.

The check is "supposed" to be instant, but delays do occur.

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
We call them in at the store and have had just a few delays. I'd say maybe one out of ten.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I read the other thread about this problem.  GBI screwed the pooch.

I seem to remember reading the Second Amendment stating something about "shall not be infringed”.

Question #1:
Anyone know if GBI is correcting this problem or if the NRA has gotten involved?

Question #2:
Anyone know if make, model, serial number, and buyer are kept on FBI database (de facto registration), as they were under Chief White House Cook and Baby Killer Reich Fuhrer Reno…and NOT deleted after 90 days as the law states?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm betting that unless there is a huge amount of complaints filed that the GBI/GA Govt. just considers this one less thing to be hassled with. I doubt that they have even given it a second tought.

As faras it taking a bunch of time, I haven't heard that to be a complaint. I do very few transfers, so I am not a viable sample, but the fellows from the local shops have not been complaining about the process. Friday night they were overloaded around the 4-6 hour I understand, but I did a transfer over the phone at about 8:30 that was instant.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Question #2:
Anyone know if make, model, serial number, and buyer are kept on FBI database (de facto registration), as they were under Chief White House Cook and Baby Killer Reich Fuhrer Reno…and NOT deleted after 90 days as the law states?

When the dealer gave the NICS lady my info, it was all demographic. He never provided any info about the firearm other than the fact it was a handgun and not a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It's very annoying.  My last purchase took 24 hours for them to clear me.  This was about a week ago.  I have my concealed carry permit, but that doesn't mean shit apparently.  I hope they fix this.  Makes me feel paranoid when they tell me that my purchase is "on hold".
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
We have less than 5% delayed/ declined. No increase after the CCW permit became non usable. The check only requires personal info, except wether it is a longgun or handgun.  Georgia dropped the ball on this. They were informed in May of 05 about not being in compliance. They are supposed to do a background check every year for the  CCW permits. In 6 months they had done nothing to change/ fix it.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
BookHound,

Once again, govt proves it works.    Your uncle was arrested for a VICTIMLESS crime: the state calls it a crime; therefore, it is a crime, regardless if anyone was harmed in the process.  It was a crime against the state.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but your uncle was done wrong twice in his life: first for being charged with a nonsense crime; second for having to pay for it the rest of his life.  I call this complete and total BS!  

BTW, paranoia is nothing less than perfect awareness.  hahaha  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
bought a lower from JKiser (great deal by the way), the background check took about 5 mins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top