Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 8:26:13 AM EDT
Has anyone used both to the point that they have a preference?

I've used Gunkote sprayed with a HPLV detail spray gun. I baked it for an hour and it worked great.

I like that LCW has more color options, but before I go buying it, how does it compare? I see that it doesn't require baking.

Just want to hear some opinions. (about the paint)
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally prefer the Gunkote over the Duracoat. While the Duracoat does provide a nice, durable finish-I find the Gunkote to be much easier to work with as it requires no mixing, is cured once it's out of the oven and works better over tighter tolerence parts (bolt faces, etc.)
The Duracoat requires mixing and the amount of hardener thats mixed in affects the "glossiness" of the finish. The less hardener mixed in, the flatter the finish and if you run out in the middle of an application-you need to mix together more and if the amount mixed isn't exactly right-you can tell. Duracoat, even at it's flattest still is slightly glossy-glossier than Gunkote or Molyresin at least.
Also, Duracoat requires at least a week before you can start using the item regularly and it actually takes 3-4 weeks before the item is fully cured. On tight tolerence items-like a bolt on a bolt action rifle- I left the bolt out of the rifle for about 3 weeks before I installed it and would cycle the action. Gunkote and MolyResin is done as soon as it's out of the oven.

Right now I've relegated Duracoat to items that are just too big to put in the oven (which is rare) and use GunKote on just about everything else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Lawman- I thought they were different versions of the same thing. I guess I'll stick with Gunkote. I've used it successfully on three different guns.

My brother in law built me a stainless parkerizing tank that is about 36-40" long. I have developed an decent over out of it by using it on top of a coleman stove, and coverig it with a playwood top with a hole drilled in it for an overn thermometer. I can actually control the temp pretty accurately and I don't stink up the house.

First time I used gunkote was in the spray can from Brownells. I has some TCE that I degreased with and got sick as a dog even with proper ventilation. Now I used a respirator from start to finish.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top