Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
How gun friendly is GA? I know they have a CPL but how about open carry? I know about metro ATL not being gun friendly but how about the rest of the state? I think you also allow class III weapons but how are LEOs for signing off on them. How about places to shoot and most importantly how accepted are guns in general? Thanx AP
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
We are a free state.  Guns are part of the culture here.  I can open carry and no one gives me a second look.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, I don't know if GA is gun friendly enough, just look how small my collection is, they should issue you a new one every month!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Once you get 50 mi out from Atlanta all is cool
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Once you're out of the metro & suburban areas I don't think anyone cares what you're carrying as long as you're being safe and acting normal.

Fulton, Gwinnett Co and I'm sure a few other metro Co. CLEO will not sign off on C3.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Am I dreaming?   Or did I read somewhere that if you are a corporation you can bypass the CLEO sign off in a c3 form.  If that's the case I bet a lot of Gwinnettians will be forming Corps.  I see an LLC in my future.  Someone wake me if I am dreaming.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Not dreaming...if you form a corporateion then no cleo sign off is needed. OTOH Im not sure what all of the ramifications of going that route are. Im still investigation all this myself.

Thanx for all of the inputs!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Legally, open carry is only allowed if you have a carry license, or are hunting on private land with permission of the owner.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Am I dreaming?   Or did I read somewhere that if you are a corporation you can bypass the CLEO sign off in a c3 form.  If that's the case I bet a lot of Gwinnettians will be forming Corps.  I see an LLC in my future.  Someone wake me if I am dreaming.

That is true...

My HK53 that I'm building will be a corporation gun...

We are very gun friendly!

I'm having a hard time thinking of things you can't have here...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Legally, open carry is only allowed if you have a carry license, or are hunting on private land with permission of the owner.

Im glad you mentioned this: In NH, where I lived for some time, the game police arrested a hunter who was carrying concealed (in the woods in the middle of 'no where'). He didnt have a CCW and b/c his HG was covered mostly by an oversized jacket he was arrested for carrying w/o a permit. He was wearing the HG on a belt on the outside of his jacket so clearly his intent wasnt to conceal it. As a result of the arrest his HG, rifle and hunting license were taken. He won his case in court though as the court held the law wasn't applied correctly in the case of hunting given the circumstances. All that said to ask whether carrying a HG during hunting season would be an issued. For instance if you were cruising our own land (I suspect youre given a pass). I know some states don't allow any FA in the woods during some parts of the season (like bow). Is this the case in GA?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Once you're out of the metro & suburban areas I don't think anyone cares what you're carrying as long as you're being safe and acting normal.

Fulton, Gwinnett Co and I'm sure a few other metro Co. CLEO will not sign off on C3.

I've had no problems getting sign-offs in Fulton county for the past 2 years; also the last sheriff in Gwinnett would sign-off its the new one giving a little trouble from what I've been hearing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not entirely true.  You can get a sign off on machine guns and short barreled rifles from the sheriff easily.  Unfortunately he will not sign off on silencers.

Corporations do allow you to avoid sign offs, photos, finger print cards and speed up the approval process.  

I will also mention that the “gun friendliness” of individual localities is irrelevant in Georgia because the state has preeminence on the regulation of firearms.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
It could sure be a lot better.  There are a lot of restrictions on where we can carry, specifically the "public gathering" clause and resteraunts that serve alcohol being off limits.  Personally I am pissed at the Republicans, they didn't do anything for us this year.  Now that they are in control of the legislature and the governorship you would think they would remember who supported them all these years.  I wrote my representative about doing away with some of the caarry restrictions (like I do every year) and he didn't bother to write me back (like he did every year).  And since I live in Gwinnett the CLEO won't sign off on suppressors.

I think after I retire I will move to Florida, now there is a gun friendly state!  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are making me miss GA even more...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

HE LIVES!

You are the dumbass that moved!

How are you doing?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HE LIVES!

You are the dumbass that moved!

How are you doing?

Howdy!

Alive and well!  

Doing fine here.   Getting used to pitch black skies at 4:30pm during Winter but still bright until past 10pm in summertime.    However, overall weather is great (I'm not supposed to broadcast this, though).  

The part that sucks is that I still could not fire a single shot since I moved last year.   Too busy with business travels, house remodeling and other stuff.   I'm sensing a rebelion in the gun vault.      But this is a 2006 resolution that will be fixed.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top