Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 5:46:06 PM EDT
hi guys, i was wondering what the difference in Georgia is between a concealed carry permit and a standard firearms permit, or is there a difference at all?  are they the same?  how hard are they to get?  thanks for the help  h.gif
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Georgia only offers one type of permit, and it's just a carry license.  Can't carry without one, open or concealed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out www.packing.org.  They have tons of information regarding the GA firearms permit as well as licensing information for all of the other states.  

***edited 'cause I ain't so good at grammar
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
man, is it just me, or are there a lot of things you CANT do while carrying?  after looking at packing.org its clear that its illegal to carry in all the places where you actually might need to defend yourself.  ie marta, public parks, publicly owned building, gatherings, places that serve alcohol (which is almost everywhere), anywhere near a school (which is just about everywhere else), etc, etc.   Wouldnt you guys agree that these places would have a higher rate of crime? and i am sure thats no coincidence either.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
man, is it just me, or are there a lot of things you CANT do while carrying?  after looking at packing.org its clear that its illegal to carry in all the places where you actually might need to defend yourself.  ie marta, public parks, publicly owned building, gatherings, places that serve alcohol (which is almost everywhere), anywhere near a school (which is just about everywhere else), etc, etc.   Wouldnt you guys agree that these places would have a higher rate of crime? and i am sure thats no coincidence either.  

Just to clarify, publicly owned buildings means govt buildings, not malls, stop and robs, or anything like that.

As for schools, they make an exception if you are parked to pick up a student, just don't get out of the car with it.  The rule about so much distance from a school has several exceptions.  Read the statutes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Any private establishment (malls, Walmarts, etc) can deny you from carrying onto their premise and should have signs posted and visible at obvious spots.  However, lots of these places will post a small sign in the middle of nowhere, or none at all.  If you are "bulging" and get the law sicked on you while shopping at these places, have the officer show you the "visible" signs that are posted before they try to charge you with some b.s. charge.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
How long does it usually take for first timers to get their license?  I sent my stuff off a few weeks ago and the lady at the courthouse said it would probably be 4 months.

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How long does it usually take for first timers to get their license?  I sent my stuff off a few weeks ago and the lady at the courthouse said it would probably be 4 months.

Just wondering.

Took 11 weeks for me in Barrow.  That was about a year and a half ago.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

I think there's a section in GA Criminal Code Book that states that a concealed carry permit must be issued within 45 days.  Don't know if thats regular days or business days.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

It depends on your county.  Gwinnett issued mine in approx. 5 weeks.  It probably depends upon whether they are receiving lots of applications, i.e. after 9/11.  IIRC, the lady in Gwinnett Probate Court told me it would take 3 - 4 months.  I think they tell you that so you won't keep calling and bugging them.  Hopefully it is the same in your County.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
"I think there's a section in GA Criminal Code Book that states that a concealed carry permit must be issued within 45 days. Don't know if thats regular days or business days."

Business days. Government offices don't work on or count weekends when processing paperwork such as that for gun permits.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it took mine about 30 days even. This was in Cobb.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Buddy who just applied was told four to six MONTHS for Fulton Co.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
2 weeks when i was in newton co.

country boys work fast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll try not thinking about it.  I figured 3 or 4 months would be worst case.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine took 13 weeks in Columbia County.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Took two months for me - Cobb
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Heh, I applied for mine in Fulton county 2 and a half months ago and still no word.  They told me 4 to 6 months to get it.  If there is a law that says 45 days its obviously not being followed by Fulton county because from what I hear from other people that applied in Fulton it took all of 6 months to get it.  I also have to go to Gwinnette Co. Courthouse and get my Release papers for my First offense.  I havent done that yet and that will be the 2nd thing I do when I get back in town.  Anyway, anyone in Fulton expect to wait all of 6 months unless your LUCKY then it will only be 4 months.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Buddy who just applied was told four to six MONTHS for Fulton Co.

Yep, Fulton, a Dimocrap bastion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll let you all know how long it takes for Glynn Co.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
In Carroll County 60 days. The Georgia code does say something to the affect that after 60 days if no reason for denial has been determined it must be issued on a temporary basis. However good luck on getting the probate judge to go along with that.

In Georgia it is a Firearms License, does not cover knives and the such. Packing.org has some good info. but remember it is still a web based form of information. Such as it says that no weapons allowed signs posted on private buisness mean nothing, well it does as long as they are displayed appropiately.

Be careful lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top