Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 1:25:11 PM EDT
It is not the situation that I worry about, but how others react to it. Period.

People are already starting to freak out. Local gas stations have cars backed out of the parking lot.

Anybody have a sitrep on what to expect?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow thompsondd......you beat me to it.

Approximately 10 minutes ago (at time of posting), I went down to the local Chevron at the intersection of GA 9 and Auraria Road, Dahlonega. I live about 1000 feet from the place. I had not been out at all today, so I thought I'd run down and grab a Minutemaid lemonade and a couple cans of Copenhagen (bad habit, I know). Well, I get down to the station, and there are about 18 cars backed up out of the parking lot up the hill on GA 9, in line for the pumps. I immediately shift eyes at the Chevron sign: $3.39 per gal for 87. Since I can't turn in from my direction because of the amount of folks in line, I go up 9, turn around, come back - go around everyone and turn into the Chevron bypassing all the cars in line and parking in front of the store. I was not getting gas, my tank was full from a fillup yesterday.

Some guy follows me and parks behind my truck blocking me in. I see him in my rearview as I am about to get out and go in. This is an older guy, probably in his late 40's - early 50's. Right away he starts cussing me. I didn't really catch the first few insults, because he was screaming them so fast. Basically he accuses me of jumping line, being a young ignorant no-respect-having kid. (I'm 27). Then he moves up on me and gets in my face saying how I need to be taught a lesson. I don't notice but a couple of folks are now standing around, and this has become somewhat of a spectacle.

My first reaction was basically one of shock, because I wasn't quite sure what the hell had just happened. My next instinct was to instruct the guy to take a few steps back. I then explained to him that I was there to get items from the store, not gasoline. I explained that the line was for the pumps, and he had no place to tell me where I could and could not park. He was obviously still angry.  I told him to go on about his business and to never make the mistake of cornering me again. He walked off bitching about something, got in his car and completely left the station without ever having gotten gas.

Once inside, two other people were arguing loudly about something to do with cutting in line at the pumps. I think the fact that people go straight to chaos the second something changes in their normal lives is scary. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist or doomsday survivalist, but I would have to say the day that society breaks down and confusion and anarchy ensue, it will have to look something like this.

I will note that I was carrying at the time of the incident. I rarely every carry locally because Dahlonega is a nice little town and aside from the few drunk rednecks looking to pick a fight, there isn't alot of social danger. Just goes to show you what we're all in for if this gets any worse.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
When you see the big naked guy covered in jello screaming in tongues while bumpfiring his AR from the hip at the gas station that'll be me.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Can I have your spot in line?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When you see the big naked guy covered in jello screaming in tongues while bumpfiring his AR from the hip at the gas station that'll be me.

That should at least clear out most of the sheeple waiting in line behind you.

Let me know when you plan on 'performing', because I plan on pulling in about 2-3 minutes after the show. I should have the pumps to myself by that time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
when i went out @ 1500 to fill all my NATO jerry cans i packed. i saw at least 3 heated arguments over cutting in lines, who gets the last blitz can etc. i know people in NOLA have it worse but this was enough of a preview for me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
In the famous words of Tanka Shanqua Ray
DAS NASSTY BAABEE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top