Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 11:30:37 AM EDT
Homeowner Guns Down Intruder

POSTED: 6:25 am EST December 14, 2005

MACON -- A 75-year-old man shot and killed a burglar who came into his home.

Randolph Baker, 21, died at a hospital after being shot in the head Tuesday afternoon, Macon police Lt. Carl Fletcher said.

The resident, whose name was not released, returned home around 2:15 p.m. and found two intruders in his home, police said.

Police Capt. Wayne Avery said the man saw one intruder run from the living room to a bedroom and saw him climb out the window. But when the man turned around, he saw the second intruder -- later identified as Baker -- coming toward him, Avery said.

The homeowner fired a handgun once, hitting Baker.

"He's kind of shook up," Avery said of the homeowner.

Police returned to the neighborhood shortly before 5 p.m. and arrested Jerald Jerome Bright, 26, who is believed to have been Baker's accomplice. He has been charged him with burglary, said Sgt. Cornelius Pendleton.

The shooting seems to be a case of self defense, Fletcher said. But he said the case will be sent to the Bibb County district attorney, who will decide if charges will be filed.

"He reacted," Fletcher said of man. "That was his reaction to protect himself and his property."

Baker had been in the Bibb County jail 12 times in the past three years, Bibb County sheriff's spokesman Capt. David Davis said. Baker had cases pending in Bibb County Superior Court for obstruction, possession of cocaine and theft by receiving, according to the Bibb County Superior Clerk's Office.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The guy gets off one round and scores a headshot....well done!

ARH

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

ARH

Yeah, what happened to two to the chest?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARH

Yeah, what happened to two to the chest?  

Showoff!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Next, we will hear from Randolph's distraught mama what a good boy he was.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, Thugs in Macon aren't doing so well, this has to be the second or third thug to take a dirt nap down here in the past few months.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn, Thugs in Macon aren't doing so well, this has to be the second or third thug to take a dirt nap down here in the past few months.

Eventually they learn and stop. Or die. Same difference to me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Next, we will hear from Randolph's distraught mama what a good boy he was.

Or ask "Why didn't he fire a warning shot or just shoot him in the leg?"

That 75 year old man just saved the tax payers some $$$ and possibly saved someone's life by taking ole Randolph out.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ARH

At 75 YOA no less!

I wonder if the robber was planning on beating or killing the old man? Why else would he walk towards the old guy?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
They should givee him a break on his property taxes.  Think how much money he saved Bibb County.  They don't have to  prosecute the POS.

Baker had been in the Bibb County jail 12 times in the past three years, Bibb County sheriff's spokesman Capt. David Davis said. Baker had cases pending in Bibb County Superior Court for obstruction, possession of cocaine and theft by receiving, according to the Bibb County Superior Clerk's Office.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARH

At 75 YOA no less!

I wonder if the robber was planning on beating or killing the old man? Why else would he walk towards the old guy?

I think he would have beaten the man to death.
That's why I say hey man nice shot.
I would buy him a beer.

ARH

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
12 times in 4 years eh? That averages out to once every four months.........He got what ha deserved. Not just for getting into so much trouble, But for breaking into someones home and then trying to attack him.....especially an old ass man, Who was a gaad shot! The 2 in the chest should have came after the one to the head, Just to make sure he didnt live to sue him!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Home invasions seem to be on the uprise in the Augusta area, so robberies aren't as publiced. I've been through the robbery deal here once and it's a bit devastating getting everything back together and replaced. This fellow not only saved the taxpayers a bunch of money, he saved himself a bit of grief of replacing many things in his home, and at 75, I'm sure he has accumulated a great deal of 'irreplcable' items.

This will be a good case to watch and follow up on to see what the local jurisdiction puts this fellow through for defending his castle. If they confiscate his pistol for the 'investigation' maybe we can get a fund raiser together to replace his pistol, especially if it's his only one.

Anyone in the Macon area up for finding out a bit more?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If they confiscate his pistol for the 'investigation' maybe we can get a fund raiser together to replace his pistol, especially if it's his only one.

Count me in.

ARH

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Home invasions seem to be on the uprise in the Augusta area, so robberies aren't as publiced. I've been through the robbery deal here once and it's a bit devastating getting everything back together and replaced. This fellow not only saved the taxpayers a bunch of money, he saved himself a bit of grief of replacing many things in his home, and at 75, I'm sure he has accumulated a great deal of 'irreplcable' items.

This will be a good case to watch and follow up on to see what the local jurisdiction puts this fellow through for defending his castle. If they confiscate his pistol for the 'investigation' maybe we can get a fund raiser together to replace his pistol, especially if it's his only one.

Anyone in the Macon area up for finding out a bit more?

It was a shotgun, but I'll kick in.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#15]
All I can say is I hope this hits mainstream news.  These type of stories I would think once other potential robbers hear about it will think twice before breaking into my house or some other Arfcom members house and wind up like this guy.  

Head shot for the ole man, very nice and with a shotgun no less.  Supprised he aimed for the head and not the chest with a scatter gun.

Anyway, if this man needs another gun and the police confiscate his for "evidence" then yes I would chip in a small ammount to help out.  I would hate to think his friends might try to go over there and cause more trouble for this guy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All I can say is I hope this hits mainstream news.  These type of stories I would think once other potential robbers hear about it will think twice before breaking into my house or some other Arfcom members house and wind up like this guy.  

Head shot for the ole man, very nice and with a shotgun no less.  Supprised he aimed for the head and not the chest with a scatter gun.

Anyway, if this man needs another gun and the police confiscate his for "evidence" then yes I would chip in a small ammount to help out.  I would hate to think his friends might try to go over there and cause more trouble for this guy.

Not exactly "main stream" media, but there's at least one blogger who is keeping a running tab on incidents like this.  Check this out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top