Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:55:57 PM EDT
like i have posted.. i have a relative works in atlanta. knows lots of liberal media types.. cnn similar media complexes.. they all started text messaging and emailing their friends mid morning about atlanta being cut off from gas and running complete out by the weekend..

this escalated to phone calls, paniced workers trying to get home, get gas...

went full blown this afternoon. places did run out of gas because of the panic...

governor has frozen gas prices. some places were charging 6 bucks a gallon....

supposedly, according to some reports now the gas line stoppage only accounts for about 10 to 20 percent of delivered fuel and even that should be back up by the weekend...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't doubt that there is some degree of truth to this.........however.

Colonial Pipeline is currently NOT pumping gas through the pipeline to ATL because there is no electricity to run the pumps and values. They are supposed to be bringing some generators in to get the line going. That, and considering the number of big rig offshore platforms that AREN'T producing right now, there has to be some impact. Maybe not a complete dry up of supply, but at least a drop in it.

As I said before, it isn't the situation that I worry with, it is how the sheeple react to it. Right now, they are freaking out near me. Gas lines at the local stations are hundreds of yards long, including the local Kroger grocery store. You can't even park in the parking lot because the lines to the gas pumps are backed down the aisles of the lot and into the firelane in front of the store (I had to go get some meds 'cause I am sick as a dog).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't doubt that there is some degree of truth to this.........however.

Colonial Pipeline is currently NOT pumping gas through the pipeline to ATL because there is no electricity to run the pumps and values. They are supposed to be bringing some generators in to get the line going. That, and considering the number of big rig offshore platforms that AREN'T producing right now, there has to be some impact. Maybe not a complete dry up of supply, but at least a drop in it.

As I said before, it isn't the situation that I worry with, it is how the sheeple react to it. Right now, they are freaking out near me. Gas lines at the local stations are hundreds of yards long, including the local Kroger grocery store. You can't even park in the parking lot because the lines to the gas pumps are backed down the aisles of the lot and into the firelane in front of the store (I had to go get some meds 'cause I am sick as a dog).

the point is.. you will be able to guy gas this weekend in atlanta... there wont be a situation where no gas is available. point is this started as a rumor and lots of it came out of the media here in atlanta.. it was a grass roots type rumor not something at the top... but nevertheless it was the more or less pink sheeple that started bleating first.... and i suspect the ensuing panic gave them a certain amount of schadenfreude...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]

and i suspect the ensuing panic gave them a certain amount of schadenfreude...
Schadenfreude is a dish best served on Wednesday, after all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
like i have posted.. i have a relative works in atlanta. knows lots of liberal media types.. cnn similar media complexes.. they all started text messaging and emailing their friends mid morning about atlanta being cut off from gas and running complete out by the weekend..

this escalated to phone calls, paniced workers trying to get home, get gas...

went full blown this afternoon. places did run out of gas because of the panic...

governor has frozen gas prices. some places were charging 6 bucks a gallon....

supposedly, according to some reports now the gas line stoppage only accounts for about 10 to 20 percent of delivered fuel and even that should be back up by the weekend...

at what price did Sonny freeze it? I saw prices from $3.29 - $3.99 on my way home this evening.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
at what price did Sonny freeze it? I saw prices from $3.29 - $3.99 on my way home this evening.

He didn't freeze prices.  Yet another rumor...

Sonny has done two things:

* Raise restrictions on when gas can be delivered to stations.  Now it can be delivered 24 hours a day, and this will greatly alleviate resupply.
* Promise to go after stations that are "price gouging" consumers - the state supposedly knows what price the station bought the gas at, and will take consumer reports into account to determine if a station was "gouging" consumers.

I've been reading the news wires for 5 hours now and have yet to see evidence that Gov. Perdue is going to "freeze" the price of gasoline.  If there is as much supply as he says there is and that there will not be a shortage, what incentive is there for him to overstep his bounds and fix the price of gas?  The man is running for re-election, people, if he fixes prices his right-leaning constituents won't have him, and if he's lying about supply NO ONE will vote for him.  It'd be political suicide!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Chill out people, the pipelines will be back up soon, probably by the weekend, AND there is a 10 day reserve for just this situation. Gas stations are running out because people are buying it all, some at ridiculous prices. I drove down Ptree at 4pm and one station had $4.99 and TWO BLOCKS AWAY is was $2.89 and BOTH stations had lines.

I am keeping track of how my local gas stations are handling this, and those that gouge will never get my business in the future. Hell, the little quicky mart on the corner pulled down the price and didn't post new ones, and there are still people lined up. I won't be shopping there for gas or snacks again.

The outage is a hoax, I heard a gas delivery truck driver on the radio tonite that said there was no problem except that everone was freaking out and overbuying gas. The truckers couldn't supply it fast enough and there was pemnlty to supply.

Of course I could be full of shit, but I don't think so this time.

Note, no smilies, no sarcasm...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps not a hoax.........

Quote:

Armbrust Aviation Group
Press Release

August 31, 2005… Airlines and oil companies are working on plans to supply jet fuel to at least ten U.S. airports that could be shut down due to a lack of jet fuel caused by refinery and pipeline shutdowns from hurricane Katrina. The airports in most jeopardy for closure include Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Orlando, Tampa, Washington Dulles and West Palm Beach.

Link to article
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Both piplines are running now, though at lower capacity, they are running...just saw it on the news.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Both piplines are running now, though at lower capacity, they are running...just saw it on the news.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

On FNC they said the pipelines to the SE where still down until they could get generators on sight to start the pumps back up.

ETA: They said that it wouldn't be until tonight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't freeze prices.  Yet another rumor...

Sonny has done two things:

* Raise restrictions on when gas can be delivered to stations.  Now it can be delivered 24 hours a day, and this will greatly alleviate resupply.
* Promise to go after stations that are "price gouging" consumers - the state supposedly knows what price the station bought the gas at, and will take consumer reports into account to determine if a station was "gouging" consumers.

I've been reading the news wires for 5 hours now and have yet to see evidence that Gov. Perdue is going to "freeze" the price of gasoline.  If there is as much supply as he says there is and that there will not be a shortage, what incentive is there for him to overstep his bounds and fix the price of gas?  The man is running for re-election, people, if he fixes prices his right-leaning constituents won't have him, and if he's lying about supply NO ONE will vote for him.  It'd be political suicide!

He didn't freeze the, but he said that they know how much the stations pay for it and will be going after those that are gouging.  He said they will keep track of wholesale prices and will be going after stations that gouge in the future.

He was pissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top