Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2005 3:35:09 AM EDT
hey guys,

i applied for my permit about a 3 weeks ago, and was told at that time it could take up to 4 months.  how long did ya'll have to actually wait?  it bothers me that it takes this long...they can run a background check in 5 minutes at a gun show.  what gives?

thanks,

-matt
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Cobb County, got mine about one year ago, it took about 3 months.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Got mine in cobb in 98, took abour 6 weeks and I had to get refingerprinted. Pretty good for the government. Got ir renewed in douglas. took like 2 weeks.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BOOKHOUND
How long have you been married?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Glynn county and have been waiting close to 3 months now.

Best thing to do is try and forget about it and settle in for the wait.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
2 yrs ago in Gwinnett took mine about 8 weeks.

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I got mine almost 2 yaers ago in Bulloch County, it took about 8 weeks.

Happy Anniversary!
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Took mine 6 weeks to get approved in Gwinnett.

MadDog
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#8]
About 6 weeks in Chatham (Savannah) when I lived down there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
1st time took 6 months in Fulton.

ARH

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
6 weeks for me in Gwinnett.

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I got ours in one week in Habersham. We moved here from PA. in March 2005 were we had permits to carry for over eight years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Wife and I applied about 2 months apart and both took about 9 weeks in Paulding Co.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I am in Cobb and am sitting at 6 weeks right now. When I applied, the clerk said at least 2 months.

It may depend on how rare/uncommon your name is as well.

A
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#15]
hey mattellis, mine took right at four months to get.  I applied the first of August 2004 and got it the week before Christmas.  it was a nice Christmas present. hisJS2071
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Took mine 6 weeks to get approved in Gwinnett.

MadDog

+2 that's how long it took for my wife and I.  We applied at different times over the past 2 years in Gwinnett.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine in Cobb took 3 months.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
3 months in Cobb for me and my GF. Same day application, One day difference in issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Chatham County and applied for my permit in December 2004 and received it in April 2005.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#20]
SON!

Got mine today.  Issue date was 10/31.  I think I filled out my paperwork the first week of Aug.

Amazing how states are different.  Was expecting something that would resemble a driver license.  This thing is plain jane.  Piece of paper + plastic laminate = Firearm License.  

Who cares.  I'm legal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#21]
ok, 3.5 months now, and still no card.  i stopped by the probate court office on friday, and they said the folks in atlanta were backed up because of christmas.  are they feeding me a line?  is there anyone i should call to expediate this?

-matt
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Took The Monk and I about 6 weeks in Gwinnett.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BOOK!!!

Mrs. Monk
http://thebaldmonk.net/avatar/celticmom.jpg
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#23]
guys and girls,
There are several factors.
First, how long to get the FBI and GBI to process the print cards
How soon that info gets back to the probate court
How quick the probate court processes the application after the print cards have been returned

The county has nothing whatsoever to do with how fast the GBI and FBI process the cards.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
10 years ago, I applied and it took 90 days. I reupped last week and got the new third issued one yesterday. plane jane piece of paper wiyh plastic over it and its already coming apart. But like the man said ,I'm lagal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
guys and girls,
There are several factors.
First, how long to get the FBI and GBI to process the print cards
How soon that info gets back to the probate court
How quick the probate court processes the application after the print cards have been returned

The county has nothing whatsoever to do with how fast the GBI and FBI process the cards.

Fulton County is known to slow the process as much as they can.  They can delay getting the cards to the proper authorities.

Look at who runs Fulton.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#26]
that may be true......it sucks if it is.   There isn't an excuse for deliberately delaying a legal act for a law abiding citizen, especially if the delay is intentional.....of course, having been around Fulton Co Courts a time or two, I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't give a damn about anyone
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm actually waiting till move to Cobb Co. before applying. I am currently in Fulton Co.

On a side note, how long do these permits last?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Fulton County is known to slow the process as much as they can.  They can delay getting the cards to the proper authorities.

Look at who runs Fulton.

While this may be a common misconception or an "opinion with a side of agenda", it is not true.

I know for a fact that the court in FulCo simply batches these for signature.   Things take longer when the volume increases as significantly as it has in the last few years.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
that explaination makes a lot more sense....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]
yeah, while i won't comment too much on personnel in the county court systems, i will say that you have a pretty consistent workflow from most municipal government employees.  LOL

as was posted earlier, GBI's portion is taking a bit longer these days as well.  

backlogs bite however you cut it.  but it won't be long until you are set.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at who runs Fulton.

While this may be a common misconception or an "opinion with a side of agenda", it is not true.

I know for a fact that the court in FulCo simply batches these for signature.   Things take longer when the volume increases as significantly as it has in the last few years.

Just because they "batch" them does not mean they don't purposely delay them.  Shirley Franklin once said that if she would get away with it, Georgia carry licenses would be no good in Atlanta or Fulton County.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Just because they "batch" them does not mean they don't purposely delay them.  Shirley Franklin once said that if she would get away with it, Georgia carry licenses would be no good in Atlanta or Fulton County.

i don't want to get into a big thing about this, but i have direct knowledge coming from the personnel involved.  there is no subjective delay involved in the process.

the mayor of City of Atlanta has no intersection in this process with FulCo Probate Court or GBI.

i apologize if these facts contradict any info you may have been given previously.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't want to get into a big thing about this, but i have direct knowledge coming from the personnel involved.  there is no subjective delay involved in the process.

the mayor of City of Atlanta has no intersection in this process with FulCo Probate Court or GBI.

i apologize if these facts contradict any info you may have been given previously.

I don't care what "facts" you seem to think you know, but I know better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I have been waiting 41 days for my renewal in Dekalb...

Called about it yeserday and was told there was a problem with a "lost" batch at "human Resources"(GBI?)

I was told to call back at a later date.

I feel absolutely Naked without my pistols on me...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Called about it yeserday and was told there was a problem with a "lost" batch at "human Resources"(GBI?)

upon filing for renewal, you should have gotten a paper slip as a temporary Firearms License (good for 90days IIRC, i'll have to check my old one).

--
LarryG, I'm not sure what information you have as you haven't shared it.  if you know of something else going on in PJ Toomer's court/chambers, i'm all ears.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel absolutely Naked without my pistols on me...hr

upon filing for renewal, you should have gotten a paper slip as a temporary Firearms License (good for 90days IIRC, i'll have to check my old one).

--
LarryG, I'm not sure what information you have as you haven't shared it.  if you know of something else going on in PJ Toomer's court/chambers, i'm all ears.

Yes, if you meet certain criteria, you do receive temp permit...

But in Dekalb, and maybe most other counties as well,  you WILL be renewed without having to file for a new permit(ie refingerprint) up to ONE year after permit expires...as did I, a solid 2.75 months after original permit expired.  The sad part is, I plain forgot that my permit expired, irresponsible at the least...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
...I plain forgot that my permit expired...

doh!    happens to the best of us.

now you just made me check mine....whew, 2007, i'm still kosher.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--

It ain't the judge doing it.  Try the anti-gun sheriff's department.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Where is the FCSO getting involved in the process?

AFAIK, the app goes from Probate Ct to GBI and back.

Let me know what info you have and I'll dig into that.   TIA
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is the FCSO getting involved in the process?

AFAIK, the app goes from Probate Ct to GBI and back.

Let me know what info you have and I'll dig into that.   TIA

You have to go to the sheriff to get fingerprinted.  They drag out getting that sent to the right place as much as they can.

I thought you knew everything about this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You have to go to the sheriff to get fingerprinted.  They drag out getting that sent to the right place as much as they can.

In all my app/change/renewals, FCSO has only had hands on my fingerprint cards for mere minutes.

If you can, let us know how you came upon this info.  TIA.

I will not respond to your last comment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In all my app/change/renewals, FCSO has only had hands on my fingerprint cards for mere minutes.

Are you saying they handed your fingerprint cards back to you?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#45]
wahoo! it finally showed up saturday afternoon.  funny how it should show up almost exactly a week after i went to check on it.  anyway, i glad it finally came, and now the search for a g30 or g36 can get started in earnest.

-matt
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Took mine 5 weeks in Gwinnett but that was three years ago.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying they handed your fingerprint cards back to you?

chirp, chirp.

A Representative of the GBI said this about Background Checks:
"It takes GCIC about three to four weeks at this time, due to budget cuts and employee lay-offs. It will take the FBI an additional two to three weeks for them to process the request after GCIC completes their process."

The average return time for the GBI/FBI check is 35 to 49 days.

Those that live in counties that take a long time to return the permit (some average 6 months) should know that it is more than likely the local system that is causing the delay.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#48]
LarryG,

the crickets are due to the lack of info on your FCSO delay claims.  i'll not ask again.  i may have been able to make a difference if that were the case.  

the latest info you have provided is still consistent with administrative delays caused by the largest county govt in the state. (read: not subjective, busy, unmotivated, or any combination)

it would seem that mattellis2 received his in ~4mos flat.

i'm gonna let this discussion end for me here, as we may meet someday, and i'd rather not have it uncomfortable because of some internet testosterone thing.

cheers, mate.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
LarryG,

the crickets are due to the lack of info on your FCSO delay claims.  i'll not ask again.  i may have been able to make a difference if that were the case.  

the latest info you have provided is still consistent with administrative delays caused by the largest county govt in the state. (read: not subjective, busy, unmotivated, or any combination)

it would seem that mattellis2 received his in ~4mos flat.

i'm gonna let this discussion end for me here, as we may meet someday, and i'd rather not have it uncomfortable because of some internet testosterone thing.

cheers, mate.

Got nothing to do with testosterone, got to do with the anti-gun attitude of Fulton County.

You never answered the question of whether they gave your fingerprint cards back to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top