Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 5:44:09 PM EDT
Can a person without a FFL, legally send a handgun to an out of state dealer as long as I have a copy of their FFL (a faxed copy)? Any FFL's out there that can help out?

Thanks in advance,
GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind, found it on the ATF's website. Here it is incase someone else needs it. www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

It is paragraph B9

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]

(a faxed copy)?

I wouldn't do it. I have always refused faxed copies becuase I wanted the FFL signed in "Ink" for my records.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
According to the ATF, they sent out letters the other week or something like that, that a faxed copy of a signed FFL is now legal. This is what I have heard on different forums, so I haven't personally seen this "Letter".

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a Curio and Relic license the ATF sends out an FFL Newsletter.  On the front page of the August 2005 issue it says "Please be advised that the ATF will now recognize a faxed copy of a Federal firearms license as an acceptable alternative form of verification".  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
the informaton I read on warrifles (by Derek of AzEx Arms) specifies that a faxed copy is acceptable between dealers. I understood it to mean that I could buy from a dealer by providing him with a fax of my dealers FFL, but not that I could ship myself on a faxed copy.

Just wanted to add to the confusion.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
The biggest thing is if the fax can be read. Make sure the FFL Number is readable!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't need a copy of an FFL at all, it's just for personal protection. Has anyone ever got one from Colt or Springfield or Ruger etc...to send a firearm in for warranty work? No, and it's not required. If you want to verify someone's status, you can use the EZ check system the BATF provides, and insure you ship to the listed address.

That being said, it's a good idea to have one or at the minimum do an EZ Check, and it is customary for smaller dealers to exchange FFL's when doing business to make things go smoother. However, even with a signed copy, you should still check to make sure it's legit and only send to the address on the FFL.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I ended up letting my FFL dealer handle it. The dumbasses at UPS store wouldn't accept the package, due to the fact that I don't have an FFL. Anyway, problem solved, (for now).

Thanks to all that replied helpful info.

GlockSpeed31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top