Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 8:07:29 AM EDT
Hey all,

I just moved to Macon and I'm living downtown.  I'm looking for a shooting range around here.  I've heard there's a fancy, expensive club in the area called Eagle Gun Range, and someone mentioned something to me called "Marion Road Gun Club."  Has anyone had experience with this place? What sorts of facilities do they have? Cost to join?

Just looking for any suggestions on places in the area, and any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to shoot my pistols and shotguns, and an SKS with scope I have on loaner.  

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
See if there's anything close to you here.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=370

You're not terribly far from Charlie elliott WMA.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in your neck of the woods. The Eagle Gun range is a good indoor range, but the shop owner is really quirky and everything there sells a premium.

Haven't been to Marion Road Gun Club, but I hear that it's a pretty good range where you can shoot pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
See if there's anything close to you here.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=370

You're not terribly far from Charlie elliott WMA.

But he is a lot closer to the Ocmulgee range and the park rangers there are not lying JBT assholes like the one at CE.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into the Marion Road Gun Club, its a good place to shoot.  They have a 200, 100 yard rifle range, 75 yard pistol range and open area or blackpowder on the right side.  The 200 and 100 both have covered concrete benches and the pistol range is a covered area.  You can go shoot any time, I have even shot at night when I needed to get a rifle sighted in quick.  Its $75 a year and you will get a combination to the gate.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look into the Marion Road Gun Club, its a good place to shoot.  They have a 200, 100 yard rifle range, 75 yard pistol range and open area or blackpowder on the right side.  The 200 and 100 both have covered concrete benches and the pistol range is a covered area.  You can go shoot any time, I have even shot at night when I needed to get a rifle sighted in quick.  Its $75 a year and you will get a combination to the gate.

Bill3508

Big + 1. I was a member there for 4 years. It's unsupervised range. Go during the week days and you will nearly normally be there all by yourself. Be smart and use your brain.....A good place to shoot. Look it up in the phone book and the lady will mail you the forms to fill out. You will get a yahoo  there every once in a while.... They are every where.. Can't avoid them. Just be safe and respectful of others and you will not regrett joining it. Best place there is around Macon. Been there and done that. Good Luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey all,

I just moved to Macon and I'm living downtown.  I'm looking for a shooting range around here.  I've heard there's a fancy, expensive club in the area called Eagle Gun Range, and someone mentioned something to me called "Marion Road Gun Club."  Has anyone had experience with this place? What sorts of facilities do they have? Cost to join?

Just looking for any suggestions on places in the area, and any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to shoot my pistols and shotguns, and an SKS with scope I have on loaner.  

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Here is Eagle Gun Range

I work in Macon, but live in Milledgeville.  So, I shoot at the Old Capitol Gun Club.  300 yard rifle range, 50yard pistol, and a separate skeet range.  $150/year for the 1st year.  That's for the whole family.  Then $100/year subsequent year.  Call/drop by Baynes Army Store for info/membership.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, at $225 a year to shoot for an individual, Eagle Gun Range is a bit pricey for me.  I'll check out the Old Capitol Gun Club, but after calling Marion Road Gun Club, I think I'll end up there. Only $90 a year individual and they will let me pay a pro-rated share for this year.  Very reasonable.

I might swing by the Baynes shop to see what you guys have.  Do you sell ammo?  In the Macon area, what the best gun supply/ammo supply shop?

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah, at $225 a year to shoot for an individual, Eagle Gun Range is a bit pricey for me.  I'll check out the Old Capitol Gun Club, but after calling Marion Road Gun Club, I think I'll end up there. Only $90 a year individual and they will let me pay a pro-rated share for this year.  Very reasonable.

I might swing by the Baynes shop to see what you guys have.  Do you sell ammo?  In the Macon area, what the best gun supply/ammo supply shop?

Plus you can't shoot rifles in there other than for "sighting in".  I've also heard they browbeat shooters there.  I don't know about you but I don't need a chaperone when I'm shooting.  Furthermore, they people there seemed surly, much like some of the dealers you meet at gunshows.  Needless to say, I refused to join.  Nice layout though, but their website is deceptive as it clearly says rifles are allowed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For guns in Macon, try Arvin's, Howard's Pawn, and Ingleside Gun.  The owners at Howards and Ingleside Gun used to work for Arvin's, so you can use that to your advantage.  Call one of the three, and then call the next one and state "so and so said i can have this gun for so and so price".  They will beat it by a few bucks.  Then call the final store and do the same routine.  Finally, call the first and second store again to see if they will beat the last store's price.

As for ammo, try Walmart or Dick's sporting goods.  Don't know if the Bass Pro Shop is open yet though.  Any gun store in Macon will rip you a new one on ammo.  Sometimes, if I can catch my chief in a good mood, I can get ammo in bulk with my law enforcement "discount".
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For guns in Macon, try Arvin's, Howard's Pawn, and Ingleside Gun.  The owners at Howards and Ingleside Gun used to work for Arvin's, so you can use that to your advantage.  Call one of the three, and then call the next one and state "so and so said i can have this gun for so and so price".  They will beat it by a few bucks.  Then call the final store and do the same routine.  Finally, call the first and second store again to see if they will beat the last store's price.

As for ammo, try Walmart or Dick's sporting goods.  Don't know if the Bass Pro Shop is open yet though.  Any gun store in Macon will rip you a new one on ammo.  Sometimes, if I can catch my chief in a good mood, I can get ammo in bulk with my law enforcement "discount".

Bass Pro is not open yet. However, I know as soon as it is, there will be massive traffic at Bass Road/Exit 172. I hope they are going to widen the bridge and make that exit more suitable for high volume traffic. When I moved here, there was nothing. Now there's a Citgo, and we thought that was awesome because of convenience. Now, there's going to be so much it may be TOO much.

Back to the matter at hand, where's Howard's? Is it on Mercer?

Also, don't forget Chuck's in Warner Robins and A-Z Guns in Macon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Bass Pro is not open yet. However, I know as soon as it is, there will be massive traffic at Bass Road/Exit 172. I hope they are going to widen the bridge and make that exit more suitable for high volume traffic. When I moved here, there was nothing. Now there's a Citgo, and we thought that was awesome because of convenience. Now, there's going to be so much it may be TOO much.

Back to the matter at hand, where's Howard's? Is it on Mercer?

Also, don't forget Chuck's in Warner Robins and A-Z Guns in Macon.

Howard's is on Mercer University Drive, across from the GA Dept of Labor.  It's the "old" JD's Pawn Shop building.  Every now and then, he'll have some good deals.  This past spring, picked up a Para-Ord Tac-Four, stainless, LNIB, for $525.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Whew, when I was scanning through the threads, I did a double-take.  I thought your thread was titled: Downtown Macon: Looking to Loot.

Need to get my eyes and possibly my head examined.  

Welcome to GA.  

I'm up in Gwinnett, so I'll defer to the folks in Macon.  

My brother just moved to Northern VA after spending 15 years in Hell Rhode Island.

(Just kidding about Rhode Island, other than the local gov't corruption and the crappy gun laws, it is a nice place to visit.)  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Whew, when I was scanning through the threads, I did a double-take.  I thought your thread was titled: Downtown Macon: Looking to Loot.

Need to get my eyes and possibly my head examined.  

Welcome to GA.  

I'm up in Gwinnett, so I'll defer to the folks in Macon.  

My brother just moved to Northern VA after spending 15 years in Hell Rhode Island.

(Just kidding about Rhode Island, other than the local gov't corruption and the crappy gun laws, it is a nice place to visit.)  

It's funny you mention that. I was in some training yesterday and the contractor providing the training was from Narangasatt (sp?). He said that the Governor, mayor, and others were either in jail or on their way. I think he said the Governor had already been convicted once (but maybe it was the mayor). Either way, sounds like a nice state with bad leaders.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think the governor is in jail (Lincoln Chaffee was/is his name) but the mayor of Providence has been jailed, twice, for various corruption charges.  His name is Buddy Cianci.  A few years ago the feds came down on him and his buddies in massive sting called "Operation Plunderdome."  Don't worry, though--he was elected mayor once already while campaigning from his jail cell.  Chicago politics have nothing on Providence...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top