Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 8:52:45 AM EDT
I will continue to give my blood to the Red Cross, but I won't give them any cash.  

I was able to contribute some baby formula through a collection program at work.  

Does anybody know where I can donate stuff like baby bottles, strollers, baby clothes, etc?  We have a bunch of extra ones.  I suspect that it would be more difficlt/not worth their time for the malcontents to misappropriate these items.  Hopefully they would go to people who could use them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Donate to the American Red Cross, not the International Red Cross.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Donate thru the Salvation Army rather than red cross or united way.  

Much less corporate overhead associated with the SA as opposed to the other charities.

Plus the SA can usually handle other than monatary donations.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why zero dollars will go to any red cross, red crescent, red buddha, red whatever:

www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/345032p-294601c.html

Lavish tastes of card-carrying lowlifes

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"It doesn't say anything on the card other than alcohol, tobacco and firearms cannot be purchased with it," the store employee told me. "There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

"They didn't look destitute by any stretch. You would never have said, 'They must be one of the evacuees.' … The one that I dealt with yesterday was 20. She'll be 21 next month." The source described the reaction of other store-keepers in the mall - which includes luxury brands Ferragamo, Burberry, Judith Leiber and Neiman Marcus - as "outrage."

"It doesn't say anywhere on there, but it would have to be a good amount to be shopping in here," the source said with a dark chuckle.

P.S. I'll consider giving to the Salvation Army.  Thanks for that advice.  

I don't see any reason to give cash to folks who have shown no fiscal responsiblity.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top