Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 4:29:48 PM EDT
We are gonna put an offer on another house, last one just didn't work out. This house has a grey colored plastic water pipe with brass elbows and fittings. Is this a problem? I heard something about some kind of plastic pipe that had problems. Please tell me this is not that kind of pipe...

Yes we will get an inspection and all that jazz, thanks for all the previous input all!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's polybutylene pipe. Stay away. Go with CPVC or copper. CPVC if it has a well, copper doesn't last long with hard well water.

www.atlantapros.com/Nav.aspx/Page=%2fPagemanager%2fDefault.aspx%3fp%3d655113

Edited to add link
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let the grey pipe scare you. It was the plastic fitting's that really gave it a bad name. The pipe itself wasn't the problem. IMO. My last house had it with Copper elbows and we was on well water. 11yeras and never had any problems at all. Your going to have a hard time finding a house in the last 15 years that don't have it. Nearly all the house I just recently looked at ( 40 + ) had it. The few that didn't had Copper pipes... Im not saying it's the cats meow, but it isn't a Dodge either........ I personally wouldn't let that stop me from buying the house. Talk to a Home inspector and ask him. The two ea that I did gave it a thumbs up as long as it didn't have plastic elbows and fittings.... But please ask for yourself.... Good luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the plumbing to see how big an impact it will really have. My house plumbing is really straightforward and about 90 exposed in the garage. If a pipe or fitting failed I could easily turn off the supply and put the fix in myself in most cases.

I have black poly.

Good luck. Our first house hunt lasted six months in N. IL. We found the perfect house in our price range and moved in next to a gangsta wannabee who moved in next door with a 15" sub and 4 300W speakers the day after we moved in. Good thing all I had then was 22lr bolt rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link with info on the class action lawsuit.

www.spencerclass.com

My mom had her house replumbed with it only to have it burst.  I work part-time in a hardware store and have plenty of people that come buying CPVC to replace it. If it's not leaking now it's probably ok but you'll probably be replacing it in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from it man, I used to work in plumbing at home depot. That Stuff is junk, I prefer without a well, It lasts longr but is more work to fix it anything does go wrong. If the house has a well then go with cpvc. It looks like pvs but is a yellowish color usually ways flowguard gold on it. If you got any more questions about stuff in your house let me know, Not saying I know it all, but if its not floors then I know whats goin on with it. PS if anyone in the atlanta area needs plumbing work let me know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again guys, ARFCom always comes through...I feel a little better and I am gonna await to see what the inspector says, well if they accept the offer, we will submit it today. The inspection will give us an out if the pipe is bad. I also have the Realtor looking into it. I am curious to what he will tell us...

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top